• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick Question

I've been doing some research about carrying openly at the age of 18. I've read http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03102.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS but nowere in that document does it say I can legally carry openly at 18. Were can I see this law written in black and white? Only reason i ask is because a LEO told me it is illegal.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

LEO is a moron. I don't have refs handy, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you to relevant hard facts.

JoeSparky

Centurion
First, generally laws are written to make something illegal. In the absence of a law making something illegal it is legal.

There is Federal law making it illegal for an FFL (Federal Firearms Licensee) to sell or transfer a handgun to anyone under 21 year of age. There is no federal law making it illegal for anyone not under 18years of age to own, possess, received, or carry a handgun provided the individual is not prohibited due to other NON AGE RELATED FACTORS.

There is NO AZ law making it illegal for an 18 year old or older to possess, own, or carry a firearm.

Go back to your LEO friend and make him show you the statute that makes it illegal for a person 18 years or older who is not otherwise prohibited to own/carry/possess a handgun.... the ONLY thing he will be able to show you is the prohibition for an FFL to transfer to one under 21.

No AZ law prohibits the PRIVATE transfer, sale, gift, or inheritance to one 18 years or older who is not otherwise prohibited!

Basically, you can't buy from an FFL or have someone from another State give you a handgun (requires an FFL transfer).

And the link that GWBiker provided you HAS A LINK TO THE AZ STATUTES.

Best solution for an AUTHORITATIVE answer would be to consult an attorney licensed to practice law in your State!

Last edited:

Infinitas

"Only reason i ask is because a LEO told me it is illegal."

There's your authoritative link, wise guy.

Considering I found out today by Arizona DPS that the officer gave me false information, I think that you should just be quiet.

Thanks for the helpful replys.

GWbiker

Considering I found out today by Arizona DPS that the officer gave me false information, I think that you should just be quiet.

Thanks for the helpful replys.

With just a few post to your name, I think you'll be the quiet one here.

Several of us on this subforum helped write the recent new Arizona gun laws. Any related questions on your behalf should be asked in a more tactful tone.

PavePusher

yeah... preferably a authoritative link, please.

The link provided also links to the Arizona Revised Statutes (i.e. the Arizona Laws), and www.handgunlaw.us, a pretty reliable site.

When people point you to the definitive information, it would behove you to not be a smart-ass until you have some credibility of your own. That's not meant to be condescending, it's one of the unwritten rules of social behavior. No, I don't have an authoritative link for that.... 8>)

TeamHi-Point

+1 to those who responded.

Well even though the OP was kind of a a-hole (not too unusual for a 18yr. these days) I thank you gents for your answers here. I may be moving to your fine state soon and the info. posted is very helpful. Thanks:D

Viking

Az Gun Owners Guide

You may wish to purchase "The Arizona Gun Owners Guide" before you move here. It's a great overview of the states laws and may
save you some geirf once you get here. You also might wish to surf for ALIS (AZ leg. info. system) it's the states actual statutory texts.

Sonora Rebel

Punk attitude on forums (not just this one) is getting to be a bit irksome. I suppose that's a product of other forums where bashing and ******** is considered normal. 'Lotta cop bashing going on as well. Some of it's deserved, but most of it's just deliberately confrontational crap from juvenile attitudes. Some of these people have 'issues' and shouldn't be allowed unsupervised travel... much less carrying guns.