• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Young Girl shot at school

FMCDH

How exactly is a third grader shooting another third grader at school, in any way an accident?

This kind of "incident" screams negligence on a lot of different levels, starting with the boys Mother and\or Father.

Hardbuck90

How exactly is a third grader shooting another third grader at school, in any way an accident?

This kind of "incident" screams negligence on a lot of different levels, starting with the boys Mother and\or Father.

Exactly I've already had a few debates about how it's not an accident. It comes down to parental responsibility, I had access to a full arsenal at that age but I was taught responsibility and to respect guns. It was my upbringing that is the reason I've never had an "accident" not lack of a gun safe or something else.

Some people are saying it's an outrage that he was able to "conceal" it for four hours but the same people would be outraged if the school wanted to search their childs backpacks.

Thor80

Exactly I've already had a few debates about how it's not an accident. It comes down to parental responsibility, I had access to a full arsenal at that age but I was taught responsibility and to respect guns. It was my upbringing that is the reason I've never had an "accident" not lack of a gun safe or something else.

I feel the same way. I got my first gun when I was 10. Heck I still have it, its a Chipmunk .22 that my 7 year old now shoots. I have "gun safety" talks with him every few weeks, or when we go shooting together. Tonight it was about guns and school.... Its sad that this happened, but I do believe in holding parents responsible when an incident like this occurs if the gun was brought from their home....

-Thor

Lammo

I'm sorry but I don't believe this happened. Guns aren't allowed in schools so reports of this incident could not possibly be true.

/sarcasm

Prayers for the victim without question.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Yep. They already jumped on that bandwagon:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...y-wounded-in-washington-state-school-shooting

Hello, Mr. Roberts, it IS ILLEGAL for the 9 year old to possess the handgun in Washington, it IS ILLEGAL for the 9 year old to take the gun to school. Two separate criminal violations of the statute occurred. So EXACTLY what the hell are you talking about, Mr. Roberts?!?

I believe that even out there it is also illegal to shoot another person. So that's three (3) laws that failed.

WE NEED MORE LAWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ELEVENTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And they need to make it illegal-er than the current laws!

stay safe.

tombrewster421

()pen(arry

I wonder:

Is it reasonably possible that the parents own no guilt in this situation? Is it reasonably possible that some set of circumstances entirely out of their control led to this situation? Is it reasonably possible that, as any parent can tell you, that their son did something bad in spite of a theoretical, good up-bringing? I'm not asking if it's likely; it sure as hell doesn't seem likely to me. I'm not asking if it fits clean and tidy standard models of cookie-cutter stereotypes. I'm simply asking if it's reasonably possible.

Because if it is, then shame on anyone damning the parents already. This could happen to any of us, too, however unlikely we consider it. Let's wait for verifiable evidence of wrong-doing before we cast the first stone.

hermannr

And apparently they're breeding more criminals.

Praying for the girl and her family.
Before this information I kinda felt sorry for the boys parents for all the trouble they'll be in. But not any more. I hope they get what they deserve.

Let's just cool off and no go condeming people until we know what is real, and what is not. I don't trust the media any father than I can throw them.

Let's first consider "extensive criminal backgrounds"? Really? I would expect a $100 junk gun if that were true, not a $1000 H&K45. People with "extensive criminal backgrounds" generally do not have the funds, or inclination to purchase a $1000 pistol, as they are just going to throw it away after they commit their next crime...don't you think? Just that part smells very fishy to me.

Secondly, how did this family come by this expensive pistol if they have a criminal background? I would think that the police would be charging the parents with felon in possession if that was the case, don't you?

Third, the kid said he was planning to run away from home??? Kids that don't get any discipline at home, also don't rebel and run away????

It would be interesting to be the fly on the wall and know what is really going on here.

We really only know two FACTS: A little girl has been injured, and a little boy is in deep dodo...that is all we really know. Oh yes, and the weapon the boy had is not a cheap highpoint or anything like that.

Let's cool it off untill we know more from more reliable sources.

More info: http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-9ye...possession-of-firearm-20120223,0,962082.story

Sounds like a very disfunctional family.

Last edited:

XD45PlusP

According to the Seattle times our favorite senator Adam Kline will supposedly introduce legislation next year

"In Olympia, the Seattle Democrat who chairs the state Senate Judiciary Committee said there is a lapse in state law. "We do not hold people very accountable in this state for leaving guns around the house with small children," Sen. Adam Kline said.

Kline said that he would consider a bill to address it during the next legislative session next year, but didn't sound hopeful of its chances."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2017573653_apuswashingtonschoolshooting.html

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I wonder:

Is it reasonably possible that the parents own no guilt in this situation? Is it reasonably possible that some set of circumstances entirely out of their control led to this situation? Is it reasonably possible that, as any parent can tell you, that their son did something bad in spite of a theoretical, good up-bringing? I'm not asking if it's likely; it sure as hell doesn't seem likely to me. I'm not asking if it fits clean and tidy standard models of cookie-cutter stereotypes. I'm simply asking if it's reasonably possible.

Because if it is, then shame on anyone damning the parents already. This could happen to any of us, too, however unlikely we consider it. Let's wait for verifiable evidence of wrong-doing before we cast the first stone.

No the parents are responsible. No the parents have complete and utter control when it comes to raising their children at 9 years of age.

Shame on you for not holding the parents 100% accountable. No it can not happen to any of us, false. You are looking for the easy way out.

The parents at some point and every point have shirked their responsibility in raising a child into our society and teaching that child responsibility. Don't you dare try to let them off the hook.

Dave in Edmonds

People with "extensive criminal backgrounds" generally do not have the funds, or inclination to purchase a $1000 pistol, as they are just going to throw it away after they commit their next crime...don't you think? Just that part smells very fishy to me.

The piece I saw tonight claimed that the boy stole the pistol from the home of his mother's boyfriend. The father also admitted that he'd been in trouble with the law, but that his child was a "good kid".

BTW, not knowing the specifics of the claimed criminal records, I would still point out that a criminal is very capable of stealing a $1000 handgun, just as easily as a $100 handgun.

New Daddy

No the parents are responsible. No the parents have complete and utter control when it comes to raising their children at 9 years of age.

Shame on you for not holding the parents 100% accountable. No it can not happen to any of us, false. You are looking for the easy way out.

The parents at some point and every point have shirked their responsibility in raising a child into our society and teaching that child responsibility. Don't you dare try to let them off the hook.

How many children do you have and how old are they?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
How many children do you have and how old are they?

2. 17 and 19 and both excellent with firearms. I have been a founding PTA president when they were in elementary school. I have been a high school basketball official for 20 years. I have coached youth basketball in the past as well. I have been around 100s of kids and their parents and kids represent their parents values.

sawah

H&K .45 users. Is it credible that slamming the backpack on the desk could make the gun 'go off'. What kind of safety is being used.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Latest on the charges:

Q13Fox said:
A 9-year-old third grader accused of shooting a fellow student at Armin Jahr Elementary School in Bremerton appeared in court Thursday and was charged with third-degree assault and one count of unlawful firearm possession and one count of possession of a firearm on school property.