• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT - not directly related to open carry - but ATTN Idaho Falls members/readers

DCR

I was poring over the Idaho Falls city code on an unrelated matter, and found an item that needs to be brought to your attention.

Apparently, it's illegal to store gun powder within the city limits. No weight limit mentioned, no specification (black powder v. smokeless), no "term of art" designation that gun powder like that used to propel rounds from a cannon or ship-mounted gun is different than the stuff we use to reload, no designation of commercial v. residential, nothing.

It reads:

5-14-9 STORING GUN POWDER OR EXPLOSIVES

Any person who makes or keeps gun powder, nitroglycerin or other highly explosive substance within the City is guilty of a misdemeanor.

EDIT---This Link is Dead. See my subsequent post to find the correct one.

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Idaho/idfalls/title5criminalcode/chapter14firearmsexplosivesanddeadlyweap?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:idahofalls_id$anc=JD_5-14-9

Granted, there are many old city codes that are not enforced anymore, but that doesn't mean that the city fathers and LEO's can't dust them off and use them when the situation - or mood - strikes them just right. For that reason, I recommend you contact your city councilmen and ask that the code be amended accordingly, lest reloaders become criminals at the whim of the city.

On another note - it was nice to see another code that harkens back to another time - City Code 5-14-7 prohibits giving or selling any ammunition or firearms, except shotguns, .22's, or ammo for those guns, to any kid under 16, unless you have a note from the kid's parents.

Peace -

Last edited:

oldbanger

5-14-9 STORING GUN POWDER OR EXPLOSIVES

This is a dead link ~ http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Idaho/idfalls/title5criminalcode/chapter14firearmsexplosivesanddeadlyweap?f=templat es$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:idahofalls_id$an c=JD_5-14-9

This is the Twin Falls, Idaho: City Code

6-2-15: EXPLOSIVES:
(A) Possession Prohibited: It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or have under his control for any "unlawful purpose", any explosive...

EXPLOSIVE: Gun powder, powders used for blasting, all forms of high explosives, blasting materials, fuses, detonators and other detonating agents, smokeless powders and any chemical compounds, mechanical mixture or device that contains any oxidizing and combustible units or other ingredients in such proportions, quantities or packing that ignition by fire, friction, concussion, percussion or detonation of the compound, mixture or device or any part thereof may cause an explosion.

There is no City Code 5-14-7

Last edited:

DCR

Correct Link for Idaho Falls here:

Thanks, oldbanger, for pointing out the dead link. I had to search the Idaho Falls webpage to find the city codes, which it has published on another website. I just copied and pasted the link from the address bar, and it turns out it was a bust when I put it here.

From oldbanger's research, it looks like Twin Falls has qualifying language that might get a reloader some wiggle-room, since he could argue he didn't store it in a prohibited manner. However, Idaho Falls has no such language.

To get Idaho Falls' ordinances, you have to go to:

http://www.amlegal.com/

Choose "Library"

Click on the state of Idaho on the map of the US that appears

When the next page appears, click on "Idaho Falls"

Then, depending on your preferences, select either the "Frames" or "No Frames" view (both are fine)

---if you choose "Frames," then you'll want to click on "Title 5 - Criminal Code," then "Chapter 14-Firearms, Explosives and Deadly Weapons," and then you'll be able to see the ones I mentioned (section 5-14-9 - the gunpowder one, and section 5-14-7 - the age limitation).

---if you choose "No Frames," then click "Contents," then "Title 5-Criminal Code," then chapter 14-Firearms, Explosives and Deadly Weapons, and then you can see the sections I mentioned (5-14-9 and 5-14-7)

Peace -

DCR

Last edited: