Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Transfer Question

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    108

    Transfer Question

    Does anyone know the process in Connecticut if a manufacturer decides to replace your handgun with another under warranty instead of repairing it?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    58
    Not exactly sure what your asking but I think I know what your asking.

    I had a P.O.S. keltec sub compact 2000 when they first came out and I had sent it back under warranty. I went to the shop I bought it from, they shipped it out, and they got it back for me. After the 3rd time sending it out, they sent me a new one. I did the firearms transfer paperwork again and registered the gun to me at the gun store.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Can't imagine why it wouldn't be precisely the same as buying a new one, FFL included.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by CTSurvivor View Post
    Not exactly sure what your asking but I think I know what your asking.

    I had a P.O.S. keltec sub compact 2000 when they first came out and I had sent it back under warranty. I went to the shop I bought it from, they shipped it out, and they got it back for me. After the 3rd time sending it out, they sent me a new one. I did the firearms transfer paperwork again and registered the gun to me at the gun store.
    Same issue but no gun shop involved (Bud's Online to an FFL who is no longer in business). Did you file any paperwork to get the first gun off of your record?

  5. #5
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinnedknuckles View Post
    Same issue but no gun shop involved (Bud's Online to an FFL who is no longer in business). Did you file any paperwork to get the first gun off of your record?
    I think you would have to go through an FFL with this. We have FFLs on this forum, hang tight and they will be able to answer more clearly.

    From what I have seen and discussed on this topic, if they are sending you a new pistol with a new serial number, you need an FFL. If they are sending the same gun with the same serial number back you do not.
    Last edited by Rich B; 02-24-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  6. #6
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinnedknuckles View Post
    Same issue but no gun shop involved (Bud's Online to an FFL who is no longer in business). Did you file any paperwork to get the first gun off of your record?
    A long gun is different than a handgun. Long guns are not supposed to need registration so they are treated differently in Connecticut.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    A long gun is different than a handgun. Long guns are not supposed to need registration so they are treated differently in Connecticut.
    Every long gun I bought from a ffl dealer made me fill out the ATF form and 3 part transfer form. Is that the same as registering?

  8. #8
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by CTSurvivor View Post
    Every long gun I bought from a ffl dealer made me fill out the ATF form and 3 part transfer form. Is that the same as registering?
    The NCIC check is required by Federal law to not be retained. The 4473 stays at the dealer in their bound book.

    CT does track gun sales through FFLs, but there is no requirement to register or use an FFL for a private sale of a long arm.
    Last edited by Rich B; 02-24-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  9. #9
    Regular Member brk913's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Plainville, CT
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    The ATF form is required by Federal law to be deleted.

    CT does track gun sales through FFLs, but there is no requirement to register or use an FFL for a private sale of a long arm.
    When I worked at Cubeta's we made it optional on long guns and shotguns, we would run the necessary background check for approval but it was then up to the customer if they wanted us to send the "registration" in to the state. I believe most real gun stores will still do that if you ask. The box stores, however, Cabela's, Dick's, KMart. Sport's Authority, etc. have to send them in.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    The ATF form is required by Federal law to be deleted.

    CT does track gun sales through FFLs, but there is no requirement to register or use an FFL for a private sale of a long arm.
    Deleted??

  11. #11
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by CTSurvivor View Post
    Deleted??
    Some correction since I wasn't clear when I said 'ATF' form.

    The ATF form stays with the dealer (in most cases) in their bound book and the Feds are not allowed to keep the NCIC check records past a certain time span.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Some correction since I wasn't clear when I said 'ATF' form.

    The ATF form stays with the dealer (in most cases) in their bound book and the Feds are not allowed to keep the NCIC check records past a certain time span.
    Ah ok I understand. Thanks for the clarifacation.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    108
    Despite the hijacked thread, I got the answer directly from my FFL and also the manufacturer. It is a new transfer, so it has to come through an FFL. Process I'm working on now is to make sure my name is off the ownership of the old handgun, which I believe my FFL will be able to do for me assuming the paperwork from the manufacturer clearly shows the swap.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •