• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Contacted the ATF

MainelyGlock

I received my first handgun on my 18th birthday. Few months later, I bought another one via a private sale. When I was 20, I bought two more and since I've turned 21 I've purchased 3 more handguns. All 100% legal. Not exactly rocket science. You only have to be 21 to purchase from an FFL, but can be 18 for a private sale. Anyone who tells you otherwise is ignorant of the law. It's a little odd that BATF agents don't seem to know this, but then again I wouldn't go to them for legal advice anyways.

Hostile314

In my opinion... its not worth having the record or some crazy crap slowing the process down for you when you do buy gun. I would say, just save your money, wait 7 months and buy something you REALLY want as your CC. You have the CCW. On your birthday, you can walk right into the store, pick out your gun and walk out with it in about 30 minutes. You waited 20 years... what's 7 more months? Hey stupid things can happen. Last thing you want is to be caught in some red tape because you are not "21" yet.

Yea you are right that when I turn 21, I can walk right up in the store and buy whatever I want, but the way St.Louis is I would rather be protected than not to be as early as I can. But on another note, I don't how easy it is to find someone who is selling a LEGAL handgun...I can easily get an ILLEGAL handgun, but I'm NOT into getting ILLEGAL things at all.

cshoff

Yea you are right that when I turn 21, I can walk right up in the store and buy whatever I want, but the way St.Louis is I would rather be protected than not to be as early as I can. But on another note, I don't how easy it is to find someone who is selling a LEGAL handgun...I can easily get an ILLEGAL handgun, but I'm NOT into getting ILLEGAL things at all.

Just about every gun forum on the internet has a "classified" section where you can find private individuals selling handguns. Find some sellers in your state selling the kind of gun(s) you are looking for, and go from there. Just use a little common sense in your business dealings and if it doesn't feel "right", or feels too good to be true, then find a different seller and a different gun.

MainelyGlock

Just about every gun forum on the internet has a "classified" section where you can find private individuals selling handguns. Find some sellers in your state selling the kind of gun(s) you are looking for, and go from there. Just use a little common sense in your business dealings and if it doesn't feel "right", or feels too good to be true, then find a different seller and a different gun.

+1. Same goes for selling, too. I've sold a few of the guns I owned via private sales, and I require a Maine ID and write up a bill of sale with the description, S/N, etc. I've refused to sell to two people. One was a shady looking fellow who "lost his ID on the way up here but was good for it" and the other who refused to sign a bill of sale. Not interested in selling an AR to someone when I'm sure it will lead back to me in a felony murder case. Sketchy!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
+1. Same goes for selling, too. I've sold a few of the guns I owned via private sales, and I require a Maine ID and write up a bill of sale with the description, S/N, etc. I've refused to sell to two people. One was a shady looking fellow who "lost his ID on the way up here but was good for it" and the other who refused to sign a bill of sale. Not interested in selling an AR to someonewhen I'm sure it will lead back to me in a felony murder case. Sketchy!

Why would you require a social security number? Even an FFL can't do that.

Your social security number is a primary window to identity theft.

Maine has a law that applies to this, other states have similar.

No denial of goods or services. Except as otherwise provided in federal or state law, a
person, corporation or other entity may not deny goods or services to an individual because the individual
refuses to provide a social security number.

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/bills_123rd/billpdfs/HP121301.pdf

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You had me adding to your observation for a minute before I deleted my paragraph because I realized he probably means Serial Number...

EDIT: See! I get things right sometimes!

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

Social Security Number is usually abbreviated as SSN. Or at least it has been on every form I've filled out that's required it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Social Security Number is usually abbreviated as SSN. Or at least it has been on every form I've filled out that's required it.

That may be in your case, but I regularly see SS as refering to Social Security and have noted "Please provide SS number."

Edited because I'm getting too far out there. :uhoh:

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

That may be in your case, but I regularly see SS as refering to Social Security and have noted "Please provide SS number."

Edited because I'm getting too far out there. :uhoh:

That may be true, but my in my post I still wrote S/N, not SS. I'm willing to bet that the guy who I refused to sell my AR to didn't even have an SSN ;)

Edit: Haha ok, no more abbreviating for me.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That may be true, but my in my post I still wrote S/N, not SS. I'm willing to bet that the guy who I refused to sell my AR to didn't even have an SSN ;)

Edit: Haha ok, no more abbreviating for me.

But the "S" and the "N" look so much alike :banghead:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
"Excuse me, Sir. Seeing as how the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT, because if it leaks to the VC, you could end up an MIA, and then we'd all be put on KP."

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"Excuse me, Sir. Seeing as how the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT, because if it leaks to the VC, you could end up an MIA, and then we'd all be put on KP."

Why noC when u can OC w/o a CHP or CC w/one (P4P) w/o SHTF or MWAG POI post on OCDO, IMNAL. :uhoh:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Not interested in selling an AR to someone when I'm sure it will lead back to me in a felony murder case. Sketchy!

I am not real interested in selling to a criminal either, however it sounds like you are some proponent of the assault weapons ban.

Beyond war, I am not sure the AR begins to make the list of murder weapons anywhere. I know shovels, hatchets and knives have a lot higher ranking on the list here.

I am not sure at what point the laws were re-written to make ANYONE the decider in who should or should not have a weapon, I simply try and follow the minimal guidelines by law. I do the bill of sale and prefer a CCW unless I know the person, beyond that, I am unable to bitch about the government regulating arms if I am going to do the same thing. It is not a loop hole, it is the law.

MainelyGlock

If I was an advocate for the assault rifle ban, then why would I currently own one?

That was half a joke, and I think you're missing the point. If someone is unwilling to comply with a bill of sale, or provide the identification necessary to make the sale legal, then that sets off a red flag, at least for me. I am within my rights to refuse to sell a gun to anyone, especially if they are unwilling to follow the guidelines for a private sale. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

REALteach4u

You can of course do what you want, but it is simply not unlawful for a person18 or older to posses a handgun. The ATF has made several publications regarding private sales. There of plenty of 18-20 year olds across the state who have been approached by law enforcement and nothing came of it.

Amen!

Never, never, never, never....NEVER take anything the BATFE provides you verbally as fact. Far too often they don't know the law themselves and if you quote the USC and State laws verbatim you'll just tick them off. They DO NOT approve of an armed citizenry as it prevents them from running completely amuck.

That said, even though it's not illegal to make a private sale of the nature we've been discussing you all had better realize very quickly that it only takes them penciling in a rule change to make it illegal. They'll call it a clarification of sorts. So it's really not worth the risk if that person cannot buy on a Form 4473 you should not sell to that person.

The law needs to change to where an 18 year old that can be called into military service, can willfully serve and die for his or her country, and can vote should not be restricted from lawfully purchasing a firearm. I've witnessed plenty of 21+ year olds that don't have enough common sense to walk out their front doors on a daily basis let alone anything else. There's no way the Fed will ever be able to prove cause for "maturity" between 18 and 21, it's just not there across the board.

cshoff

That said, even though it's not illegal to make a private sale of the nature we've been discussing you all had better realize very quickly that it only takes them penciling in a rule change to make it illegal. They'll call it a clarification of sorts. So it's really not worth the risk if that person cannot buy on a Form 4473 you should not sell to that person.

Where do you come up with this stuff? It is ALREADY IN THE LAW. They would have to actually AMEND/REPEAL THE EXISTING LAW to do what you are saying here.

There is, quite frankly, absolutely no basis for your claim that it is a "risk" to sell to someone who cannot purchase from an FFL due to age. It's preposterous.

Freedom 1st

Amen!

Never, never, never, never....NEVER take anything the BATFE provides you verbally as fact. Far too often they don't know the law themselves and if you quote the USC and State laws verbatim you'll just tick them off. They DO NOT approve of an armed citizenry as it prevents them from running completely amuck.

The law needs to change to where an 18 year old that can be called into military service, can willfully serve and die for his or her country, and can vote should not be restricted from lawfully purchasing a firearm. I've witnessed plenty of 21+ year olds that don't have enough common sense to walk out their front doors on a daily basis let alone anything else. There's no way the Fed will ever be able to prove cause for "maturity" between 18 and 21, it's just not there across the board.

I would think that if the current administration presently in the white house could have "Penciled in a rule change" to make private sales such as spoken of, illegal. They would have worn out th lead on the pencil a year ago. Then turned over the pencil and completely erased the second amendment and called it a clarification of sorts.

I will agree with the later part of your statement though, as long as your not going to say it is illegal for 18 yr olds to purchase a handgun from a private sale, again.

I too know of a boat load of people that don't have enough common sense to pour p!ss out of a boot, and 18 yr olds SHOULD be able to legally purchase handguns from a FFL dealer. They are considered adults in the eyes of the law, and should be treated as such.