Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young Girl shot at school

Young Girl shot at school

Breaking news.... http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...hington-school

Not much detail, more will evolve on this sad story, including the fodder for anti's.....
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    Breaking news.... http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...hington-school

Not much detail, more will evolve on this sad story, including the fodder for anti's.....
    My thoughts and prayers go out to
    the young girl and her family.

How exactly is a third grader shooting another third grader at school, in any way an accident?

This kind of "incident" screams negligence on a lot of different levels, starting with the boys Mother and\or Father.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    How exactly is a third grader shooting another third grader at school, in any way an accident?

This kind of "incident" screams negligence on a lot of different levels, starting with the boys Mother and\or Father.
    Exactly I've already had a few debates about how it's not an accident. It comes down to parental responsibility, I had access to a full arsenal at that age but I was taught responsibility and to respect guns. It was my upbringing that is the reason I've never had an "accident" not lack of a gun safe or something else.

Some people are saying it's an outrage that he was able to "conceal" it for four hours but the same people would be outraged if the school wanted to search their childs backpacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardbuck90 View Post
    Exactly I've already had a few debates about how it's not an accident. It comes down to parental responsibility, I had access to a full arsenal at that age but I was taught responsibility and to respect guns. It was my upbringing that is the reason I've never had an "accident" not lack of a gun safe or something else.
    I feel the same way. I got my first gun when I was 10. Heck I still have it, its a Chipmunk .22 that my 7 year old now shoots. I have "gun safety" talks with him every few weeks, or when we go shooting together. Tonight it was about guns and school.... Its sad that this happened, but I do believe in holding parents responsible when an incident like this occurs if the gun was brought from their home....

-Thor

I'm sorry but I don't believe this happened. Guns aren't allowed in schools so reports of this incident could not possibly be true.

/sarcasm

Prayers for the victim without question.
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Yep. They already jumped on that bandwagon:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...chool-shooting

Hello, Mr. Roberts, it IS ILLEGAL for the 9 year old to possess the handgun in Washington, it IS ILLEGAL for the 9 year old to take the gun to school. Two separate criminal violations of the statute occurred. So EXACTLY what the hell are you talking about, Mr. Roberts?!?
    I believe that even out there it is also illegal to shoot another person. So that's three (3) laws that failed.

WE NEED MORE LAWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ELEVENTY!!!!!!!!!!! !!! And they need to make it illegal-er than the current laws!

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46501634...ws-seattle_wa/

According to this, both the father and the mother of the boy have "extensive criminal records".
    Last edited by Dave in Edmonds; 02-23-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Edmonds View Post
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46501634...ws-seattle_wa/

According to this, both the father and the mother of the boy have "extensive criminal records".
    And apparently they're breeding more criminals.

Praying for the girl and her family.
    Before this information I kinda felt sorry for the boys parents for all the trouble they'll be in. But not any more. I hope they get what they deserve.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

fake story. you can't discharge a firearm in a school.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

I wonder:

Is it reasonably possible that the parents own no guilt in this situation? Is it reasonably possible that some set of circumstances entirely out of their control led to this situation? Is it reasonably possible that, as any parent can tell you, that their son did something bad in spite of a theoretical, good up-bringing? I'm not asking if it's likely; it sure as hell doesn't seem likely to me. I'm not asking if it fits clean and tidy standard models of cookie-cutter stereotypes. I'm simply asking if it's reasonably possible.

Because if it is, then shame on anyone damning the parents already. This could happen to any of us, too, however unlikely we consider it. Let's wait for verifiable evidence of wrong-doing before we cast the first stone.

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    And apparently they're breeding more criminals.

Praying for the girl and her family.
    Before this information I kinda felt sorry for the boys parents for all the trouble they'll be in. But not any more. I hope they get what they deserve.
    Let's just cool off and no go condeming people until we know what is real, and what is not. I don't trust the media any father than I can throw them.

Let's first consider "extensive criminal backgrounds"? Really? I would expect a $100 junk gun if that were true, not a $1000 H&K45. People with "extensive criminal backgrounds" generally do not have the funds, or inclination to purchase a $1000 pistol, as they are just going to throw it away after they commit their next crime...don't you think? Just that part smells very fishy to me.

Secondly, how did this family come by this expensive pistol if they have a criminal background? I would think that the police would be charging the parents with felon in possession if that was the case, don't you?

Third, the kid said he was planning to run away from home??? Kids that don't get any discipline at home, also don't rebel and run away????

It would be interesting to be the fly on the wall and know what is really going on here.

We really only know two FACTS: A little girl has been injured, and a little boy is in deep dodo...that is all we really know. Oh yes, and the weapon the boy had is not a cheap highpoint or anything like that.

Let's cool it off untill we know more from more reliable sources.

More info: http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-9yea...0,962082.story

Sounds like a very disfunctional family.
    Last edited by hermannr; 02-23-2012 at 08:59 PM.

According to the Seattle times our favorite senator Adam Kline will supposedly introduce legislation next year

"In Olympia, the Seattle Democrat who chairs the state Senate Judiciary Committee said there is a lapse in state law. "We do not hold people very accountable in this state for leaving guns around the house with small children," Sen. Adam Kline said.

Kline said that he would consider a bill to address it during the next legislative session next year, but didn't sound hopeful of its chances."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...lshooting.html

Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    I wonder:

Is it reasonably possible that the parents own no guilt in this situation? Is it reasonably possible that some set of circumstances entirely out of their control led to this situation? Is it reasonably possible that, as any parent can tell you, that their son did something bad in spite of a theoretical, good up-bringing? I'm not asking if it's likely; it sure as hell doesn't seem likely to me. I'm not asking if it fits clean and tidy standard models of cookie-cutter stereotypes. I'm simply asking if it's reasonably possible.

Because if it is, then shame on anyone damning the parents already. This could happen to any of us, too, however unlikely we consider it. Let's wait for verifiable evidence of wrong-doing before we cast the first stone.
    No the parents are responsible. No the parents have complete and utter control when it comes to raising their children at 9 years of age.

Shame on you for not holding the parents 100% accountable. No it can not happen to any of us, false. You are looking for the easy way out.

The parents at some point and every point have shirked their responsibility in raising a child into our society and teaching that child responsibility. Don't you dare try to let them off the hook.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    People with "extensive criminal backgrounds" generally do not have the funds, or inclination to purchase a $1000 pistol, as they are just going to throw it away after they commit their next crime...don't you think? Just that part smells very fishy to me.
    The piece I saw tonight claimed that the boy stole the pistol from the home of his mother's boyfriend. The father also admitted that he'd been in trouble with the law, but that his child was a "good kid".

BTW, not knowing the specifics of the claimed criminal records, I would still point out that a criminal is very capable of stealing a $1000 handgun, just as easily as a $100 handgun.

That story makes me feel sad. What a waste of good human life.

Why weren't the guns locked up? How did the kid get a hold of it?
    "May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." — George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    No the parents are responsible. No the parents have complete and utter control when it comes to raising their children at 9 years of age.

Shame on you for not holding the parents 100% accountable. No it can not happen to any of us, false. You are looking for the easy way out.

The parents at some point and every point have shirked their responsibility in raising a child into our society and teaching that child responsibility. Don't you dare try to let them off the hook.
    How many children do you have and how old are they?

Quote Originally Posted by New Daddy View Post
    How many children do you have and how old are they?
    2. 17 and 19 and both excellent with firearms. I have been a founding PTA president when they were in elementary school. I have been a high school basketball official for 20 years. I have coached youth basketball in the past as well. I have been around 100s of kids and their parents and kids represent their parents values.
    Live Free or Die!

H&K .45 users. Is it credible that slamming the backpack on the desk could make the gun 'go off'. What kind of safety is being used.
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Latest on the charges:

Quote Originally Posted by Q13Fox
    A 9-year-old third grader accused of shooting a fellow student at Armin Jahr Elementary School in Bremerton appeared in court Thursday and was charged with third-degree assault and one count of unlawful firearm possession and one count of possession of a firearm on school property.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by XD45PlusP View Post
    According to the Seattle times our favorite senator Adam Kline will supposedly introduce legislation next year

"In Olympia, the Seattle Democrat who chairs the state Senate Judiciary Committee said there is a lapse in state law. "We do not hold people very accountable in this state for leaving guns around the house with small children," Sen. Adam Kline said.

Kline said that he would consider a bill to address it during the next legislative session next year, but didn't sound hopeful of its chances."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...lshooting.html
    Spoken like a true Californian.

edited to add: he's from NYC http://www.adamkline.org/about/ my mistake, of course functionally equivalent.
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 02-24-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Yes the parents are responsible (or in this case irresponsible). The great news is that they can be sued by the victim's family civil court.

WA does not need a mandatory 'lock up your gun' law. You can't legislate responsibility. All you can do is manufacture more criminals, which only profits the police and prison guard unions (as well as lawyers).

2. 17 and 19 and both excellent with firearms. I have been a founding PTA president when they were in elementary school. I have been a high school basketball official for 20 years. I have coached youth basketball in the past as well. I have been around 100s of kids and their parents and kids represent their parents values.
    I think your too busy patting yourself on the back to realize that you are blinded by your good luck. I've worked with at risk youth programs starting with AFDC (that'll date me). I've seen hundreds of families that have seemingly done all the right things end up with all kinds of problems. Its not just the poor kids from the broken homes with uninvolved parents that end up pregnant, on drugs, or worse - and it just doesn't happen when they're kids. I've seen the families with kids that did fine until they got to and out of college. You never know what will cause it or when, but sometimes a switch just flips.

Enjoy your good luck. It doesn't always last.

Quote Originally Posted by New Daddy View Post
    I think your too busy patting yourself on the back to realize that you are blinded by your good luck. I've worked with at risk youth programs starting with AFDC (that'll date me). I've seen hundreds of families that have seemingly done all the right things end up with all kinds of problems. Its not just the poor kids from the broken homes with uninvolved parents that end up pregnant, on drugs, or worse - and it just doesn't happen when they're kids. I've seen the families with kids that did fine until they got to and out of college. You never know what will cause it or when, but sometimes a switch just flips.

Enjoy your good luck. It doesn't always last.
    You call it good luck. I do not, it was years of hard work and sacrifice, by me, my wife, my parents, her parents, her siblings, my siblings, god parents, etc...
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    Yes the parents are responsible (or in this case irresponsible). The great news is that they can be sued by the victim's family civil court.

WA does not need a mandatory 'lock up your gun' law. You can't legislate responsibility. All you can do is manufacture more criminals, which only profits the police and prison guard unions (as well as lawyers).
    Correct the parents are irresponsible and should be held civilly responsible for damages. I have not and will not ever ask for legislation for safe's or locking up firearms. It is a phony approach.
    Live Free or Die!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast