Thread: While having a team sleepover, coach mentions his CPL

While having a team sleepover, coach mentions his CPL

Interesting article. I think that the REAL issue could be a number of different things; something to think about, though, for those of us that work with students/ young adults in any capacity.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...t_prudent.html
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Interesting article. I think that the REAL issue could be a number of different things; something to think about, though, for those of us that work with students/ young adults in any capacity.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...t_prudent.html
    I don't think the issue should be him saying he has a CPL. I remember my wrestling coaches talking about there are people who carry guns then there are people who carry guns and are willing to shoot you (defensive situation). It wasn't discussed with us but just them talking among themselves before practice. Many wrestlers were around. I do believe one of my coaches would carry into the school (retired LEO) but I doubt he carried during our practices.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

The firearm is definitely a huge part of the "problem", at least to the local school district

"Maxim is on paid suspension from his coaching spot while the school district conducts an investigation into whether he made mention of a weapon or a carry concealed weapon permit that put some students ill at ease."

Like I said, many issues... one article questioned the "sleepover", another said that he "threatened" the students... or they "felt threatened"... and I'm leaning towards the "varsity player has to wrestle JV, makes accusation against coach"... but, time will tell.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 02-21-2012 at 11:06 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    The firearm is definitely a huge part of the "problem", at least to the local school district

"Maxim is on paid suspension from his coaching spot while the school district conducts an investigation into whether he made mention of a weapon or a carry concealed weapon permit that put some students ill at ease."

Like I said, many issues... one article questioned the "sleepover", another said that he "threatened" the students... or they "felt threatened"... and I'm leaning towards the "varsity player has to wrestle JV, makes accusation against coach"... but, time will tell.
    As I have preached to many here, sadly in MI and in particular with gun laws here it is up to the accused to prove their innocence. This being the case, unless the coach has audio or better yet audio & video of the incident/comment context he most likely will be on the losing end.

On the flip side I was taking a college accounting course a couple of years back and my instructor was a former IRS field agent / forensic accounting examiner. He carried what appeared to be a JUDGE revolver in his jacket pocket. Not one student including myself batted an eye at this. Hope springs eternal
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 02-22-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: never type in the dark
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

It is presently against Michigan law for an employer to (through their employment agreement) prevent someone from getting a CPL and conceal carrying when they are not at work.

See MCL 28.425n (2)
    Last edited by TheQ; 02-23-2012 at 12:15 AM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    It is presently against Michigan law for an employer to (through their employment agreement) prevent someone from getting a CPL and conceal carrying when they are not at work.

See MCL 28.425n (2)
    This is a potential violation of district policy. That is the kangaroo court this will be tried in in the immediate future. After that once the coach (if innocent) gets a lawyer I see your cite coming into play here
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 02-23-2012 at 12:22 AM.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    wow, nice find
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

in the past couple months, i got a call from my daughter's teacher. she said that she wanted to give me a heads up in case my daughter said anything to me about an incident that happened during the day (my daughter is 9). apparently, a little boy had jokingly said to my daughter, "i'll shoot you with a BB gun."
    the teacher was so concerned, she was in major damage control mode. the teacher told me the little boy's parents had been called and it was being handled and that she just wanted to give me a heads up in case my daughter said something to me. i told her it was not a big deal, not to worry about it. i said we are not that worried about it and "we're hunters" (politically correct code for gun nuts). and of course my daughter never said a word.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

I don't even see what the issue is.

I mean, maybe the vague references in the article were supposed to be enough to make me understand, but they weren't.

All I got out of that is "wrestling team had a sleepover and mom is mad." No indication of what she's mad about.

Sigmund Freud once said, "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity". For all those that are in fear of law abiding citizens possessing firearms and CPLs, I suggest they get to the psychiatrist ASAP as they are the ones with the problem.

Exclamation sleepover et al.

So - not content to ignore the Second Amendment, they want to inhibit topics on the First Amendment as well?

Banned
    Correct.

Why do people think the constitution really means anything anymore? Don't you get it, it's dead.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Correct.

Why do people think the constitution really means anything anymore? Don't you get it, it's dead.
    It's only dead to those who do not give it life by acting on those Rights!Those who Fight for our Rights are the ones who keep all our Rights alive by their actions as opposed to inactions!CARRY ON!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Quote Originally Posted by hamaneggs View Post
    It's only dead to those who do not give it life by acting on those Rights!Those who Fight for our Rights are the ones who keep all our Rights alive by their actions as opposed to inactions!CARRY ON!
    And those who have the courage to live their beliefs and dare to actually exercise their rights are pilloried by those who hide their rights in fear of public scorn.

DARE to carry on!
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Banned
    We have a CPL system. Try to carry without one. You can't carry in a church without one, despite the doctrines that teach it, and the first amendment. You can't carry in your own car without one. If you have one, you have to disclose, so much for the 4th and the fifth. f you have a medical marijuana card, you have no rights under the first, second, fourth, fifth, eighth, ninth, and tenth amendments. The people who swore an oath to uphold both the law and the constitution only uphold the law, though the constitution is a supreme law. Some states have checkpoints, there is no constitution 100 miles from any foreign border, the list goes on and on and on and on.

The constitution is dead. I appreciate your position, but as long as people continue to think that way, we shall remain hopeless.

When your head is in the sand, your @$$ is in the air for all to see.

Oh, theres the double jeopardy law known as drivers responsibility, that takes care of another one.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 02-25-2012 at 05:02 PM.

I tried to read through some of the comments, and was starting to come to the conclusion that I'd missed something in the story. How did it go from "mentioning a CPL" to "brandishing a firearm"? Or is it just that the commenters believe those two to be one and the same?

read of the comments seems to show there is some local 'political' undertone against the coach which caused this to be brought to the attention of the school board and the folk trying to discredit the coach so they are throwing the everything at him at once.

personally, IMHO i do not believe either subject, sleep over or mention of the firearm/permit, has anything to do with the character assassination going on in this community against this coach, they are just pretenses, per se.

wabbit
    Last edited by ncwabbit; 02-25-2012 at 07:01 PM.