Thread: Restaurant carry in VA

Restaurant carry in VA

I live in NC and have a CHP and occasionally travel through VA.

Can someone provide me with the current status of carry inside restaurants in VA? Concealed and Open Carry? And in restaurants that serve alcohol? And in restaurants that have "no guns" signs?

Thanks in advance, but after doing a number of word searches, I could not find these answers and thought that someone in VA could provide them quickly.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsondeacon View Post
    I live in NC and have a CHP and occasionally travel through VA.

Can someone provide me with the current status of carry inside restaurants in VA? Concealed and Open Carry? And in restaurants that serve alcohol? And in restaurants that have "no guns" signs?

Thanks in advance, but after doing a number of word searches, I could not find these answers and thought that someone in VA could provide them quickly.
    Concealed with a permit is fine as is open with no permit.

No guns signs mean "No Guns".

Founder's Club Member
    To make clear unlike NC which bars all firearm carriers from carrying in places serving alcohol for on premises consumption, Virginia has no such restriction for those with or without a concealed handgun permit (however one is necessary for carrying a firearm concealed in most public places). The only distinction that Virginia law provides is that those carrying a concealed handgun, who also have a concealed handgun permit may not legally consume alcohol in places serving alcohol. There are no such restrictions for those carrying openly, however, general laws barring intoxication still apply.

* The only reason I bothered to post anything beyond what Peter Nap posted is because I assumed that your concern was in regard to those restaurants serving alcohol, and not just a general concerm for all restaurants.
    Last edited by jmelvin; 02-21-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Cool

I was in Moe's at Greenbrier last week (OC, of course) and totally forgot they even served alcohol (bottled beer) until I got to the register and they had it in an ice tray next to the milk and Perrier.

What is that, some sort of impulse buy?
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    To make clear unlike NC which bars all firearm carriers from carrying in places serving alcohol for on premises consumption, Virginia has no such restriction for those with or without a concealed handgun permit (however one is necessary for carrying a firearm concealed in most public places). The only distinction that Virginia law provides is that those carrying a concealed handgun, who also have a concealed handgun permit may not legally consume alcohol in places serving alcohol. There are no such restrictions for those carrying openly, however, general laws barring intoxication still apply.

* The only reason I bothered to post anything beyond what Peter Nap posted is because I assumed that your concern was in regard to those restaurants serving alcohol, and not just a general concerm for all restaurants.
    I'm glad you posted that Jmelvin. I responded to a private email message thingy (Never got one of them before) and forgot to tell him about the tuck to drink.

Founder's Club Member
    Glad to do what I can. I just somehow foresaw further questions so I figured I'd over inform him.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    Glad to do what I can. I just somehow foresaw further questions so I figured I'd over inform him.
    I probably shouldn't have answered that. I don't conceal and don't drink...so I'm a little rusty on the rules for either.

Thanks, folks. Also found helpful information here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf