• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

need help

FMJ 911

I guess, in keeping with my personal restriction (on myself) never to clear the holster unless you intend to pull the trigger (or clean it at home)

Not to go too far off track here, but I was wondering about this.

I'm out shooting with some friends, and I decide to get in some extra practice with my carry gun, is it improper to carry that same gun in a holster and draw the gun from it(At the place of shooting e.g a "Shooting pit")? Or what if I'm at a Pistol range?

Still new to OC, I know about it, but I'm still learning!

J1MB0B

It's a good idea to not have a round chambered .....

"Hold on a sec Mr. Badguy, I have to load my weapon before I can defend myself.":banghead:

Some people will tell you to carry without a round chambered and only rack one when you are going to an "iffy" place. How do you know where the "iffy" places are? Crime happens in the "good" places too. Why would you intentionally go to the "iffy" places anyway? Whats the point in carrying if you have load your weapon before you can use it?
I hear all the time that a BG can close the distance of 21 feet in 1.5 seconds. Can you get your gun out of its holster, rack it, and accurately put lead into a target in less than 1.5 seconds? I'm prolly gonna get dogged on for saying this but, i'm willing to bet that most people that do carry can't do that even if they carry with one in the pipe, and i'll bet money that most of them haven't even tried.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
So i have questions about having no cpl in Washington. Do i unload before I get in the car or when I'm I
the car? And do i load in or out the car?
When in the car can I have it in my holster.

It's a good idea to not have a round chambered if you have to do this, since most holsters will allow you to drop the mag without having to remove the firearm. Much less likely to "warrant alarm" that way.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by tombrewster421

It's a good idea to not have a round chambered .....
"Hold on a sec Mr. Badguy, I have to load my weapon before I can defend myself.":banghead:

Some people will tell you to carry without a round chambered and only rack one when you are going to an "iffy" place. How do you know where the "iffy" places are? Crime happens in the "good" places too. Why would you intentionally go to the "iffy" places anyway? Whats the point in carrying if you have load your weapon before you can use it?
I hear all the time that a BG can close the distance of 21 feet in 1.5 seconds. Can you get your gun out of its holster, rack it, and accurately put lead into a target in less than 1.5 seconds? I'm prolly gonna get dogged on for saying this but, i'm willing to bet that most people that do carry can't do that even if they carry with one in the pipe, and i'll bet money that most of them haven't even tried.

JIMMBOB~

Did you even read the thread? Since you clipped Tom's quote and thus rendered it bad......Tom is specifically referring to the OP's question of car carry in Washington. Where the OP (w/o a CPL) would need to carry unloaded (including the chamber) and be able to drop the magazine while the firearm is still in the holster, thus NOT handling the firearm in view of the public. The advice also follows 1245A Defender's attribution of 9.41.270 and thus avoiding running afoul of the law. Jim, your advice is fine with someone who holds a CPL and does not have to deal with this issue.

J1MB0B

Maybe I should have said:
In my opinion, any advice to carry condition 3 for any reason, is bad advice. Even if it is for the reason of the OP, in this case not wanting to unload outside of the car. There are ways to unload without attracting unwanted attention mentioned in other responses to the OP's question. Most of which would be infinitely better than carrying an unloaded weapon with the possibility of using it for self defense, in my opinion.

Last edited: