• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restaurant carry in VA

wilsondeacon

I live in NC and have a CHP and occasionally travel through VA.

Can someone provide me with the current status of carry inside restaurants in VA? Concealed and Open Carry? And in restaurants that serve alcohol? And in restaurants that have "no guns" signs?

Thanks in advance, but after doing a number of word searches, I could not find these answers and thought that someone in VA could provide them quickly.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I live in NC and have a CHP and occasionally travel through VA.

Can someone provide me with the current status of carry inside restaurants in VA? Concealed and Open Carry? And in restaurants that serve alcohol? And in restaurants that have "no guns" signs?

Thanks in advance, but after doing a number of word searches, I could not find these answers and thought that someone in VA could provide them quickly.

Concealed with a permit is fine as is open with no permit.

No guns signs mean "No Guns".

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
To make clear unlike NC which bars all firearm carriers from carrying in places serving alcohol for on premises consumption, Virginia has no such restriction for those with or without a concealed handgun permit (however one is necessary for carrying a firearm concealed in most public places). The only distinction that Virginia law provides is that those carrying a concealed handgun, who also have a concealed handgun permit may not legally consume alcohol in places serving alcohol. There are no such restrictions for those carrying openly, however, general laws barring intoxication still apply.

* The only reason I bothered to post anything beyond what Peter Nap posted is because I assumed that your concern was in regard to those restaurants serving alcohol, and not just a general concerm for all restaurants.

Last edited:

wylde007

I was in Moe's at Greenbrier last week (OC, of course) and totally forgot they even served alcohol (bottled beer) until I got to the register and they had it in an ice tray next to the milk and Perrier.

What is that, some sort of impulse buy?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
To make clear unlike NC which bars all firearm carriers from carrying in places serving alcohol for on premises consumption, Virginia has no such restriction for those with or without a concealed handgun permit (however one is necessary for carrying a firearm concealed in most public places). The only distinction that Virginia law provides is that those carrying a concealed handgun, who also have a concealed handgun permit may not legally consume alcohol in places serving alcohol. There are no such restrictions for those carrying openly, however, general laws barring intoxication still apply.

* The only reason I bothered to post anything beyond what Peter Nap posted is because I assumed that your concern was in regard to those restaurants serving alcohol, and not just a general concerm for all restaurants.

I'm glad you posted that Jmelvin. I responded to a private email message thingy (Never got one of them before) and forgot to tell him about the tuck to drink.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Glad to do what I can. I just somehow foresaw further questions so I figured I'd over inform him. :)

I probably shouldn't have answered that. I don't conceal and don't drink...so I'm a little rusty on the rules for either.