Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new toy, have not went OC with it yet...

My new toy, have not went OC with it yet...

My first form 1 build, very quiet with subsonic ammo, and accurate as well

God forbid you ever have to draw it....

actually it is not to bad from a hip holster, but yeah, a thigh rig would be slightly faster, it's only 3.6 inches long.

Not something that will fit in your pocket I am guessing.

What type of holster would that rig require?

I'm guess something that's high speed, low drag of sorts.

Just remember that to OC a threaded barrel in some localities you still need a CHP. Stupid rules... or is it "stupidity rules"?

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-287.4

18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.
    The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    The exemptions set forth in 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

I have my CHP and this slightly modified rig seems to work well...I removed the camo duct tape yesterday because it was not like regular duct tape. It is more of a printed "plastic" tape that i was afraid would melt if the can got to hot;so I switched to rubberized electrical tape, the 2 inch wide stuff. Cool thing is that the rubberized tape when pulled tight allows my ATF required markings to show through quite nicely, without having to pull the tape back for inspection. I mainly built this for home defense to protect my hearing, but will OC atleast once, just because I can...

Quote Originally Posted by stickslinger View Post
    Not something that will fit in your pocket I am guessing.

What type of holster would that rig require?

I'm guess something that's high speed, low drag of sorts.
    Actually fits in my pocket quite nicely, not jeans ofcourse but coat pocket for sure, weighs less than half a pound I'm guessing, I need a small digital scale to measure though...

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Did you make any changes to the gun?
    I've never built one of course....but if I had, I would have found I needed to use a 380 that had no locking at all and really reduce the recoil spring to cycle the squib loads. That caused some feeding issues with the magazine (In theory).

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I've never built one of course....but if I had, I would have found I needed to use a 380 that had no locking at all and really reduce the recoil spring to cycle the squib loads. That caused some feeding issues with the magazine (In theory).

Well the gun is a Ruger P93, and the only mod, was that I put a Ruger P85 factory length barrel in it once I got it threaded. I really want to get a Hi Point Compensated 9mm so that I can build a true "silencer", just for the reasons you listed. The Hi Point is blow back operated not locked breech, thus keeping the weight down to ensure cycling would be a non issue.

This is a "suppressor" not a true "silencer", partly because of the limitations I had to work with on length and weight, so I had to go all aluminum, so that I would not have to dick around with the recoil spring or have to buy or build a recoil booster to make it cycle properly.

The Hi points are cheap and ugly but from the torture test videos I have seen on those guns, they are damn near indestructable, I don't even think Glocks could handle the nastiness I have seen done to those guns, and with the fixed barrel, any length and weight of "can" would not hinder it's reliability, as it were...

Quote Originally Posted by DJEEPER View Post
    God forbid you ever have to draw it....
    That goes for any of us.

It isn't too long for a normal draw.
    Heck both of my EDC have 6"bbl's

Have many db's does it reduce?
    Last edited by Marco; 02-27-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

That occurs to me: to change it into a "toy" you could paint that suppressor red. That'll get you some attention, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    That occurs to me: to change it into a "toy" you could paint that suppressor red. That'll get you some attention, huh?
    I don't know the legal ramifications but I would find it funny if he painted it to be identical to a Coke can. :-)

Last edited by 45acpForMe; 02-26-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    I don't know the legal ramifications but I would find it funny if he painted it to be identical to a Coke can. :-)

That's hilarious! I really like that.

Illegal to carry in Richmond, as cited earlier.

As an option, I might suggest Red Bull.

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-287.4

18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.
    One has to wonder why VCDL hasn't made any apparent effort to get this repealed....

Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post
    One has to wonder why VCDL hasn't made any apparent effort to get this repealed....

Roscoe
    Because CHP holders are exempt Roscoe!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    That goes for any of us.

It isn't too long for a normal draw.
    Heck both of my EDC have 6"bbl's

Have many db's does it reduce?
    I don't have a "meter" for decibels other than my ears , but subsonic ammo in the can "dry" at 41 degrees F. it's about as loud as an average clap. Wet the can and it goes hollywood on me,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    I don't have a "meter" for decibels other than my ears , but subsonic ammo in the can "dry" at 41 degrees F. it's about as loud as an average clap. Wet the can and it goes hollywood on me,lol.
    Again, never having built one
    The subsonic round should make more noise hitting a hard backstop and the action should be louder, than the report.

Going on what I read though...the gap on a revolver if so equipped, makes a hell of a racket.
    Last edited by peter nap; 02-27-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Again, never having built one
    The subsonic round should make more noise hitting a hard backstop and the action should be louder, than the report.

Going on what I read though...the gap on a revolver if so equipped, makes a hell of a racket.
    If i was shooting a target a little further away I may hear the bullet impact, but my target so far has been a chunk of wood at 5 yards with a "shoot n see" on it.
    Revolvers are interesting though; years ago in an edition of "Assault Weapons" I believe 4th edition, there was a section on silenced revolvers. Most were crazy with shrouds built around the "wheel" , but one was REALLY cool, it was a Ruger based revolver I believe that house a .30cal FMJ bullet inside a standard revolver caliber case, but in front of the bullet was a "rubber"?, seal that would seal off the gap between "wheel" and barrel, just as the bullet and propellant gases left the case. At subsonic velocities, they were shooting .30 cal sniper rounds, giving the enemy the appearance of having been shot from long distance,lol, but they were actually very very close to the enemy. I think the weapon was made by Knight Armament, but that book was destroyed in Isabel when my house got flooded,

Actually I bet that on rimfire revolvers one could "make a gasket" to effectivly seal the gap while permitting rotatation. I feel another 200 hundred dollars ready to go the ATF again!!!
    Last edited by Pagan; 02-27-2012 at 10:09 AM. Reason: another thing to add...

Dan Wesson .38spl and Nagant revolvers can be suppressed effectively.
    The DW's cylinder gap can be closed but the cylinder will need to be hand turned, with the 7.62 Nagant it uses the unusual gas seal system that closes the cylinder barrel gap when cocked.

Decades ago, I remember there was someone that installed a neoprene ring on the bolt face of a suprressed Ruger Mark II (iirc) to quiet the bolt closing.

Another neat one is the suppressed Enfield bolt action rifle converted to 45acp.
    Last edited by Marco; 02-27-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Because CHP holders are exempt Roscoe!
    Yeah, I knew that, I guess the sarcasm was too subtle.

Between VCDL's continued pushing of P4P, and their inexcusably late opposition to the Castle Doctrine bills, it's going to make it VERY difficult to send them another check come renewal time this fall...

Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post
    Yeah, I knew that, I guess the sarcasm was too subtle.

Between VCDL's continued pushing of P4P, and their inexcusably late opposition to the Castle Doctrine bills, it's going to make it VERY difficult to send them another check come renewal time this fall...

Roscoe

I've heard that a few times over that last few weeks.

~Alan Korwin

I've heard that a few times over that last few weeks.
    I'm not at that point Guys.
    There are a couple of things VCDL could do to make me drop them like a hot potato and while they have considered them, they haven't.

There is a lot of bad in the organization, people who I consider self serving, people who I consider misdirected and more than a few that I consider downright stupid.

There are also tireless and dedicated people like Philip and Dale and Dan. (Others too)

Having lobbied long before VCDL, when we were disorganized and largely ineffective, I'm not anxious to try it again.
    It may be time to plant a new grass roots organization but until that happens or they shoot themselves in the foot, I'll stick with VCDL.

Founder's Club Member
    I'm not at that point Guys.
    There are a couple of things VCDL could do to make me drop them like a hot potato and while they have considered them, they haven't.

There is a lot of bad in the organization, people who I consider self serving, people who I consider misdirected and more than a few that I consider downright stupid.

There are also tireless and dedicated people like Philip and Dale and Dan. (Others too)

Having lobbied long before VCDL, when we were disorganized and largely ineffective, I'm not anxious to try it again.
    It may be time to plant a new grass roots organization but until that happens or they shoot themselves in the foot, I'll stick with VCDL.
    That is a wise position Peter Nap. The ability to have even a semi-useful organization is a monstrous asset that should not be soon wasted. I suppose being down here in The Burg keeps me from seeing a lot of the crappy folks that you might be likely to interact with up toward Richmond where more meetings are held. I can still spot support for bills that leave me scratching my head, or outright opposing, but I don't have to deal with the actors who come up with the ideas.

I admit that I didn't write the membership check for 2011-2012, but I still recommend the organization and have no major issue with associating with it and lobbying for most of the bills they spend time recommending.
    Last edited by jmelvin; 02-27-2012 at 02:40 PM.

VCDL.

Agreed.
    I just hope VCDL hierachy understands the frustration felt by some members.

Sorry for the derail Pagan.

BOT:
    I'm presuming this was a home build vs factory bought.
    Did you choose that firearm for a reason or was it what you just happened to own?
    Last edited by Marco; 03-04-2012 at 06:55 PM.

~Alan Korwin

Agreed.
    I just hope VCDL hierachy understands the fustration felt by some members.

Sorry for the derail Pagan.

BOT:
    I'm presuming this was a home build vs factory bought.
    Did you choose that firearm for a reason or was it what you just happened to own?
    yes form 1 means home made, i did already own the P93, but i also knew that a P85 barrel would drop in with very little fitting, and a friend of mine had a P85 barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast