• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My new toy, have not went OC with it yet...

Pagan

My first form 1 build, very quiet with subsonic ammo, and accurate as well
suppressor.jpg

stickslinger

Not something that will fit in your pocket I am guessing.

What type of holster would that rig require?

I'm guess something that's high speed, low drag of sorts.

45acpForMe

Just remember that to OC a threaded barrel in some localities you still need a CHP. Stupid rules... or is it "stupidity rules"?

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.
The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

Pagan

I have my CHP and this slightly modified rig seems to work well...I removed the camo duct tape yesterday because it was not like regular duct tape. It is more of a printed "plastic" tape that i was afraid would melt if the can got to hot;so I switched to rubberized electrical tape, the 2 inch wide stuff. Cool thing is that the rubberized tape when pulled tight allows my ATF required markings to show through quite nicely, without having to pull the tape back for inspection. I mainly built this for home defense to protect my hearing, but will OC atleast once, just because I can;)...

suppressedholster.jpg

Pagan

Not something that will fit in your pocket I am guessing.

What type of holster would that rig require?

I'm guess something that's high speed, low drag of sorts.

Actually fits in my pocket quite nicely, not jeans ofcourse but coat pocket for sure, weighs less than half a pound I'm guessing, I need a small digital scale to measure though...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Did you make any changes to the gun?
I've never built one of course....but if I had, I would have found I needed to use a 380 that had no locking at all and really reduce the recoil spring to cycle the squib loads. That caused some feeding issues with the magazine (In theory).

Pagan

Did you make any changes to the gun?
I've never built one of course....but if I had, I would have found I needed to use a 380 that had no locking at all and really reduce the recoil spring to cycle the squib loads. That caused some feeding issues with the magazine (In theory).

Well the gun is a Ruger P93, and the only mod, was that I put a Ruger P85 factory length barrel in it once I got it threaded. I really want to get a Hi Point Compensated 9mm so that I can build a true "silencer", just for the reasons you listed. The Hi Point is blow back operated not locked breech, thus keeping the weight down to ensure cycling would be a non issue.

This is a "suppressor" not a true "silencer", partly because of the limitations I had to work with on length and weight, so I had to go all aluminum, so that I would not have to dick around with the recoil spring or have to buy or build a recoil booster to make it cycle properly.

The Hi points are cheap and ugly but from the torture test videos I have seen on those guns, they are damn near indestructable, I don't even think Glocks could handle the nastiness I have seen done to those guns, and with the fixed barrel, any length and weight of "can" would not hinder it's reliability, as it were...

Pagan

That goes for any of us.

It isn't too long for a normal draw.
Heck both of my EDC have 6"bbl's

Have many db's does it reduce?

I don't have a "meter" for decibels other than my ears :), but subsonic ammo in the can "dry" at 41 degrees F. it's about as loud as an average clap. Wet the can and it goes hollywood on me,lol.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't have a "meter" for decibels other than my ears :), but subsonic ammo in the can "dry" at 41 degrees F. it's about as loud as an average clap. Wet the can and it goes hollywood on me,lol.

Again, never having built one:uhoh:
The subsonic round should make more noise hitting a hard backstop and the action should be louder, than the report.

Going on what I read though:rolleyes:...the gap on a revolver if so equipped, makes a hell of a racket.:lol:

Last edited:

Pagan

Again, never having built one:uhoh:
The subsonic round should make more noise hitting a hard backstop and the action should be louder, than the report.

Going on what I read though:rolleyes:...the gap on a revolver if so equipped, makes a hell of a racket.:lol:

If i was shooting a target a little further away I may hear the bullet impact, but my target so far has been a chunk of wood at 5 yards with a "shoot n see" on it.
Revolvers are interesting though; years ago in an edition of "Assault Weapons" I believe 4th edition, there was a section on silenced revolvers. Most were crazy with shrouds built around the "wheel" , but one was REALLY cool, it was a Ruger based revolver I believe that house a .30cal FMJ bullet inside a standard revolver caliber case, but in front of the bullet was a "rubber"?, seal that would seal off the gap between "wheel" and barrel, just as the bullet and propellant gases left the case. At subsonic velocities, they were shooting .30 cal sniper rounds, giving the enemy the appearance of having been shot from long distance,lol, but they were actually very very close to the enemy. I think the weapon was made by Knight Armament, but that book was destroyed in Isabel when my house got flooded,:(

Actually I bet that on rimfire revolvers one could "make a gasket" to effectivly seal the gap while permitting rotatation. I feel another 200 hundred dollars ready to go the ATF again!!!

Last edited:

Marco

Dan Wesson .38spl and Nagant revolvers can be suppressed effectively.
The DW's cylinder gap can be closed but the cylinder will need to be hand turned, with the 7.62 Nagant it uses the unusual gas seal system that closes the cylinder barrel gap when cocked.

Decades ago, I remember there was someone that installed a neoprene ring on the bolt face of a suprressed Ruger Mark II (iirc) to quiet the bolt closing.

Another neat one is the suppressed Enfield bolt action rifle converted to 45acp.

Last edited:

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
Because CHP holders are exempt Roscoe!

Yeah, I knew that, I guess the sarcasm was too subtle.

Between VCDL's continued pushing of P4P, and their inexcusably late opposition to the Castle Doctrine bills, it's going to make it VERY difficult to send them another check come renewal time this fall...

Roscoe