• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to NV OC

BRivera

Hello, I am relatively to new OC. Ive grown up around guns and have been shooting for years. But i just wanna make sure i can get a clear answer. After reading alot on here ive got the just of things, but just to make sure. I am 18 years old, and i want to OC my handgun, i live in Carson City. I can carry it loaded, correct? What about in my truck? Any answers are appreciated, Thanks guys!

-Bryce

FallonJeeper

First, welcome.

Second, carry away, in Carson, or Sparks, Reno...

Thirdly, if you can carry, it can be loaded. Exception to that is, in your vehicle, a rifle or shotgun can not have a round in the chamber.

Lastly, you can open carry in your vehicle. The weapon can be in a box, glove compartment, on the seat, on the dash, under the seat, between the seats, basically anywhere in the vehicle, in plain sight or not in plain sight, including in the holster, on your belt, as long as it is NOT concealed on your person.

BRivera

Awesome, thanks. Just wanted to make sure i stayed within the guidelines. How likely am I to have trouble with LEO or anyone for that matter?

wrightme

Look in the stickies for the pamphlet, which defines much of what you will want to know.

Welcome!

18+ can OC in Nevada. 21+ can get a permit and CC in Nevada.

28kfps

Welcome to open carry dot org. Open carry away. Just make sure you stay up on the laws, which are fairly easy here in NV. It would appear the younger you are the more likely of a law enforcement encounter. Check out Field Maximus pamphlet it is very handy. It is a sticky top of the NV postings. In addition, if I am correct Field Maximus started out OCing I believe at the age of 18 or 19 and had a few law enforcement encounters and I guess it is not fun. I have had a few posting conversations with Field Maximus saying he feels law enforcement encounters is likely based on his experience and I said a law enforcement encounter has never happened to me and so I feel it is very unlikely.
After being enlightened by field Maximus it would appear you being a just barley legal OCer and living in the wide end of the state be prepared for the likely hood of an law enforcement encounter. Open carry with a good retention holster be confident, good appearance also seems to help. If you can, memorize the few NRSs that makes you legal and the NRS on being detained or at least have a copy. Many good pointers can be gained by researching encounters on OC.org.
Now the disclaimer. This is only an opinion.

Last edited:

BRivera

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the good info. Pamphlet is great by the way, printed out a few copies to keep with me. And I'm always open to more tips or info, thanks again!

-Bryce