• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN- Have to show CCW permit when OC to cops, but do they have right to run your name?

Dreamer

I'm starting to feel like a stuck record, but until folks figure this out, I'll keep repeating this message...

It doesn't matter what the law says.
It doesn't matter what the police are "allowed" to do. If an LEO has a burr in his saddle for you because you are OCing and he doesn't like that, he CAN and WILL do anything in his power to mess with you.

Understand this.
Memorize it.
Deal with it...

Yes, he CAN run your name.

Yes, he CAN seize your firearm and run the serial number.

Yes, he CAN detain--or even ARREST you for not breaking the law--because he will make something up if he's REALLY got it in for you.

Yes, he CAN handcuff you.

Yes, he CAN turn off (and even erase) his dash cam.

Yes, he CAN drive you to a remote location, beat the snot out of you while you're cuffed, and then charge you with "resisting arrest" and "assaulting an officer" when you bleed on his uniform.

Yes, he CAN just shoot you in the head, and write on his report you made a "furtive movement" toward a weapon.

And if you survive the encounter with enough of your faculties intact to fill out a few forms, you can file a Federal Civil Rights Violation suit against him, and let the courts sort it out.

That's what bad cops count on--that the idea that a protracted, emotionally draining, reputation-injuring lawsuit brought by you AGAINST A COP will be enough to make you just take it, and then go away and keep quite after he's had his fun.

It's not a question of "CAN" they do any of these things--LEOs are HUMAN BEINGS, and therefore they are capable of any number of egregious infringements, abuses, and assaults on other human beings (sadly, this is just one of the negative parts of being human--some humans are sociopaths). People need to understand this, and we ALL need to adopt this awareness as a FUNDAMENTAL FACT.

The question is whether or not the LEO in question is a pubic servant who honors his oath and respects your rights, or is he not.

IF the answer to THAT question the only thing you can do is pray for the least amount of hassle, pain and abuse that he can dish out before he's satisfied.

And then, sue the living #^@% out of him...

Fallguy

I don't think anyone ever doubted what a LEO could do if he chooses....I took the question to mean what could he "legally' do.

For some reason I'm reminded of when I was in elementary school and asking the teacher "Can I go to the bathroom?" and their response "I don't know? 'Can' you?" looking for me to say May instead of Can knowing good and well what I meant.

RobertB

I know in Ga and TN you can carry open with a CCW permit and the cops have the right to see your license...but do they also have to right to keep you further for them to run a check on your name also if you are only OC ing legally?

Just curious...

David

Where does it say that you have to show a LEO your GWL in Georgia?