• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transfer Question

Skinnedknuckles

Does anyone know the process in Connecticut if a manufacturer decides to replace your handgun with another under warranty instead of repairing it?

Thanks.

CTSurvivor

Not exactly sure what your asking but I think I know what your asking.

I had a P.O.S. keltec sub compact 2000 when they first came out and I had sent it back under warranty. I went to the shop I bought it from, they shipped it out, and they got it back for me. After the 3rd time sending it out, they sent me a new one. I did the firearms transfer paperwork again and registered the gun to me at the gun store.

Skinnedknuckles

Not exactly sure what your asking but I think I know what your asking.

I had a P.O.S. keltec sub compact 2000 when they first came out and I had sent it back under warranty. I went to the shop I bought it from, they shipped it out, and they got it back for me. After the 3rd time sending it out, they sent me a new one. I did the firearms transfer paperwork again and registered the gun to me at the gun store.

Same issue but no gun shop involved (Bud's Online to an FFL who is no longer in business). Did you file any paperwork to get the first gun off of your record?

Rich B

Same issue but no gun shop involved (Bud's Online to an FFL who is no longer in business). Did you file any paperwork to get the first gun off of your record?

I think you would have to go through an FFL with this. We have FFLs on this forum, hang tight and they will be able to answer more clearly.

From what I have seen and discussed on this topic, if they are sending you a new pistol with a new serial number, you need an FFL. If they are sending the same gun with the same serial number back you do not.

Last edited:

CTSurvivor

A long gun is different than a handgun. Long guns are not supposed to need registration so they are treated differently in Connecticut.

Every long gun I bought from a ffl dealer made me fill out the ATF form and 3 part transfer form. Is that the same as registering?

Rich B

Every long gun I bought from a ffl dealer made me fill out the ATF form and 3 part transfer form. Is that the same as registering?

The NCIC check is required by Federal law to not be retained. The 4473 stays at the dealer in their bound book.

CT does track gun sales through FFLs, but there is no requirement to register or use an FFL for a private sale of a long arm.

Last edited:

brk913

The ATF form is required by Federal law to be deleted.

CT does track gun sales through FFLs, but there is no requirement to register or use an FFL for a private sale of a long arm.

When I worked at Cubeta's we made it optional on long guns and shotguns, we would run the necessary background check for approval but it was then up to the customer if they wanted us to send the "registration" in to the state. I believe most real gun stores will still do that if you ask. The box stores, however, Cabela's, Dick's, KMart. Sport's Authority, etc. have to send them in.

CTSurvivor

Some correction since I wasn't clear when I said 'ATF' form.

The ATF form stays with the dealer (in most cases) in their bound book and the Feds are not allowed to keep the NCIC check records past a certain time span.

Ah ok I understand. Thanks for the clarifacation.

Skinnedknuckles

Despite the hijacked thread, I got the answer directly from my FFL and also the manufacturer. It is a new transfer, so it has to come through an FFL. Process I'm working on now is to make sure my name is off the ownership of the old handgun, which I believe my FFL will be able to do for me assuming the paperwork from the manufacturer clearly shows the swap.