• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police officer looking for respectful dialoge

wrightme

The "because I can" answers almost any question and gives no real reason or thought provoking answer to a question honestly posed.

Let me give and example:

Why do you arrest people for DUI? Because I can.

Why do you use iodine before drawing blood? Because I can.

Sadly I am, believe it or not, a strong supporter of many of your positions and am attempting to understand and learn. Because I can teaches me nothing and I am left to assume you don't know why you do, or don't care to share. None of you business is a better answer then because I can.

"Because I can" is an adequate response to a question rooted in a Right.

For clarity, "A Right unexercised is a Right lost."

Last edited:

stargateranch

Part of me appreciates your viewpoint, the rest of me is concerned that you engage in behavior you believe/know to be unconstitutional (which DUI checkpoints undoubtedly are, opinions of "The Statist Nine" not withstanding).

The court has ruled otherwise, personal opinion aside I am bound by that. This is not the place and I am not the person to impune the supreme court. Tough spot don't ya think?

stargateranch

"Because I can" is an adequate response to a question rooted in a Right.

For clarity, "A Right unexercised is a Right lost."

I didn't say it was a wrong response just one response that gives no insight or motivation. How does that response help me? What's that? You don't want to help me, fine. Then I have to wonder why you post if you are only posting to say "because I can". Please listen,

I know you can, I understand it is your right, I will not infringe on that. I won't take your gun, I won't stop you without cause, I don't beat people, I don't plant drugs, I do write traffic tickets and arrest people. I make mistakes and more than I care to admit, I want to make less mistakes and part of that is learning.

You can probably tell it is a tad frustrating for me. I don't communicate well online.

Motofixxer

I know you can, I understand it is your right, I will not infringe on that. I won't take your gun, I won't stop you without cause, I don't beat people, I don't plant drugs, I do write traffic tickets and arrest people. I make mistakes and more than I care to admit, I want to make less mistakes and part of that is learning.

With regard to Rights, liberty, and traffic, Would you like to learn the truth about traffic tickets??? If so I have a lot of info I can send you. You will be left scratching your head saying "hey wait a minute thats not what they taught me".

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Perhaps the best articulation of the unspoken motivation behind the "Because I can" reasoning is the motto of this very site:

"A right unexercised is a right lost."

Sometimes, the mere understanding than one can do something, and that the ability to do that something is important in an unpredictable future even if it it may not seem so important right now this second, is all the reason a person needs to accustom himself to doing that something.

Fallschirjmäger

With that, we now have thirteen states that still recognize the needs of the People outweigh the needs of the State.
Idaho,
Iowa,
Michigan,
Minnesota,
Oregon,
Rhode Island,
Utah,
Texas,
Washington,
Wisconsin, and
Wyoming

In addition, Alaska and Montana do not use checkpoints even though they have not made them illegal.
Thirteen.... wasn't there some nation that started with an original thirteen?

stargateranch

Perhaps the best articulation of the unspoken motivation behind the "Because I can" reasoning is the motto of this very site:

"A right unexercised is a right lost."

Sometimes, the mere understanding than one can do something, and that the ability to do that something is important in an unpredictable future even if it it may not seem so important right now this second, is all the reason a person needs to accustom himself to doing that something.

PERFECT, when you explain it that way, I understand. Having the right is not enough you must exercise it, that I get. And that is a great reason, to create awareness is powerful. Thank you

I never claimed to be bright, be patient with me.

wrightme

I didn't say it was a wrong response just one response that gives no insight or motivation. How does that response help me? What's that? You don't want to help me, fine. Then I have to wonder why you post if you are only posting to say "because I can". Please listen,

You can probably tell it is a tad frustrating for me. I don't communicate well online.

That misses the point. If you are seeking a response that 'helps you,' I defined what the response meant. If that does not help you, then you are not yet looking for responses that do not fit your world view.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
PERFECT, when you explain it that way, I understand. Having the right is not enough you must exercise it, that I get. And that is a great reason, to create awareness is powerful. Thank you

Hmmmm. Somehow he missed the earlier posts of mine #25 and #17. Either of which, or combined, more than adequately explains even beyond unexercised = lost. And, the post just above where I referred back to those two posts. One does have to wonder how serious he really is, or is he just on some sort of public relations snow job?

Last edited:

wrightme

That IS what 'because I can' means, and you actually quoted my "A right unexercised..." in your response to me.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Hmmmm. Somehow he missed the earlier posts of mine #25 and #17. Either of which, or combined, more than adequately explains even beyond unexercised = lost. And, the post just above where I referred back to those two posts. One does have to wonder how serious he really is, or is he just on some sort of public relations snow job?

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt so long as he doesn't pull a PALO. ;)

I did make that post because, having read the previous discussion, I thought the explanation could use a little clarification. It can be stated very succinctly, I think. But perhaps wrightme was a little too succinct -- his point needed elaboration. Perhaps I am merely giving myself too much credit, however.

Last edited:

stargateranch

Citizen, I went back and read both of your posts and I will be 100% honest here. Both posts I felt like you were twisting my words around. I did not read them in ernest and gave less thought to them than I should have. I probably kinda shut down a little.

In hindsight you did say the same thing just not in a way I was ready to accept at that point, I kinda felt like I was on the defensive there. I should not have gotten defensive. I will read closer next time. My mistake.

As far as the PR snow job, I don't know if there is anything I can do to show you otherwise.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The "because I can" answers almost any question and gives no real reason or thought provoking answer to a question honestly posed.

Let me give and example:

Why do you arrest people for DUI? Because I can.

Why do you use iodine before drawing blood? Because I can.

Sadly I am, believe it or not, a strong supporter of many of your positions and am attempting to understand and learn. Because I can teaches me nothing and I am left to assume you don't know why you do, or don't care to share. None of you business is a better answer then because I can.

Actually, your examples are very different than the point being made. Indeed, you should answer: "Because I should," even if you left out why.
"Because I can" would certainly be an acceptable response to the following:

"Why are you mowing your lawn at 0900 on a Wednesday?"
"Why did you swap a V8 into your VW bug?"
"Why did you leave the bar last night with that 9 and her friend?"

It is especially an appropriate answer to a question that is asked by someone initiating a conversation with a law-abiding stranger. "Because I can" implies a desire to do something meeting with an opportunity, and omitting the details. It is more polite than telling you to go pound sand or ignoring you completely, while essentially accomplishing the same objective.

I'm the kind who chooses politeness, and enjoys mutual conversation. But I would be leery and not forthcoming with conversation when approached in a seemingly official capacity.

Last edited:

stargateranch

Again not saying its a wrong answer, it just does not help me figure out how to swap the engine in my bug or help me understand the benefits of mowing your lawn in the early hours. Hope that make sense.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Again not saying its a wrong answer, it just does not help me figure out how to swap the engine in my bug or help me understand the benefits of mowing your lawn in the early hours. Hope that make sense.

Yes, it makes sense. However, when you are wearing your state uniform, and approaching me on official business, you have no business asking me about the engine in my car, or my personal lawn grooming habits.

If you were off duty, and we ran into each other at a drag strip, I'd chat about my car until you were embarrassed about what you drive.

This is an exaggeration because I do not own a V8 VW. But I'm demonstrating the difference between a question asked by a state agent versus a question asked by a curious neighbor.

The state agent is being paid by the citizen to do a job. That job does not entail questions about our habits in the guise of chit-chat.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Yes, it makes sense. However, when you are wearing your state uniform, and approaching me on official business, you have no business asking me about the engine in my car, or my personal lawn grooming habits.

If you were off duty, and we ran into each other at a drag strip, I'd chat about my car until you were embarrassed about what you drive.

This is an exaggeration because I do not own a V8 VW. But I'm demonstrating the difference between a question asked by a state agent versus a question asked by a curious neighbor.

The state agent is being paid by the citizen to do a job. That job does not entail questions about our habits in the guise of chit-chat.

You're explaining why a person might say "Because I can". But that's not the same thing as what it really means.

You might say you're putting a V8 in your Bug "because you can", but you're really doing it for more power, or to be unique, or both.

There is an unspoken reason in every case. Our cop friend here was merely asking what that reason is. I think it's been explained adequately.

I also don't think he really ever had much trouble understanding why someone might feel inclined to give the apparent non-answer, "because I can".

It can be said without words:

......--Moderator Edited--
.................-- --

(I've really been liking that recently, lol)

But none of that is a motivating factor. It's just an answer given to those who don't deserve one.

Last edited: