Thread: Carrying In The Car...Short Article....Worth The Time....

Lightbulb Carrying In The Car...Short Article....Worth The Time....

http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...gn=NewFrontier

Snip: "We are a society that spends a lot of time in our cars. We know that bad things can happen to us while driving, such as carjacking and the like. However, most of us really don't spend much time considering how we will access and deploy our defensive handguns from inside the vehicle."

I'm going to go ahead and install a holster in my vehicles for my primary carry gun or maybe I will install a holster in my vehicles for a secondary gun and keep my primary on my person?

Thoughts?!?
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

I have a cheap Blackhawk holster mounted inside the center console. With the snap closed, that will effectively keep it in place during normal driving or an accident.

If I need to, I can put my carry pistol in it and just wear the holster I had empty, or take the holster off as well.

Doing that also keeps the "ok, where did I put my pistol?" issue when returning to the car from a prohibited location to a minimum.

At some point, I intend to get a "car gun", a cheap .45 or an old .38 and just leave it there all the time.
    "I can only be held responsible for my own stupidity." - Captain Nemo

I'm in the process of designing a solution for my vehicle. I'll be molding a matching kydex, which should blend in nicely with the interior plastics of my vehicle. This will be for a secondary firearm as I want to leave my carry piece on my person. One of the wonderful things about our newly recognized freedom is not having to do "the dance" and I'll be damned if I'm going to being doing the dance again to move my carry pistol to a storage device integrated in my door panel or console.

For myself, I have a car safe to leave my weapon in when I'm away from the vehicle. If I have a cheap weapon or an nice weapon, I still want to keep it out of the hands of someone that breaks a window and then finds my weapon in the vehicle. My carry of choice is at the 5 o'clock position (IWB or OWB), which with the center console in my vehicle makes it difficult to reach when driving. I find that the space between the seat and console makes fitting a old leather holster I have a good place to carry my defensive weapon. Since I usually drive with the arm resting on the console anyway, my piece is at my finger tips where it should be. My feeling is one needs to have their weapon within 10 to 15 inches of the hand when driving. Mounting under the steering column or the underside of the dash was just too great of a reach for my satisfaction. JMHO.

Everybodys comfort level is going to be a personal thing.

JJC

I use an Uncle Mikes Kydex, and I am a right hand draw, but I wear the holster on my left side. I am comfortable drawing it while wearing it on the right side, but I knew immediately, when I sat down in a chair, that I would have draw issues. So I removed the holster and tried it on my left side, basically covering up my left hand jeans pocket, this is where I holster all the time now. I have an office chair at the computer, and it has arms similar in height to most automobile door arm rests. So, while sitting in the chair, I practice drew, keeping the gun within the arm rests vertical plane, (simulating a car interior) and leaning my body towards the right, or center console, while leaning right I also twisted my upper body to keep a squared fire position, with my elbows bent. My keyboard tray is about the same distance away as my steering wheel, and with the cross draw position, the right lean & twist, I was able to easily draw, with no obstacles hindering the raising of my weapon to clear the door frame height. I did this several times at my desk here, and remembered the steps. I went out to my car a couple days later and retried the movements, and the seatbelt was not an issue at all. Since I don't have to remove the seatbelt to draw, it will save me precious time. If the bad guy shoots me first, he'll have to undo the seatbelt to pull my body out of the car, taking time and extra effort. In other words, a carjacker is going to have to work to get my car. Plus, the gun never leaves my control while in the vehicle. Good find on the article though, it brings up important things to consider, when riding, driving, and even when purchasing a car.

On a side note, I like the fact that my weapon is hidden somewhat from the back. In the cross draw position, I can defend my front easier than I can my rear, if someone makes a grab for it. Plus, I can access my wallet without tripping over the holster/weapon, and I don't look like I'm attempting to draw, since I've carried my wallet in my right rear pocket all my life.
    Be safe, be prepared, and carry on!

Alle Ihre Basisstation jetzt zu uns gehören

+1000

Quote Originally Posted by WOD View Post
    I use an Uncle Mikes Kydex, and I am a right hand draw, but I wear the holster on my left side. I am comfortable drawing it while wearing it on the right side, but I knew immediately, when I sat down in a chair, that I would have draw issues. So I removed the holster and tried it on my left side, basically covering up my left hand jeans pocket, this is where I holster all the time now. I have an office chair at the computer, and it has arms similar in height to most automobile door arm rests. So, while sitting in the chair, I practice drew, keeping the gun within the arm rests vertical plane, (simulating a car interior) and leaning my body towards the right, or center console, while leaning right I also twisted my upper body to keep a squared fire position, with my elbows bent. My keyboard tray is about the same distance away as my steering wheel, and with the cross draw position, the right lean & twist, I was able to easily draw, with no obstacles hindering the raising of my weapon to clear the door frame height. I did this several times at my desk here, and remembered the steps. I went out to my car a couple days later and retried the movements, and the seatbelt was not an issue at all. Since I don't have to remove the seatbelt to draw, it will save me precious time. If the bad guy shoots me first, he'll have to undo the seatbelt to pull my body out of the car, taking time and extra effort. In other words, a carjacker is going to have to work to get my car. Plus, the gun never leaves my control while in the vehicle. Good find on the article though, it brings up important things to consider, when riding, driving, and even when purchasing a car.

On a side note, I like the fact that my weapon is hidden somewhat from the back. In the cross draw position, I can defend my front easier than I can my rear, if someone makes a grab for it. Plus, I can access my wallet without tripping over the holster/weapon, and I don't look like I'm attempting to draw, since I've carried my wallet in my right rear pocket all my life.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. Holster on left side can defend left and right doors !!
    May I see your First, Fourth And Thirteenth Amendment Permits, please?

Guns do not make you a killer. I
    think killing makes you a killer. You can kill
    someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is
    trying to ban you from driving to the ball game. (Andy Rooney RIP)

I don't worry about my holster and drawing. I carry a spare two shot derringer in the driver side door pocket.

I push am able to push my holster a little forward while in my car seat which appears to work fine for access. However, after reading these posts I may review these options and just see how long it really takes me to respond with my weapon. If it takes 6 seconds or so then I may need to change my ways.
    Thanks
    The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
    The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose!

I keep it on my right hip. I can adjust it for easy access once the seatbelt is on. I really don't want to remove it because if I need to flee the car in a hurry I don't want to have to stop and grab anything, just go.