• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun transfer from MD resident to VA

Dcarey

Hello all,

I am looking at buying a gun from a friend who lives in MD. Its a Springfield XD40. She lives in MD and I live in VA anyone know what are the laws regarding transfer of the firearm to me in VA?

thanks

mk4

you pay her.
she arranges for a md ffl to effect the transfer.
you arrange for a va ffl to accept the transfer.
md and va ffls trade info.
md ffl ships to va ffl.
you pay va ffl a transfer fee.
va ffl runs bg check on you.
va ffl transfers to you.

if i got anything wrong, someone will be along soon to correct.
hth.

Dcarey

She must be VERY WELL connected.

Or ex-LEO/alphabet agent.

She Knew the PG county Sheriff but she was robbed at gun point at her place of business and that was the justification for the CCW. She went to Front sight in NV for the 4-day Defensive training. now she owns a HK 40, SIG, Glock and the Springfield

Last edited:

wylde007

She Knew the PG county Sheriff but she was robbed at gun point at her place of business and that was the justification for the CCW.
A "special need" converts a right into a privilege.

But methinks you already knew that. We're just having fun at MD's expense.

Marco

you pay her.
she arranges for a md ffl to effect the transfer.
you arrange for a va ffl to accept the transfer.
md and va ffls trade info.
md ffl ships to va ffl.
you pay va ffl a transfer fee.
va ffl runs bg check on you.
va ffl transfers to you.

if i got anything wrong, someone will be along soon to correct.
hth.

Almost, Too many steps...in the above
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-carrier
Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

The advantage of using a local FFL holder vs shipping it yourself is shipping cost.
FFL holders can use the USPS.
Non FFL holder's have to use a contract carrier and they usually require handguns to be shipped next day and the item has to be declared.

mk4

Almost, Too many steps...in the above
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-carrier
Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

The advantage of using a local FFL holder vs shipping it yourself is shipping cost.
FFL holders can use the USPS.
Non FFL holder's have to use a contract carrier and they usually require handguns to be shipped next day and the item has to be declared.

thanks, much, M.
i learned something! that makes it a good day!

user

Accomplished Advocate
It is not necessary to use an FFL on the Maryland side. Assuming she can lawfully transport the gun through Maryland (I'm pretty sure she can under these circumstances, but I'm not an attorney in Maryland), she can box up the unloaded gun, drive it to the Virginia FFL of your choice, deliver it to that person who will log it in, and then transfer it to you w/background check.

Dreamer

She Knew the PG county Sheriff but she was robbed at gun point at her place of business and that was the justification for the CCW. She went to Front sight in NV for the 4-day Defensive training. now she owns a HK 40, SIG, Glock and the Springfield

No, I hate to break the news to you, but the robber was NOT the reason she got the permit.

There is no requirement to have a permit in MD to carry a gun in your own place of business if you are the owner. And transporting a gun (unloaded and locked up) from your home to your place of business is 100% legal in MD without a permit. So unless she was robbed in transit, she would not have a "good and substantial reason" because defending yourself in your home or your own place of business with a handgun DOES NOT require a permit in MD.

She can tell you any tall tale she wants, an you can justify it any way you want, but there are only TWO reasons that "ordinary people" in Md get permits--they are well-connected, or they have been the victim of a crime so egregious that denying them a permit would turn into a media nightmare for the MSP (this one only works for women and minorities who have been the victim of "hate crimes").

She is either VERY well connected, or she threatened to play the "female crime victim takes the story to the media" card with them.

MSI has proved beyond a shadow of a doubt at the HB-45 hearings that MSP doesn't just regularly engage in political favoritism in their issuance of permits--such arbitrary and capricious policy is their SOP. This is not up for debate. End of story. Period.

Last edited: