View Poll Results: Safety On or Off While Carrying?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Safety ON

11 25.00%
  • Safety OFF

6 13.64%
  • Don't Have A External Safety

26 59.09%
  • I Don't Carry

1 2.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC/CC with Safety On, or Off?

Question OC/CC with Safety On, or Off?

Do those of you who open or concealed carry do so with the safety on, or off? Why or why not? Just curious. I carry my Glock 22, which does not have an external safety. It is loaded and ready to fire at all times, though.
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Herr Heckler Koch
    CCW: H&K USPc .40 SA/DA Condition two SAFETY OFF magazine replenished after chambering a round

OCW: SA1911A1 Condition one SAFETY ON magazine replenished after chambering a round
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 02-22-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Para-ordnance 14.45 1911 cocked and locked, just as it was designed by JMB.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Ruger bearcat .45 Long colt; no safety.

Hi-point .45ACP; safety off, no round in the chamber.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    All of my handguns are drop proof and when on my hip are in a secure holster; therefore, any safeties beyond the primary (brain) is redundant.

Neither my model 60 nor my model 66 have more than that which my maker provided.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Do not have an external safety. Condition one always.

I won't carry gun with an external safety.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    I am not a fan of any external buttons or levers I have to worry about operating in order to make my gun safe and/or make it ready to fire like right now. The only thing I want to think about is pulling and pulling (pulling the gun from its holster and pulling the trigger). None of my primary carry guns have externally operated safeties, decockers, or anything of the sort. They are all DAO and that works for me. And I absolutely carry them in full battery.... i.e., a round in the chamber.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Depends on the gun...

Got a safety? On.
    Doesn't have a safety? N/A
    DAO? Decocked.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

What gun?

And why are traumatizing me by bringing back memories of that tragic boating accident?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Neither one (Springfield XDm & Kahr) has an external safety
    Full magazine
    1 in the chamber
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Full mag, one in the chamber, safety off.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."
    - Ted Nugent

If it has an external safety, it goes on.
    If it has an internal safety, my finger stays off it.

I'm figuring the manufacturer put the safety there for a reason.

Forgot to add that my CC gun (Taurus 709) is carried with the safety on, one in the chamber. If I'm walking through the rougher parts of town with my Sig, (doesn't have a safety) it's cocked. With the Glock I mentioned, I have a Serpa holster. In my opinion, the locking mechanism on the holster is all the safety I need, and extinguishes my fear that someone can grab the gun while it's holstered before I'll have time to react.
    Once more into the fray.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    I won't carry gun with an external safety.
    Why not?
    Once more into the fray.

Raymond Chandler

Quote Originally Posted by MainelyGlock View Post
    Why not?
    Because for the most part is is pointless. High quality modern guns don't just "go off" without a reason. Most are even "drop safe". A safety is just a crutch, something you shouldn't rely on.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Safety, schmafety... the only true safety a gun has is the hand that holds it, and the mind that controls it. The Glock safety system is as good as it needs to be. If your index finger ain't where it shouldn't be, and the gun is either holstered or pointed "in a safe direction", it's safe. Beyond that, everything else is manufacturer's liability protection! If a separate manual mechanical safety is in use, there is a (perhaps critical) fraction of a second lost - for those people who don't practice. (Besides, if one is good, then two or three should be better. How about adding a biometric recognition system, and a secret password?) Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

My XDm, XD, and TCP don't really have any safeties (the XD and XDm have safeties but simply properly holding the weapon disengages them), but if they did I would carry with the safety off. The only safety I need is my trigger finger so long as the gun can be safely carried without the safety on.

My .357M revolver doesn't have any kind of "safety" at all... except the one between my ears. Has never failed me yet.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by MainelyGlock View Post
    Why not?
    it adds another step between drawing and firing. and each step introduces potential for either human error or mechanical failure.

in my opinion, gun makers add safeties to guns to either appease a buyer who is on the fence about gun ownership or to conform to a law enacted by people with no firearm experience.

it's just an opinion though. I waste no time worrying about how anyone else chooses to carry their firearm.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Belied by the safeties in 1911 design of John Browning, before hyper-sensitive political correctness. Or by the 1908 Pistole-08 of Georg Luger. I'm not so familiar with Borchardt, let's see...of 1893 and no parts labelled as "safety."
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 02-23-2012 at 02:25 PM.

+1 on all those answer! I hate the safeties on my Taurus and Walthers. The one on the P22 catches on my cross draw holster a LOT.
    Once more into the fray.

Raymond Chandler

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Being in Illinois, you can tell who the single "Don't carry" response was from.

That being said, my revolvers don't have safties so I just leave an empty chamber under the hammer.
    On my autos, if they can be carried "locked & cocked", they are. If not, the safety is on as I have no desire for an AD/ND.
    You would limit your already limited capacity? What is the point of that? If you are carrying a modern revolver that is in any condition to be carried then you're just leaving a cylinder empty for nothing. Keeping the hammer on a dead cylinder is for cowboys in the old west.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

My problem is I have SAO, DAO, and a SA/DA, all are different. And them there is my revolver... I carry as per the manufacturer's design...how is that? If it's in the holster with the hammer back, the safety is on. Otherwise...

CZ-82, full magazine, round in chamber, safety off, hammer down.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast