• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at the J&J Gun Show at the Deltaplex

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Well, got the opportunity to visit the new gun & knife show in the Deltaplex, and was quite pleased. Parking was orderly, paid our $5 to get in, AND, most importantly, lawful carry was allowed.

Many well stocked booths, with something for everyone (unless you were looking for Pakistani incense or funnel cakes). Only a few booths selling toys I could have done without. Airsoft doesn't belong at a gun & knife show, in my opinion. You opinion may differ.

Everything was well laid out with generous aisles between rows, great lighting.

Only down point was a comment at the gate (which I did not hear about until after I went through the show) that lawfully carried sidearms must be concealed. Not only is that absurd, but potentially incorrect, as one may argue that the Deltaplex is an entertainment facility. If so, lawful carry would only be OC with a CPL, and no carry without. Nevertheless, no one said anything about my exposed weapon after I took my jacket off- it was getting a little tropical.

All in all, a fabulous first showing for J&J.

After we left there, Steel Magnolia suggested we trot down to Wyoming to check out the former tenants of the Deltaplex show.

Took a while to find it; got some bad info that it was in the old Studio 28 theater facility. Wrong. It was in the back of a little strip mall in an old fabric store. Parking was a zoo; people were literally parking in the driveways, choking the access down to one lane. I'm surprised that the Wyoming Fire Department didn't shut them down; no way they could get a fire truck or rescue unit anywhere near the front door. Parking in the aisles was also 3 deep; cars were literally trapped between other vehicles, and had no other recourse other then to wait for whoever blocked them to finish their shopping.

Outside the front door was a large sign claiming that the buying & selling of firearms in the parking lot was 'illegal'. I'd love to see a cite on that; I believe it to be an empty, bogus and childish attempt to interfere with free trade. I call BS, unless they can show a state law prohibiting it. A city ordinance does not cut it; preemption takes care of that.

Since there was no legitimate place to park, and I wasn't willing to take the risk of my vehicle getting trapped between two bozos, or worse, we decided to get out of the area as quickly as possible. It may have been gun nirvana in the old fabric store, but I wasn't taking any chances.

I recommend that next time they find a legitimate venue that can accommodate the inevitable crowds, instead of some old strip mall fabric store. I was embarrassed for them.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Well, got the opportunity to visit the new gun & knife show in the Deltaplex, and was quite pleased. Parking was orderly, paid our $5 to get in, AND, most importantly, lawful carry was allowed.

Many well stocked booths, with something for everyone (unless you were looking for Pakistani incense or funnel cakes). Only a few booths selling toys I could have done without. Airsoft doesn't belong at a gun & knife show, in my opinion. You opinion may differ.

Only down point was a comment at the gate (which I did not hear about until after I went through the show) that lawfully carried sidearms must be concealed. Not only is that absurd, but potentially incorrect, as one may argue that the Deltaplex is an entertainment facility. If so, lawful carry would only be OC with a CPL, and no carry without. Nevertheless, no one said anything about my exposed weapon after I took my jacket off- it was getting a little tropical.

After we left there, Steel Magnolia suggested we trot down to Wyoming to check out the former tenants of the Deltaplex show.

Took a while to find it; got some bad info that it was in the old Studio 28 theater facility. Wrong. It was in the back of a little strip mall in an old fabric store. Parking was a zoo; people were literally parking in the driveways, choking the access down to one lane. I'm surprised that the Wyoming Fire Department didn't shut them down; no way they could get a fire truck or rescue unit anywhere near the front door. Parking in the aisles was also 3 deep; cars were literally trapped between other vehicles, and had no other recourse other then to wait for whoever blocked them to finish their shopping.

Outside the front door was a large sign claiming that the buying & selling of firearms in the parking lot was 'illegal'. I'd love to see a cite on that; I believe it to be an empty, bogus and childish attempt to interfere with free trade. I call BS, unless they can show a state law prohibiting it. A city ordinance does not cut it; preemption takes care of that.

Since there was no legitimate place to park, and I wasn't willing to take the risk of my vehicle getting trapped between two bozos, or worse, we decided to get out of the area as quickly as possible. It may have been gun nirvana in the old fabric store, but I wasn't taking any chances.

I recommend that next time they find a legitimate venue that can accommodate the inevitable crowds, instead of some old strip mall fabric store. I was embarrassed for them.

I'm glad I didn't go to the new location on 28th street; I didn't know the old venue also had a gun show. The studio 28 location would have probably been more logical, but Jack Loeks hates firearms... in fact, studio 28 posted a sign that matched the signage referred to in MCL 28.425o.

Regarding the deltaplex venue and cc: I believe we had a thread here a few years ago regarding the issue of an entertainment facility. I believe that the consensus was that it failed in regards to the seating required since the venue for the gun show is separate from the arena. As I recall the arena and the show area are actually separate buildings. This information came from Delta Plex management and KCSD if my memory is correct. However, the question would be eliminated if they allowed lawful OC instead of following the "out of sight, out of mind philosophy". My only question is why have them scheduled for the same weekend?

Last edited:

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I'm glad I didn't go to the new location on 28th street; I didn't know the old venue also had a gun show. The studio 28 location would have probably been more logical, but Jack Loeks hates firearms... in fact, studio 28 posted a sign that matched the signage referred to in MCL 28.425o.

Regarding the deltaplex venue and cc: I believe we had a thread here a few years ago regarding the issue of an entertainment facility. I believe that the consensus was that it failed in regards to the seating required since the venue for the gun show is separate from the arena. As I recall the arena and the show area are actually separate buildings. This information came from Delta Plex management and KCSD if my memory is correct. However, the question would be eliminated if they allowed lawful OC instead of following the "out of sight, out of mind philosophy". My only question is why have them scheduled for the same weekend?

I think they were having a contest to see who's was 'bigger'. Actually, one could speculate that Deltaplex had the venue available on this date for a gun show, and invited J&J to fill the bill. I don't know the rational why someone would choose to relocate to such a less than optimal location as a former fabric store in the back of a strip mall in a seedy little town like Wyoming.....

Since the arena and the exhibition hall are physically in the same building, one 'could' make the argument either way. OC would be safer, JIC.

xmanhockey7

Just because a place is an entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more does not necessarily mean you need a CPL to OC there. Reference 750.234d

SpringerXDacp

For an Entertainment Facility, the only time the CPL is required, IMO, is when both the following are met:

A) You're carrying concealed, and
B) You're exempt under 28.425o

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Just because a place is an entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more does not necessarily mean you need a CPL to OC there. Reference 750.234d

For an Entertainment Facility, the only time the CPL is required, IMO, is when both the following are met:

A) You're carrying concealed, and
B) You're exempt under 28.425o

True

I actually went to the Delta Plex today... OC.
I was never asked if I had a firearm. I did see a table set up with a sign "Firearm Check" but, since I thought that my firearm was working fine, I passed up the opportunity to have mine "checked".