• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Call to action!! Open Carry bills to be heard tomorrow!!

FireHawk911

Hey y'all, sorry I've been absent, okiebryan and I were talking and we need support tomorrow at the Capitol, I have to work, and we know this is short notice, but please spread the word and try to make it. He is on his way right now from Lubbock, TX and is not sure if he will make it. Here is the notice from the Oklahoma Second Amendment Association President Tim Gilespie,

Feb 22, 2012 01:00 am | Tim Gillespie

UPDATE: Open Carry to be Heard in Senate Committee

We met with Senator Barrington, Chairman of the Senate Public Safety Committee on Tuesday.* Senator Barrington said he was planning to allow three important bills to be heard on Thursday, February 23rd at 9:30 am.* They are:

SB1733 - Sen. Sykes open carry bill (by license).
SB1760 - Sen. Sykes bill to specifically prohibit state or local government from confiscating weapons during times of a declared emergency.
SB1785 - Sen. Russell's bill allowing for reciprocity for non-permitting states.

Please call the Senate Public Safety Committee members tonight (you can leave a message on their voice mail) or early tomorrow to urge them to support these measures.

Don Barrington
405-521-5563
barrington@oksenate.gov
Ralph Shortey
405-521-5557
shortey@oksenate.gov
Roger Ballenger
405-521-5588 ballenger@oksenate.gov
Kim David
405-521-5590
david@oksenate.gov
Earl Garrison
405-521-5533 garrisone@oksenate.gov
Constance Johnson****
405-521-5531 * **
johnsonc@oksenate.gov
Ron Justice
405-521-5537 justice@oksenate.gov
Steve Russell
405-521-5618 russell@oksenate.gov
Anthony Sykes
405-521-5569 lewis@oksenate.gov

Guys we are close, the more support the better chance we have!!

hrdware

Reported as Do Pass...

SB1760 and SB1785 were reported Do Pass by the Senate Public Safety Committee.

SB1733 was reported as Do Pass with Committee Amendments. I have not seen what the committee amendments are yet.

hrdware

Haha that helps. What do you do? Doesn't your boss mind lol.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.056825,-95.959222

I'm a programmer for a payroll software company. My boss is really laid back and as long as we get our work done and are servicing our customers, he doesn't mind what we do.

Today I will be writing a letter to all the members of the House Public Safety Committee asking them to vote for the bills they will hear on Wednesday. Tomorrow I will be at the state capitol (for a different reason) and will deliver those letters to their offices myself.

hrdware

HB 2522 Floor Amendment

There has been a floor amendment filed for HB2522 by Rep McCullough. This amendment would require an open carried firearm to be carried in a belt holster "with a retention mechanism that is integral to the holster", and it also removes the language that would allow you to carry in a "scabbard or case" on your person.

What this means: You would not be able to open carry with a holster that uses friction as it's only means of retention. So for me, that means I would have to use a generic nylon holster with a thumb break that is not designed specifically for my firearm. My Galco that is designed specifically for my firearm is a friction holster that will hold better than an ugly thumb break nylon job.

I would encourage you to contact your representatives and ask them to vote "No" on the McCullough amendment to HB2522.

hrdware

HB2522 Floor Amendment 2 by Bennett

Rep Bennett just filed a floor amendment that would allow "Any person who is on active military duty, National Guard duty or regular military reserve duty or is honorably discharged from active military duty, National Guard duty or military reserve duty shall not be required to pay the processing fee when making application for a handgun license”

hrdware

HB2522 Floor Amendment 3 by Reynolds

Rep Reynolds just filed a floor amendment that would allow a person to carry a loaded firearm, without a permit, "When the person has a reasonable fear of bodily harm"

I don't know what "reasonable fear" is or who determines what that is. I don't like vague legislation.

hrdware

HB2522 Floor Amendment 4 by Rep Steve Martin

Rep Steve Martin has a floor amendment that would remove CC notification on first contact with an officer and make it, "Said identification to the law enforcement officer shall be made at the first opportunity." So it is still the individuals responsibility to notify, but if the officer has told them to be quiet, they don't have to worry about trying to tell them in violation of a lawful order.

hrdware

HB2522 More floor Amendments

Floor Amendment 5 by Murphey - would allow a shoulder holster as well as a belt holster.

Floor Amendment 6 by Cockroft - would have your initial license sent to the address on the application instead of the county sheriff for you to pick up.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Report from the Capitol

Today, I talked to McCullough. His amendment comes from cops he knows. He told me that he is all for OC, but his preference would be retention holster. I told him that I'm sure that most of us prefer to use some form of retention, but that I don't want the government making a preference into a law. Another Rep (who I don't know) came in about then and told him "Withdraw that silly nonsense!" and then placed two fingers in my leather 3-slot OWB holster and said, "There's not a damn thing wrong with this man's holster"

Rep McCullough told me he's catching a lot of flak from other reps. We discussed OC a little more, and I asked him to understand that we don't want cops telling us we are in violation for a dang holster requirement. I made a good case, but some more phone calls to his Legislative Assistant couldn't hurt. Please call (405) 557-7414 and leave a message. First and foremost, THANK HIM for his support for the right to OC in Oklahoma, then tell him you don't approve of his amendment about holsters. BE POLITE, and we might convince him to withdraw this amendment.

Then I talked to Rep Lee Denney. (R - Cushing) I like her. She supports 2522, and after I told her about the McCullough amendment, assured me that that bill will get a lot of discussion, and that she will not support that amendment.

I also spoke to Harold Wright (R- Weatherford). I worked for him in college. Anyway, he is in support, and doesn't see the need for holster laws.

I asked all of them to amend the bill so that police couldn't "Terry stop" open carriers just to check for an SDA license, absent other reasonable suspicion. They think that the courts will take care of that if it gets to be a problem. Also, Rep Martin (who I also spoke to today) told me that such an amendment would kill the whole bill. He said try for that next year, lets just get this passed now. We also discussed the bill that would eliminate fees for a certain segment. He says that will create a fiscal impact where none currently exists, and will screw up the bill. Fiscal impacts are a REALLY BIG DEAL right now.

The Reynolds amendment is quite clear to me. Reynolds is opposed to OC. Reynolds is apoplectic about OC without a permit. So, he's trying to make it so that one can only OC on their own property if they meet some vague definition. It reminds me of the Maryland CC permit requirement to show cause why you need to carry a firearm. This will totally screw up OC so that nobody will be willing to do it, out of fear that their "reasonable fear" isn't good enough to justify OC under the law.

My opinion is, we need to FIGHT the McCullough amendment, support the Martin amendment, oppose the Bennett amendment, definitely fight the Reynolds amendment, and phone everyone to ask for passage of 2522.