• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oc in june.

chadman

Hey guys i have stuck my head in once in a while to see whats been going on. But my main ordeal is in june i will be turning 18 Now i have been reading and such but may i please get some help on OCing when i turn 18 i want to be following all guidelines and local laws i know about the laws in portland tigard area etc. But can i please have someone explain some more please? I really want to OC ever since what happened a couple of weeks ago.

a couple of weeks ago i had a man come up to me when i was dealing with insurance stuff with some people and he went all crazy and talking about hunting me down and such i already carry my kershaw 1670BLK But i would like to carry around my glock my dad has saved for me for protection.

Last edited:

Dogbait

You said you've read about the Oregon laws and city ordinances, which is good. Keep reading them. Take time before bed to read a section of the laws, soon enough you'll have a basic knowledge of them. (You don't need to be able to recite them word for word)

You take small steps, which in my case, worked for me. Your situational awareness is important when starting out. Start looking around more, glance at areas where people could be standing. Do you see someone walking into a coffee shop while you are in it? Take a few seconds, which honestly all it takes, to observe them.

I started small, picking up fast food, getting gas for my car and getting out to clean the windshield. Going shopping at the store, etc. You will soon realize people don't pay too much attention to their surroundings. Don't argue with an Anti when they approach you about your gun. If they were that concerned about it they would have called the police and not confronted a legally armed person.

You will eventually have an encounter with the police, which you need to prepare for mentally. Some officers will attempt to find something to pin on you. Ask "Am I being detained?" if they say "No" then ask "Am I free to leave?" if they say "Yes" then leave. If "No" then don't talk and seek a lawyer.

There's plenty of threads on the forums if you search about dealing with police, businesses that are carry friendly, etc. Do some searching. We all started out doing it, that's how we learn.

Edit: IANAL... please seek professional legal advice if you need clarification on the laws.

Last edited:

chadman

You said you've read about the Oregon laws and city ordinances, which is good. Keep reading them. Take time before bed to read a section of the laws, soon enough you'll have a basic knowledge of them. (You don't need to be able to recite them word for word)

You take small steps, which in my case, worked for me. Your situational awareness is important when starting out. Start looking around more, glance at areas where people could be standing. Do you see someone walking into a coffee shop while you are in it? Take a few seconds, which honestly all it takes, to observe them.

I started small, picking up fast food, getting gas for my car and getting out to clean the windshield. Going shopping at the store, etc. You will soon realize people don't pay too much attention to their surroundings. Don't argue with an Anti when they approach you about your gun. If they were that concerned about it they would have called the police and not confronted a legally armed person.

You will eventually have an encounter with the police, which you need to prepare for mentally. Some officers will attempt to find something to pin on you. Ask "Am I being detained?" if they say "No" then ask "Am I free to leave?" if they say "Yes" then leave. If "No" then don't talk and seek a lawyer.

There's plenty of threads on the forums if you search about dealing with police, businesses that are carry friendly, etc. Do some searching. We all started out doing it, that's how we learn.

Thanks for the wealth of information on this with ironbar to. I am willingly to try this out and test it out with the new sonic in town and everything else there is multiple places were i can start small. I am just so interested in OC and plus with things going on around my town and the threats i have been getting i think it will end it.

idRATHERbeOUTDOORS

Just be careful with the laws. I'm 18 and have only OC'd once in public so far (in my car on the dash). But I have come to realize that with out a CHL you are very restricted. Especially with locations and where you can have your gun loaded. Also know the local laws on loaded carry. Tualitin for example restricts loaded carry for unlicenced carriers. Though their laws is confusing, it does mention loaded as being a round in the chamber and rounds in the magazine. However they do not say if it refers to all magazines on your person or just the magazine inserted in the gun. So that confusion could get you into a mess with an officer who may interpret the writing differently than you. generally I would try to stay clear of areas with such laws while OC'ing. Unfortunantly for me I work in tualitin :( (I usually lock my gun up behind my seat when I go to work just to avoid that dillemma)

chadman

Well i live in Forest grove there is no city ordinances Prohibiting loaded gun etc.

Is there anything else i need to know also? I have been reading up on this material.

Last edited: