Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Quick Question

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4

    Quick Question

    I've been doing some research about carrying openly at the age of 18. I've read http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument....13&DocType=ARS but nowere in that document does it say I can legally carry openly at 18. Were can I see this law written in black and white? Only reason i ask is because a LEO told me it is illegal.

    Any help is greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitas View Post
    I've been doing some research about carrying openly at the age of 18. I've read http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument....13&DocType=ARS but nowere in that document does it say I can legally carry openly at 18. Were can I see this law written in black and white? Only reason i ask is because a LEO told me it is illegal.

    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    LEO is a moron. I don't have refs handy, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you to relevant hard facts.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol-Packing-Preacher-in-PV View Post
    LEO is a moron. I don't have refs handy, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you to relevant hard facts.
    Hard facts would be nice. lol

  4. #4
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    958
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitas View Post
    Hard facts would be nice. lol
    Try this link... http://opencarry.org/az.html

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by GWbiker View Post

    yeah... preferably a authoritative link, please.

  6. #6
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    First, generally laws are written to make something illegal. In the absence of a law making something illegal it is legal.

    There is Federal law making it illegal for an FFL (Federal Firearms Licensee) to sell or transfer a handgun to anyone under 21 year of age. There is no federal law making it illegal for anyone not under 18years of age to own, possess, received, or carry a handgun provided the individual is not prohibited due to other NON AGE RELATED FACTORS.

    There is NO AZ law making it illegal for an 18 year old or older to possess, own, or carry a firearm.

    Go back to your LEO friend and make him show you the statute that makes it illegal for a person 18 years or older who is not otherwise prohibited to own/carry/possess a handgun.... the ONLY thing he will be able to show you is the prohibition for an FFL to transfer to one under 21.

    No AZ law prohibits the PRIVATE transfer, sale, gift, or inheritance to one 18 years or older who is not otherwise prohibited!

    Basically, you can't buy from an FFL or have someone from another State give you a handgun (requires an FFL transfer).


    And the link that GWBiker provided you HAS A LINK TO THE AZ STATUTES.

    Best solution for an AUTHORITATIVE answer would be to consult an attorney licensed to practice law in your State!
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 02-25-2012 at 07:41 PM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  7. #7
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    958
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitas View Post
    yeah... preferably a authoritative link, please.
    "Only reason i ask is because a LEO told me it is illegal."

    There's your authoritative link, wise guy.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by GWbiker View Post
    "Only reason i ask is because a LEO told me it is illegal."

    There's your authoritative link, wise guy.
    Considering I found out today by Arizona DPS that the officer gave me false information, I think that you should just be quiet.

    Thanks for the helpful replys.

  9. #9
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    958
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitas View Post
    Considering I found out today by Arizona DPS that the officer gave me false information, I think that you should just be quiet.

    Thanks for the helpful replys.
    With just a few post to your name, I think you'll be the quiet one here.

    Several of us on this subforum helped write the recent new Arizona gun laws. Any related questions on your behalf should be asked in a more tactful tone.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitas View Post
    yeah... preferably a authoritative link, please.
    The link provided also links to the Arizona Revised Statutes (i.e. the Arizona Laws), and www.handgunlaw.us, a pretty reliable site.

    When people point you to the definitive information, it would behove you to not be a smart-ass until you have some credibility of your own. That's not meant to be condescending, it's one of the unwritten rules of social behavior. No, I don't have an authoritative link for that.... 8>)

  11. #11
    Regular Member TeamHi-Point's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Detroit area
    Posts
    13

    Thumbs up +1 to those who responded.

    Well even though the OP was kind of a a-hole (not too unusual for a 18yr. these days) I thank you gents for your answers here. I may be moving to your fine state soon and the info. posted is very helpful. Thanks

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23

    Az Gun Owners Guide

    You may wish to purchase "The Arizona Gun Owners Guide" before you move here. It's a great overview of the states laws and may
    save you some geirf once you get here. You also might wish to surf for ALIS (AZ leg. info. system) it's the states actual statutory texts.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958
    Punk attitude on forums (not just this one) is getting to be a bit irksome. I suppose that's a product of other forums where bashing and ******** is considered normal. 'Lotta cop bashing going on as well. Some of it's deserved, but most of it's just deliberately confrontational crap from juvenile attitudes. Some of these people have 'issues' and shouldn't be allowed unsupervised travel... much less carrying guns.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •