• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

From Indiana, Visiting Pittsburgh OC Question

NoxImus

So, As the title says I'm from Indiana, and I'm Visiting Pittsburgh for a business trip. I know that my LTCH is accepted over here, but i was wondering if there was any stipulation behind open carrying with an out of state license? I'd much rather open carry tonight when I go out to dinner, but I'd rather not get a ticket or get thrown in jail on my out of town visit. Also, are there any good restaurants in this area? I saw one that caught my eye off the highway called Damians Grill, or something of that nature. I'm in the mood for a steak, and I'd like to try something local. :banana:

NoxImus

well I just called the PA state police. From what the guy told me it is an OPEN CARRY ONLY state, and that the gun must be visible on my side. I said alright, just wanted to make sure. So I take it you cannot CC in PA? I love how different it is from Indiana, people are so bashful when it comes to guns and often throw fits when they see them in the open.

NoxImus

I went to Olive Garden, and a few guest notice that I had a handgun on me. I could tell some were going to throw a fit because when I was walking in I saw a wife slap her husband to look at me walking through the parking lot:eek:. The manager came to my table to tell me that it's a CC only state, and I corrected him. I told him that I did research, called the state police, and that in fact PA is a OPEN carry state. After showing him my Indiana LTCH permit (I know I didnt need to, but I wanted to help calm the minds of the other guest that might have been listening in), he went ahead and called the police anyways (drawing more attention to me) they never asked to speak with me, I just saw the police car, two officers, and the manager outside talking. He came in and apologized for everything that I had been through, though I didn't really care. I told him some other things about the laws that he did not know, he said I was a nice guy (I was very calm, and extremely polite to the manager, and my server who had no idea that I was carrying) and that he wanted to buy me desert. He handled it pretty well from what I could tell. He was from WV so he was unsure of the laws, and apparently so were some of the guests. So, hats off to Olive Garden for doing the Due diligence and finding out the laws before raising a huge fit. :banana:

Motofixxer

That's cool you didn't get harassed. I guess some may consider it harassment. But I wouldn't as long as it's all polite and cordial. At least the manager handled it responsibly and made an offer to calm the situation. Multiple people were educated, so I would say it was a win all around.

:banana:

The_Pennsylvanian

The Trooper you spoke to apparantly doesn't know diddly. Concealed Carry DOES exist in PA, but to do so you must have a License To Carry Firearms. And it's not terribly hard to get one, unless you live in Philly, which a LCTF must be used to carry in ANY manner, AZ Filthydelphia is a "City of the First Class ". Otherwise Open Carry away !

NoxImus

The Trooper you spoke to apparantly doesn't know diddly. Concealed Carry DOES exist in PA, but to do so you must have a License To Carry Firearms. And it's not terribly hard to get one, unless you live in Philly, which a LCTF must be used to carry in ANY manner, AZ Filthydelphia is a "City of the First Class ". Otherwise Open Carry away !

That brings me to my next question, because I knew all that. But, would my LTCH old up in philly, being from Indiana?

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

That brings me to my next question, because I knew all that. But, would my LTCH old up in philly, being from Indiana?

Yes. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

You may carry open or concealed, you may transport while carrying on your person. You may do all while the firearm is loaded.

The officer is rather mistaken. PA is NOT an OC only state, and PA and IN have reciprocity.

Sig229

I OC all the time on the south side of Pittsburgh and the police dont care one bit.
Which part of the city was this live garden at?

On a side note, I have been noticing A LOT of cars with Indiana plates around the burgh. Something going on between these two states?

Last edited:

NoxImus

I OC all the time on the south side of Pittsburgh and the police dont care one bit.
Which part of the city was this live garden at?

On a side note, I have been noticing A LOT of cars with Indiana plates around the burgh. Something going on between these two states?

I was at the Olive Garden near Green Tree road. I was in town for a little bit of business (we are a safety guarding company), and I stopped there to grab some dinner. Pennsylvania and New York are my sales territory so I'm out this way ALOT, at least two weeks a month.