• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please explain

elebuttfish

I am a former NM resident (30+ years). I moved in 2001 to the Pacific North West. I will be returning soon to live in NM again. Back in the "old days" I would have a hand gun with me at times and never worried too much about "open" carry vs "hide" n carry. When I return I will open carry if I was to hunt but when I hike I may put on a jacket. Now I read the word "reasonable" concerning visability of the firearm. Will some one explain the fine line or gray area that I will be in when I do this. Also, I saw a video or 2 about the classes. I am not after "SWAT" training, does someone offer a class that is not so tactical if I decide to get the CCW permit? And why is a 4 year permit only good for 2 years? thanks

AH.74

All the laws are linked to on the NM DPS site at http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/nm-concealed-carry/ ,specifically under Concealed Handgun Carry Act of 2005 look for the links to the statutes and rules.

Basically- on your own property or in your own vehicle you can carry concealed with no license. If you are on private property, such as a friend's place and have permission, you can do the same.

Out in public anywhere at all you must have a license to carry concealed. "Reasonable" has to do with open carry only as far as I have known- I seem to recall a definition somewhere about being reasonably seen from 3 sides of the person, but am not sure about that as it has been a while.

As far as the training- I don't know what you've seen but maybe people could give you recommendations about trainers in the area you will be going to. I know my instructor followed the state-mandated outline and it wasn't "tactical" at all and geared to beginners really.

Regarding the 4/2 year thing- as detailed in the links above, the 2-year point is a "refresher"; the intent is to make sure you stay "up to speed" on the laws and to make sure your skill levels are being maintained. It's 2 hours instruction plus shooting at the 2 year mid-point, and 4 hours plus shooting at the 4 year renewal point. Honestly I don't know of any other state having such requirements.

Let us know where you'll be coming back to- there are at least a couple people here who do instruction.

elebuttfish

I am a valley rat with an inner cowboy so I will settle in the Los Lunas to Belen area. I am glad to see that Los Lunas has a shooting range. I belong to the Custer Sportsmans Club here in Washington. Since we get more rain than sunshine all the fireing lines are covered and have a concrete walkway. It also has a full time range master. I hope I don't have to go up to ALB. for a class, finding someone in Valencia Cnty. would be better. thanks

MrGlock

shooting areas

I go shooting on the west mesa by rio puerco, been going there for over 10 years now. Its about 25mi each way from where I live, but its nice and open with some junk to shoot at there.