• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal question need some answers

bmmd321

Hey there fellow CT gun owners. I have a question and was hoping for some answers or direction. My father who is 58 yrs old recently took and passed his pistol permit class. When filling out his app I asked him about ever being arrested. Just to make sure we went to the bpt pd where he grew up. He was arrested and did a year probation 37 years ago. But when the officer looked for his file he asked why this wasn't ever cleared away. My question is does this ruin his chance of ever obtaining a firearm? I appreciate any feedback.

Rich B

It was a drug possession charge

I think you will find the answer here: http://ctcarry.com/FAQ/Details/a9f5ba4b-baf6-434e-89d1-429efff87d85

The following events are considered disqualifiers.

1. Failure to complete a course prescribed by the Commissioner of Public Safety in the safety and use of pistols and revolvers.

2. Felony conviction.

3. Misdemeanor conviction for any one of the following:

a) Penalty for illegal possession. Alternative sentences. Subsection (c) of Section 21 a-279.

b) Criminally negligent homicide. Section 53a-58.

c) Assault in the third degree. Section 53a-61.

d) Assault of a victim sixty or older in the third degree Section 53a-61 a.

e) Threatening. Section 53a-62.

f) Reckless endangerment in the first degree. Section 53a-63.

g) Unlawful restraint in the second degree. Section 53a-96.

h) Riot in the first degree. Section 53a-175.

i) Riot in the second degree. Section 53a-176.

j) Inciting to riot Section 53a-178.

k) Stalking in the second degree. Section 53a-181d.

4. Has been discharged from custody within the preceding 20 years after having been found not guilty of a crime by reason of mental disease or defect pursuant to Section 53a-13.

5. Has been confined in a hospital for mental illness as defined in Section 17a- 495, within the preceding 12 months by order of a probate court.

6. Subject to a restraining or protective order issued by a court in a case involving the use, attempted use or threatened use of physical force on another person.

7. Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States.

This is the statute discussing the erasure of records:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap961a.htm#Sec54-142a.htm

With the limited information you are providing, I would recommend your dad looks into pursuing an 'absolute pardon'.

Last edited: