• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police officer looking for respectful dialoge

Spideynw

You are correct, it is contractual. I also believe it is a moral obligation I am being paid, it would be dishonest to collect a salary then pick and chose the calls I respond to. And let me say it this way.

I disagree with DUI checkpoints, I personally believe that amounts to a detention and perhaps a search. The Supreme Court has ruled it does not. I still get assigned to work them and do so because I am being paid and have the same obligations described above. On a side note weeks ago the Utah legislature passed legislation disallowing checkpoints, I agree with that.

Duty is defined as legal or moral obligation. I believe I had a moral duty to earn my pay within the confines of the law as constituted.

I don't believe you.

1. Do you have a duty to investigate legal activity?
If someone were to call and say that they saw someone walking down the street with a red shirt, are you duty-bound to investigate?

There is ZERO reason to investigate LEGAL activity, let alone victimless activity. Why you feel a moral obligation to investigate victimless activity is beyond me.

colormered

Why "because I can" is reason enough.

Hello,

2. Why not concealed? From a purely tactical standpoint I would rather have my weapon concealed. A concealed weapon lends to the surprise part of speed, surprise, and violence of action. I am looking for real reasons, not "cause I can". I will accept deterrence as a legitimate reason.

Try this on for size. Because I'm proud to exercise this particular aspect of a right that the state has not yet infringed.

You state that YOU would rather have your weapon concealed. Everyone here enthusiastically supports your right to do so, and respectfully requests the same respect for how they choose to lawfully exercise the same right protected in ancient times by the Constitution.

Medic1210

They can definitely choose to not respond. They have no duty to protect.

You, sir, are incorrect. He gets dispatched to a call, no matter how insignificant it may seem to him, it's not his place to decide which one he goes on. Nothing about duty to protect. It's about being his job to go where he's sent.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That did not fly at Nuremberg.

The difference often depends not so much as to whether you followed the rules, nor your reason for doing so or not. Instead it depends on where you stand in the judgement of the winning side according to their rules. Life is not fair, but it can be decisively final.

First be true to thine own self.

MKEgal

stargateranch said:
Again not saying its a wrong answer, it just does not help me figure out how to swap the engine in my bug or help me understand the benefits of mowing your lawn in the early hours.
If the answer you get isn't the answer you needed, ask a better question.
I had the pleasure of watching a city attorney mentally backtrack through his questions of me (in a deposition) when he'd made a couple assumptions & eventually ran into a logical dead-end.
I'd been answering completely truthfully, and pretty much literally. :rolleyes:

Also stopped a SGT cold when I (again, completely truthfully) answered his question about how many guns were in my house.
me: I don't know, but I'm guessing at least 5.
him: WHERE ARE THEY?
me: On your hips.
him: (pause) That's a good one.
Then he started asking better questions, & I shut up.

stargateranch said:
1. When you open carry the police may be called.
When you go to church, the police may be called.
When you write your legislator, the police may be called.
When you vote, the police may be called.
Doesn't make much sense for those rights either.

2. Guns make me nervous, some cops with guns make me nervous.
I do not know your weapon handling skills, I do not know your intentions.
Other than the few whom I know socially, and the very few with whom I've shot, cops with guns make me nervous, esp. when they're looking on me as their next excuse to do paperwork for several hours.
I've read enough news stories of people being killed for holding a cell phone, or not "obeying commands" because they had an MP3 player blaring, to be VERY concerned for my safety around armed LEO.
As others have pointed out, many citizens are better (& safer) with their pistols than many LEO. We probably practice more often than most LEO. And even the FBI has released studies saying that criminals (for the most part) don't carry openly. (And almost never use a holster.) They couldn't withstand the scrutiny.

3. Confrontational... The purpose of carrying a firearms should be defense. Carry for the right reason.
I don't have to have a reason. I have the right.
Rights don't require reasons.
Do you ask someone to give you a good reason before you think it's OK for them to worship?
I carry primarily for personal defense (96%). I'll also defend any child. Adults would be determined on a case by case basis.
I do carry to raise awareness about the right to bear arms (2%),
and I do carry simply because I can (2%).

4. Identification
Not legally required unless I'm carrying concealed, or in an area restricted to licensees.
If LEO aren't allowed to stop random cars to check for valid licenses, how much less acceptable (legally) is it to stop random citizens and demand identity documents, esp. if the sole reason for doing so is the citizens' legal, lawful, peaceful exercise of a protected civil right?

Do you mind being contacted in a casual manner?
A smile & a nod as we both stand in line at the grocery? Not at all.
Buying me a cup of chai & shooting the breeze? BTDT.
Being invited to the cookout? Love to.
You on duty &/or in uniform, approaching out of the blue & asking questions, not so much. I'd probably treat you like any other random unknown person, which is to say I'd not likely be very interested in conversation, or I'd be cautious about it. And if you try to slip in any official nosiness, that's the end of the interaction.

Why not concealed?
Personal choice. Comfort. Less possibility of needing to use it. (The BG can see who to avoid.) Speed of access if I do need it. Public education & awareness.

How do you want to be approached?
1) Not at all.
2) With the offering of a large plate of brownies. :D
3) In a friendly manner & respectfully, just like any other person.
4) If you're single, male, straight, & off duty, the options broaden somewhat. ;)
Seriously, I've written complaint letters when cops screwed up, and I've written complimentary letters when an interaction went well, when the LEO involved respected & upheld my rights. (One Sheriff's deputy basically told a security guard & a baliff to get stuffed when they objected to me wearing an empty holster into a courthouse.)

If you could tell a group of cops anything what would you tell us?
1) I'm not the enemy. I won't hurt you, unless you're doing something you definitely shouldn't be doing (e.g. rape). If you're playing by the rules, the worst you have to fear from me is a letter to your Chief. If you're not playing by the rules, I have good lawyers.
2) I see RKBA much the same as any other protected civil right. If you wouldn't stop someone from going into a church (when it's obviously open for business), don't bother me simply for carrying.

As far as ID I would probabaly just ask for a name, my full name is clearly dispalyed on my uniform.
Apples & almonds. You're a public employee doing your job. You while at work, and what you do while at work, is not private. I'm a private citizen, and unless you have a good (legal) reason I don't have to interact with you at all. Even if you're arresting me, I don't have to talk to you.
[In some states courts have ruled there is no 5A right to remain silent. This is sad.]

when someone refuses ID I flash to all the past experiences I have had with those who refuse to ID themselves.
So you (& other officers) need to have lots of good experiences with LACs to offset your bad experiences with your usual clientele. :) Sort of like a speed dating night where the officers all ask for ID, & the LACs all refuse to provide it. Nobody gets hurt, we all get together for drinks afterward.

SovereignAxe said:
Tell your coworkers to please, please, don't answer a legal question if you don't know that answer to it... Lots of people take the words of a cop as gold or hard fact. So if you're unsure of someone's question, either find out for them or tell them to ask a lawyer/consult state law.
SA said:
realize that every arrest you make has tremendous financial consequences for the person involved... I've seen and read plenty of stories of people getting acquitted after all this happens. Or even worse, the person was arrested for a law that doesn't even exist, or one that was repealed recently... After it gets proved in court, he may have already lost his job and spent thousands of dollars on a lawyer proving you were wrong, and that's not right.
I'm in the middle of that right now. It's draining, both emotionally & financially. I know I didn't do anything wrong, but I've had to raise thousands of dollars to pay a lawyer to defend me from the lies of a cop* & the pigheadedness of a DA who doesn't recognize newly-enacted law.
[*There's that wall of silence & testilying again.]

stargateranch said:
What can I as an officer do to gain trust of an individual? Or as an officer do I have to always be under suspision and that is something I have to live with? Are there officers you trust?
As a random unknown officer approaching me for an unknown reason, I'll do my best to treat you with neutrality, but bear in mind that you look exactly like the officers who have acted badly toward me, so please understand when I'm cautious in my interaction with you.

As others have pointed out, that's pretty much the mindset most LEO have against any non-LEO... we look like the same scum you deal with every day, so you [generic LEO, not necessarily the OP] use the shortcut of assuming we're all lawless scum. Saves time.

In general, calmness, politeness, professionalism, & perhaps even mutual respect would be good from both sides.

If you choose to get to know me personally, and show that you're basically a stand-up guy, then you could become someone I trust who happens to be employed as a LEO. I have one such, plus a few who have been various flavors of LEO in past careers.

stargateranch said:
I train new officers and teach at the academy. I can train them what to do or not to do.
Good.

I have never asked someone why do they need to carry a gun. I have however been asked why I carry one at church.
Because Bad Guys have committed mass murder in churches across the USA.

Citizen said:
Cops are already supposed to know everybody's 4A and 5A rights
:cough: :splutter: :choke:

Gil223 said:
It is obvious, at least to me, that there are several folks here who hold all LEO's responsible for the actions of a few that may have initiated some professional action against them. If anybody has had 'difficulties' with more than one LEO, I would suggest that they take a look at their own manner of interaction.
colormered said:
Or could it be that several folks here, having been burned by a number of LEO's, are suspicious of all.
What red said.
Some departments (as in the city where I live) have policies from the Chief saying that anyone seen carrying in "his" city will be proned out, their pistol taken, then "the police will determine if you have the right to carry it".
That's a police problem, not a citizen problem.
(Yes, he really did say that. In a news conference. No, it hasn't happened... yet.)

Last edited:

PALO

Hello,

I am a officer here in Utah, I support the right to keep and bear arms. I am attempting to educate myself and those I work with and also make contacting those who open carry a good experience for all involved. That said I will make a few statements so you understand where I am coming from and then ask several questions and would appreciate your insight.

Statements, These are my personal beliefs

1. When you open carry the police may be called. I work for the citizens of Utah both those who open carry and those who make the call reporting the activity. I have a duty to investigate even if that means driving by, smiling and waving, and then moving on. Please do not fault me for responding to a request from another citizen.

2. Guns make me nervous, some cops with guns make me nervous. I do not know you weapon handling skills, I do not know your intentions. Nothing personal you just get paranoid doing this job for too long. Why? because I have arrested individuals who were "open carrying" one had felony warrants, one had hidden red and blue lights in his car, one had handcuffs, pepper spray, police jackets, and other items, one had more heroin and syringes in the car then I could shake a stick at. These folks are the exception (I hope) not the rule. Yes I had violations of the law allowing me to identify and detain these individuals not just the fact they were open carrying. So, everyone makes me nervous its not just you.

3. Confrontational, if you are putting on a firearm then hoping the cops stop you so you can show how smart, right, or awesome you are you are stupid. You may be well within your rights but you are stupid. The purpose of carrying a firearms should be defense. Carry for the right reason.

4. Identification, I really just want to earn a paycheck so I can feed my kids and go home to my wife. I understand the reasons for not wanting to provide identification and if you refuse that's fine by me it's your right, assuming you have not violated any laws. But consider this, you know who else refuses to carry ID or identify themselves to police? Drug cartel members (they do it so they don't get deported again), individuals with warrants who have violated the law and refused to handle it correctly. So still not saying you have to ID yourself but it sends red flags to officers. Heck years ago I had an individual who refused to ID himself, long story short he murdered several people in AZ and was on the FBI's most wanted. If you were me would you be seeing warning signs?

Questions,

1. Do you mind being contacted in a casual manner? not detained. I seriously just want to talk to you, I love guns and assuming you are not carrying a gigantic piece of crap (hi-point comes to mind) I will ask you how you like it and how it shoots, and maybe if you are selling it (do not tell my wife). Unless you are super busy thats cool too.

2. Why not concealed? From a purely tactical standpoint I would rather have my weapon concealed. A concealed weapon lends to the surprise part of speed, surprise, and violence of action. I am looking for real reasons, not "cause I can". I will accept deterrence as a legitimate reason.

3. How do you want to be approached? Like I said before I cannot just ignore a call I get dispatched to. Man with a gun calls are not entirely uncommon, I must respond and make sure no laws are being violated, or are about to be. Is there anyway I can do that without stepping on your toes or making this a huge deal when it does not need to be? Keep in mind I just want to make sure that you are not going to kill or hurt anyone (that doesn't need killin'). I would have a hard time sleeping if I did not confront an armed individual who later killed someones child.

4. If you could tell a group of cops anything what would you tell us? I will pass it on to my co-workers and hopefully we can avoid stupidity on both ends.

Thanks for reading, thanks for replying.

i am a cop, and i disagree with a lot of what you believe, so this could get interesting. fwiw, i have 20+ yrs law enforcement experience, and time as a training officer, detective, and even a deep undercover assignment, so rather diverse set of experiences

1) here in WA our dispatchers won't even send us when somebody calls to report a person open carrying, UNLESS he is doing something wacky etc. they will tell the caller "it's not a crime" and is fully protected. however, i agree. if i am called, i will drive to the location, and look. there is no rights violation there. but i will not make a stop of somebody for open carrying, because in my state, it's CLEARLY protected activity

2) guns don't make me nervous. they are inanimate objects. i know that lawful carriers are also amongst the MOST law abiding demographic there is. i am cautious around everybody, but somebody who is carrying (CCW etc.) i know that STATISTICALLY speaking, they are LESS likely to assault me, let alone shoot me. apart from elderly mormon grandmas, they are about the safest group of people to be around

3) i agree

several of my coworkers are open carriers. personally, don't even concealed carry off duty very often. i am here because i support the RIGHT to carry.

it's pretty much a non-issue imo. open carriers are starting to become more accepted in WA. 15 yrs ago, it was much more rare.

now, people are starting to realize - no big deal

JoeSparky

Centurion
So, PALO, why the snide (or was it bigoted) comment about certain grandmothers?

Bad Joke?
Bad attempt at bad joke?
or some sort of anti-(specific religion)?
Or just a complete fail at humor?

PALO

So, PALO, why the snide (or was it bigoted) comment about certain grandmothers?

Bad Joke?
Bad attempt at bad joke?
or some sort of anti-(specific religion)?
Or just a complete fail at humor?

it wasn't snide. it was acknowledging that

1) the elderly commit less crime per capita
2) women commit less crime (especially violent crime per capita)
3) mormons are amongst the most law abiding demographic as described by religion. iow, mormons on average, per capita, are less likely to commit part I and part II crimes than adherents to many other religions.

so, if one was to give an example of a demographic that, statistically speaking (iow on average) i would have less to fear from (in regards to assault, etc.) mormon grandmothers would fit that bill

hth

JoeSparky

Centurion
it wasn't snide. it was acknowledging that

1) the elderly commit less crime per capita
2) women commit less crime (especially violent crime per capita)
3) mormons are amongst the most law abiding demographic as described by religion. iow, mormons on average, per capita, are less likely to commit part I and part II crimes than adherents to many other religions.

so, if one was to give an example of a demographic that, statistically speaking (iow on average) i would have less to fear from (in regards to assault, etc.) mormon grandmothers would fit that bill

hth

Then I misunderstood your intended meaning in your statement.... my apologies!

PALO

Then I misunderstood your intended meaning in your statement.... my apologies!

no problem. i appreciate that.

it's one of my memes, iow when describing a law abiding demographic, i often refer to "mormon grandmas"

sudden valley gunner

i am a cop, and i disagree with a lot of what you believe, so this could get interesting. fwiw, i have 20+ yrs law enforcement experience, and time as a training officer, detective, and even a deep undercover assignment, so rather diverse set of experiences

1) here in WA our dispatchers won't even send us when somebody calls to report a person open carrying, UNLESS he is doing something wacky etc. they will tell the caller "it's not a crime" and is fully protected. however, i agree. if i am called, i will drive to the location, and look. there is no rights violation there. but i will not make a stop of somebody for open carrying, because in my state, it's CLEARLY protected activity

2) guns don't make me nervous. they are inanimate objects. i know that lawful carriers are also amongst the MOST law abiding demographic there is. i am cautious around everybody, but somebody who is carrying (CCW etc.) i know that STATISTICALLY speaking, they are LESS likely to assault me, let alone shoot me. apart from elderly mormon grandmas, they are about the safest group of people to be around

3) i agree

several of my coworkers are open carriers. personally, don't even concealed carry off duty very often. i am here because i support the RIGHT to carry.

it's pretty much a non-issue imo. open carriers are starting to become more accepted in WA. 15 yrs ago, it was much more rare.

now, people are starting to realize - no big deal

I have seen both evidence that confirms this and is contrary to it, so I think it isn't a blanket rule in Washington.

I was in DOL, got a phone call so went outside to take it. Man on phone outside with back to me...."...he just sitting there..." "...no its in a holster..." "...White male...." "...What you do you mean you can't do anything about it....."...I asked him when he finished was he calling 911 about me he said yes because what I am doing is "highly unusual".

