Thread: Looking for information

Looking for information

This is my first post on this forum.

I am wondering if anyone can point me to some information to assist me with getting the company I work for to remove the "No Firearms" porting of the employee handbook. I can point to multiple sources that those kind of rules take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens, but was looking for something more prepared.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by vaguns View Post
    This is my first post on this forum.

I am wondering if anyone can point me to some information to assist me with getting the company I work for to remove the "No Firearms" porting of the employee handbook. I can point to multiple sources that those kind of rules take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens, but was looking for something more prepared.
    Welcome to OCDO.

I don't know of any prepared materials. In fact, I can't recall an instance where an individual was successful at convincing a company to give up a policy, unless that policy was contrary to laws. Most companies write as many policies as they can to limit their liability from litigation.

There is a book available - I'm not sure where my copy is, so I can't quote exactly - called something like A Handbook for Firearms in the Workplace - that may be of help to you, but its real focus is on companies that have already decided, and helps them to write defensible policies.

since you didn't specify which industry you're working in, it is difficult to ascertain, from an industry perspective, how hard you are going to have to push to overcome the corp EH&S and HR infulence on their policy(ies). for the most part no gun/weapon policy(ies) stem from OSHA's prevention of Violence in the work place guidance and a company's risk mitigation/liability perception.

As such, the 'firearm' is a recognized evil instrument and therefore banning it goes a long way in preventing work place violence. yet the knife clipped to the pocket of every employee isn't.

if you check closely you will also find written in your company's policy(ies) some statement banning firearms from the company's parking lot as well.

wabbit
    Last edited by ncwabbit; 02-23-2012 at 04:00 PM.

I can almost hear management's response to your request... "Well Va, if you're unhappy with our policies here..." Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 02-24-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

especially in 'at will states' and current economic environment where there are so many ppl seeking work...

wabbit

I am in the Financial industry in Virginia. I will search and see if I can find that name of the book you mentioned. It seems to me that a policy like this would open them to liability by removing the ability to defend yourself. I do have a concealed carry permit. The Commonwealth allows me, maybe that would remove some liability if they modified their policy to allow that? I agree Open Carry would not fly.