• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC/CC with Safety On, or Off?

Safety On or Off While Carrying?

• Total voters

MainelyGlock

Do those of you who open or concealed carry do so with the safety on, or off? Why or why not? Just curious. I carry my Glock 22, which does not have an external safety. It is loaded and ready to fire at all times, though.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

CCW: H&K USPc .40 SA/DA Condition two SAFETY OFF magazine replenished after chambering a round

OCW: SA1911A1 Condition one SAFETY ON magazine replenished after chambering a round

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
All of my handguns are drop proof and when on my hip are in a secure holster; therefore, any safeties beyond the primary (brain) is redundant.

Neither my model 60 nor my model 66 have more than that which my maker provided.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I am not a fan of any external buttons or levers I have to worry about operating in order to make my gun safe and/or make it ready to fire like right now. The only thing I want to think about is pulling and pulling (pulling the gun from its holster and pulling the trigger). None of my primary carry guns have externally operated safeties, decockers, or anything of the sort. They are all DAO and that works for me. And I absolutely carry them in full battery.... i.e., a round in the chamber.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What gun?

And why are traumatizing me by bringing back memories of that tragic boating accident?

stay safe.

MainelyGlock

Forgot to add that my CC gun (Taurus 709) is carried with the safety on, one in the chamber. If I'm walking through the rougher parts of town with my Sig, (doesn't have a safety) it's cocked. With the Glock I mentioned, I have a Serpa holster. In my opinion, the locking mechanism on the holster is all the safety I need, and extinguishes my fear that someone can grab the gun while it's holstered before I'll have time to react.

Gil223

Safety, schmafety... the only true safety a gun has is the hand that holds it, and the mind that controls it. The Glock safety system is as good as it needs to be. If your index finger ain't where it shouldn't be, and the gun is either holstered or pointed "in a safe direction", it's safe. Beyond that, everything else is manufacturer's liability protection! If a separate manual mechanical safety is in use, there is a (perhaps critical) fraction of a second lost - for those people who don't practice. (Besides, if one is good, then two or three should be better. How about adding a biometric recognition system, and a secret password?) Pax...

Aknazer

My XDm, XD, and TCP don't really have any safeties (the XD and XDm have safeties but simply properly holding the weapon disengages them), but if they did I would carry with the safety off. The only safety I need is my trigger finger so long as the gun can be safely carried without the safety on.

yz9890

it adds another step between drawing and firing. and each step introduces potential for either human error or mechanical failure.

in my opinion, gun makers add safeties to guns to either appease a buyer who is on the fence about gun ownership or to conform to a law enacted by people with no firearm experience.

it's just an opinion though. I waste no time worrying about how anyone else chooses to carry their firearm.