• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about CC in hospital.

NewGunOwner

At the hospital in the town I live in, there are a couple signs on the door stating that concealed weapons aren't allowed. I took a picture with my cell phone, but it ended up not being of the best quality. The sign was a red circle with a gun in the middle and a line through the gun. Also underneath the picture, it was written, Violaters will be arrested and prosocuted to the fullest extent of the law. I didn't think there was a law against carrying inside a hospital. I know that some may post that its not accepted and that they can just ask you to leave. Is this true that you can be prosocuted? Please someone with more knowledge give me some help and post the statute.

09jisaac

Signs don't have the weight of law in kentucky. So the "fullest extent of the law" is still nothing. Probably just a generic sign or a sign to keep the unknowledgeable out....

NewGunOwner

I figured as much. I figured it was just to keep the, "bad seeds" out. I have conceal carried in the building on a few occasions, but don't push it because of the relationship my job has with them. We often have to make trades with their pharmacy so I am in and out of the hospital alot. I really hope that I'm not stopped in the hospital because I don't want any trouble. I actually talked to a deputy sheriff today to question him about the sign, and he said he had no idea. Go figure.

KYKevin

I live in Owensboro and they do not allow guns inside. However it is owned by a private corp. So they can ban them if they want. I have worn mine in once to visit someone. I had just forgot. Walked right in the main entrance. No one said anything to me. Doesn't mean they won't though. Guess it just depends on who notices. They use to have signs up. Don't know if they still have them up. Haven't been in there in awhile. If you go to the emergency room side they have a guard, metal detector and two doors you gotta make it through though.

NewGunOwner

If they prohibit concealed carry you are required to open carry in order to comply. You do know this is a open carry forum, don't you?

I know that it is an open carry forum. I come here because its my fellow Kentuckians, and those on here are knowledgeable in both open, and concealed carry. I didn't come to ruffle feathers, just get a question answered.

MilProGuy

...The sign was a red circle with a gun in the middle and a line through the gun. Also underneath the picture, it was written, Violaters will be arrested and prosocuted to the fullest extent of the law...

I've seen those signs too, but I understand them to mean that no firearms are allowed on the premises, not just concealed firearms.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
The sign is a joke. You can still carry concealed, however if it is a pivately owned hospital, and they somehow realize your are carrying concealed and ask you to leave, then you must leave. It is very clear in KRS that ignoring these signs is not a criminal offense. Perhaps you should send a copy of krs 237.110(17) to the hospital president. Tell him he has no authority to prosecute sOmeone carrying a firearm because state law disallows it. All he can do is have you leave.

mem1977

My niece just had a little girl Monday. The entire time I was at the hospital in the OB ward. I was open carrying and had not one problem with staff and security. I was their on two different days carrying. This was at Highlands Regional Medical Center in Floyd County. They have those famous signs, "NO CONCEALED WEAPONS". So I observed their sign and openly carried...

:banana::monkey

09jisaac

If a private property owner wants to prohibit a certain activity, it is his responsibility to properly describe that activity. I'm not required to guess what his signs mean. I've never been a very good guesser. If his sign says "No trucks", I am not going to assume he means "No cars or trucks". If he fails to make things clear, it is not my fault when his rules are not understood. I follow property owners posted instructions to the letter. If he wants me to follow his instructions, he needs to make those instructions precisely clear. I have chosen to carry a firearm everywhere it is legal to do so. I do this for my self defense and the defense my family. If a property says, "No concealed weapons allowed", in order to follow my chosen course and respect his stated policy, I OC. If he says "No weapons", I respect his decision and go elsewhere. If that is not good enough, I will suggest he clarify his request. I am retired from the United States Merchant Marine. If I was steering a ship and the officer of the watch told me "turn right to a heading of 270, I didn't look at the compass and think "well, it's shorter to turn left and get to 270", and go the other way. That wasn't my job. I did as instructed. If I thought there was some misunderstanding or ambiguity I may ask for clarification or the order to be repeated, but in the end I did as instructed. If it didn't work out, it wasn't my fault.

Exactly Gutshot. I ran into this today. A sign similar to what OP posted at riverfill 10 movies in pikeville. Had the knife and pistol in the cycle with the line but underneath it was "No concealed weapons". I, obviously, didn't think this applied to me because I was carrying a full sized gun on my hip. Sat down and started watching the movies and a woman manager said that the "No concealed weapons" include non concealed weapons too. She said that my firearm was "Worrying her customers". I knew this to be a lie because no customers where in the lobby when I arrived as all the movies had already started and the theater was too dark to see a black gun against my black shirt.. So I got my money back and left.