Then one time at Starbucks a friend and mine having coffee, cops came in one cop said "OH its you" turned around and left (Elmendore) the other shook my hand thanked me for the education, and told me they had a call and are obliged to check it out.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Originally Posted by stargateranch
(1)What can I as an officer do to gain trust of an individual? (2)Or as an officer do I have to always be under suspision and that is something I have to live with? (3)Are there officers you trust?

(1)Clean up your "community". You all look alike, I do not know who to trust, so I am leery of you all.
(2)yes and yes
(3) Yes, many, even family members are LEOs.

Again, in Washington State, the ONLY people that have ever bothered me about my weapon were LEOs.

PALO

I have seen both evidence that confirms this and is contrary to it, so I think it isn't a blanket rule in Washington.

I was in DOL, got a phone call so went outside to take it. Man on phone outside with back to me...."...he just sitting there..." "...no its in a holster..." "...White male...." "...What you do you mean you can't do anything about it....."...I asked him when he finished was he calling 911 about me he said yes because what I am doing is "highly unusual".

Then one time at Starbucks a friend and mine having coffee, cops came in one cop said "OH its you" turned around and left (Elmendore) the other shook my hand thanked me for the education, and told me they had a call and are obliged to check it out.

i am not claiming it is a blanket rule. dispatch rules/policies of course differ WIDELY dept. to dept. our dept. USED to send us on those calls, and of course we'd GO (not wanting to violate policy) but just "observe and report" (lol) iow not make a STOP or even a 'social contact'.

we (patrol officers and sgt's) FINALLY managed to convince the bean counter/admins/copocrats at dispatch that sending us to such details was STUPID since it was not even remotely connected to criminal suspicion.

the last one i got sent on was because the caller said the carriers appeared to be juveniles, which of course WOULD be a law violation

turns out, as i suspected before even arriving , that they were kids with AIRSOFT guns.

i would suggest that any agency that DISPATCHES officers merely because a person reports an open carrier are ASKING for trouble, because they are at least implicitly establishing that they consider open carriers a law enforcement "concern" when in fact they are just people exercising their CLEARLY established rights

sudden valley gunner

i am not claiming it is a blanket rule. dispatch rules/policies of course differ WIDELY dept. to dept. our dept. USED to send us on those calls, and of course we'd GO (not wanting to violate policy) but just "observe and report" (lol) iow not make a STOP or even a 'social contact'.

we (patrol officers and sgt's) FINALLY managed to convince the bean counter/admins/copocrats at dispatch that sending us to such details was STUPID since it was not even remotely connected to criminal suspicion.

the last one i got sent on was because the caller said the carriers appeared to be juveniles, which of course WOULD be a law violation

turns out, as i suspected before even arriving , that they were kids with AIRSOFT guns.

i would suggest that any agency that DISPATCHES officers merely because a person reports an open carrier are ASKING for trouble, because they are at least implicitly establishing that they consider open carriers a law enforcement "concern" when in fact they are just people exercising their CLEARLY established rights

I agree it should be done. I am glad you and your fellow cops have decided to operate how you do.

mommaof3

My answers

Well, this is my very first post on here...so hope all goes well :)

1. I understand the police may be called. I have no problems with you driving past and seeing that I am not a threat to anyone.
2. Guns don’t make me nervous. The people carrying the guns could make me nervous depending on their behavior. I would expect that a person openly carrying a gun to be less of a threat, as they would be VERY obvious and memorable to many people, as OC is still fairly unusual. A possible criminal would be very dumb indeed to walk around with a gun strapped on, while intending to do a crime. Just my little thought on the subject.
3. I carry for defense of myself and my children, not to make a statement. I don’t like all the horror stories you hear now a days…from kidnappings, murders and babies getting molested in the local Wal-mart.
4. Provided the officer treated me with the respect I deserve, I have no trouble showing ID. In my small town, I have had the help of different officers different times. I respect them, they respect me…they always laugh that I finally paid enough seat belt tickets to wear my seatbelt…and laugh they haven’t caught me speeding again. Bad habit. I tell em I’m just to fast for em to catch me. I laughed with Roger when he hid behind that building and finally caught me! Really though, since I am new to the rules, etc…I will learn some more on this great site and get back to you on that statement.
QUESTIONS:
1. I don’t mind being contacted, but then again I can just babble on all day, just ask my poor hubby. As a security person, I had to talk to many people, and I met a lot of great people when I was in security/EMS at our local casino. I met a lot of cool people…and then I met a lot of people I wanted to toss out on their …. Ear. In contact first impression is everything. I think you should keep it “cool”. I had a state trooper find a knife in my hubbys truck he uses to cut carpeting. S.T. acted all dumb and dropped it, and kicked it out of my reach and got all nervous and scared…I rolled my eyes and played along. It turned out fine…but don’t be a Gomer. Was that his name?
2. I would think that having a concealed weapon will bring far less potential legal trouble, from scared people calling 911 on this Momma Bear with my ‘cubs’…but having an OC is my right. It shall not be infringed upon. I can, and I do. (just recently…as I said I am a newbie!:) An OC says to anyone who wants to grab up one of my babies…that that kind of nonsense will NOT be tolerated. It is an evil person who would try to snatch a young’in from a toy aisle in a retail store. My “Judge” says they will not try.
3. Approach me the same way I was trained too and always liked to approach people. Smile, say hi, introduce yourself. I always said something that gets a “yes” response right away, much the same as a salesperson wants to do the same thing. “It sure is cold out, isn’t it?” or funny, like I always did, “Betchya thought I was out to get ya?” Conversational. Respect me. Talk to me. Laugh with me. DON’T come up and start yelling at me like you’re a king talking to a lowly servant. Don’t order me around within 10 seconds of walking up. Know that I am a person the same as you…except for the wife part. I too just want to go home to my family. I too don’t want to be threatened. I don’t want you to stand arms crossed, legs planted shoulder distance apart glaring at me like a drill Sgt. to a new recruit you don’t like. Don’t look at me like you look at a fly on your table, while you’re rolling up a magazine. In my case, treat me like a woman, a mother, a fellow citizen. I too like guns and I like to talk as well…(obviously!)
4. I kinda just covered that…oh and btw…I don’t like hi-point either, they are a great gun...but I've never been a fan of polymer on guns. noisy on hunting guns...saw a guy drop his, cracked the plastic all the way around. Seriously, if I am carrying a gun in a holster on my hip…odds are, I am not out to commit a crime. I wouldn’t let a gun make me nervous. I would let a guy with shifty eyes and a suspicious lump in his pocket make me nervous before a guy standing in line waiting for a box of chicken nuggets with a holstered gun.
5. One last thing….Stargate ranch? My fav show is Stargate… I think it’s cool you asked these questions. I don’t agree with a gun making you nervous but I see your thoughts behind it. Liking Stargate and being conversational in your initial questions and responses while seeing the other persons point gives you the points back I took away for being nervous of guns.

sudden valley gunner

Momma, welcome to the forum.

I would like to address the point were you said you have no problem showing your ID, that is your choice, but please think about the effect it has on enabling the officers in thinking they can request/coerce/demand to see ID, if I happen to be the next encounter after you, he might not be so willing to accept the fact I am not going to surrender my ID.

It might seem like a small detail in the scope of things but to some of us it isn't. To me the 4th amendment is worth taking a stand against any intrusion.

mommaof3

Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks a lot for the informative answer on the ID. As I stated to Stargateranch, I knew I would learn more about all of this, as I am new to OC, this forum and new to the idea that I don't HAVE to give my ID. I am glad I have found this site, and am learning a lot already just by reading your posts. I know I need to know my amendments and what they mean to me...I was always in the outskirts of the 'sheeple' I never quite "fit in" there. I always asked to many questions...I wanted to know all the answers, why do I have to do it this way? Why do they have that? Why do they do that? Why does no one question?
I think I really started to wake up when I began to have my 3 awesome little 'cubs'! :) What example do I set for them by questioning but not taking action? I am glad I am here, and can learn from you guys. I appreciate the feed back and the knowledge. We can never know enough. Perhaps the ID thing is simply due to the fact I grew up in a small town. I know all the people on the Department. We all laugh and joke, (except that mean crabby lady who's all full of herself)sometimes even talking in Kwik Trip over coffee. I have never met a cop outside of my small area, and I am kind of known here for losing my ID. They just roll their eyes at me and say "again?" I certainly have more to learn, and I thank you for the response. :) I look forward to learning more.