• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bank Open Carry Fact or Fiction?

FallonJeeper

I was told by a member, on another web site, that open carry in a bank was "pushing the limits", that some young cop would panic and shoot me.

This comes from a former LEO. He also started telling me the "advantages of CCW"

I'm thinking it's all fairytale, but I also told him I would ask on here if anybody has an example or a story of somebody being drawn down on by law enforcement or being shot for open carry in a bank.

Jim

The Big Guy

Crappola...If you will search the threads you will see many stories of bank carry. I carry in Wells Fargo all the time, no problem. The same can be said by others at different banks. Another example of LEO pushing their own agenda.

TBG

usmcmustang

I was told by a member, on another web site, that open carry in a bank was "pushing the limits", that some young cop would panic and shoot me.

This comes from a former LEO. He also started telling me the "advantages of CCW"

I'm thinking it's all fairytale, but I also told him I would ask on here if anybody has an example or a story of somebody being drawn down on by law enforcement or being shot for open carry in a bank.

Jim

Well, there's nothing in our statute that prohibits O/C in banks. However, as with all "private property," the proprietor may certainly request that you leave or leave your weapon elsewhere.

Now, whether or not a security guard or LEO in a bank may "act" one way or another is a question no one can answer. It is certainly not out of the realm of imagination that one would "draw down" on you or even possibly shoot you...

Last edited:

FallonJeeper

Well, there's nothing in our statute that prohibits O/C in banks. However, as with all "private property," the proprietor may certainly request that you leave or leave your weapon elsewhere.

Now, whether or not a security guard or LEO in a bank may "act" one way or another is a question no one can answer. It is certainly not out of the realm of imagination that one would "draw down" on you or even possibly shoot you...

Oh, I know the laws and the private property thing, I'm just looking for some factual basis for his statement. There are a lot of things that COULD happen. But with the absence of any actual examples, I'm less inclined to believe him.

FallonJeeper

Crappola...If you will search the threads you will see many stories of bank carry. I carry in Wells Fargo all the time, no problem. The same can be said by others at different banks. Another example of LEO pushing their own agenda.

TBG

Thanks TBG,
I've read a lot of stories where people had no issues and a couple where they were asked to leave, and the reason they were asked to leave:
1. "Against Bank Policy" which, after research it was found NOT to be the case.
2. "Banks are Federal Property bacause they are FDIC insured" We know this to be false also.

But no stories of being held at gun point or shot.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Here's what I find humorous about bank carry.

For some reason, some people freak out when a well-dressed businessman is open-carrying a sidearm in a bank...

Yet they totally ignore the $7/hour security guard trying to stay awake in the corner.

There's just something magical about a uniform, I guess.

That said, I open carry in banks, and have never been hassled. Stared at a couple of times, but never hassled. My business banks at Chase and the branch manager has personally handled my deposits on occasion.

28kfps

In the past few years no cop or security has shot me in the many dozens of banks I have OCed in. I can assure if I had been shot, it would have really pissed me off, and I most certainty would have posted it.

yotetrapper

I carry BofA all the time... no issues .. never even heard of an issue that couldn't be resolved, and I deffinatley don't considere being shot ''resolvable" .

Lostlittlerobot

Seen this question a few times. My 2 cents. I've been a wells fargo customer for 18+ years. I had one manager one day tell me no guns allowed. When I asked if it was new, she said its always been that way. So I asked her to check with her corp. boss. She was being really bitchy and when she came back from checking she said 'well they're still working on a policy'. I said guns have been around a few hundred years...how long does it take them?

She tried to difuse things, and started to chat with me, saying that they(wells fargo) prefer guns not being in the bank. Then the funniest thing she said, 'you can understand with all the robberies lately, we don't want guns in the bank'. I was like...robberies...lately? you just answered why I carry for me, I don't even NEED to defend my side of the argument now. She was just talking out her ass, she kept implying it was the company, but I've never had any other trouble at other branches or on other visits.

A ways back someone posted about how their credit union/bank had an entry vestibule that would lock down when the metal detectors went off or something like that. I can't remember where/when. Anyone else remember that? We joked about a grouped of us going there throughout the day and basically shutting down their ability to do business by locking down the entry every few hours with each of our visits. A peaceful sort of protest.

bc.cruiser

A ways back someone posted about how their credit union/bank had an entry vestibule that would lock down when the metal detectors went off or something like that. I can't remember where/when. Anyone else remember that? We joked about a grouped of us going there throughout the day and basically shutting down their ability to do business by locking down the entry every few hours with each of our visits. A peaceful sort of protest.

Boy, I would love to participate in something like that!:lol:

I carry in my bank every time (WellsFargo) with absolutely no problems. A couple CU's have now posted against CC where they previously weren't posted at all.

It's always laughable when you ask them to explain the 'no gun' policy in regards to "..for the safety of staff and patrons...".