• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Living with the threat of Public Menace charge and other concerns

RioDio

I wonder if there are those who really make day-to-day decisions for themselves based upon what they believe is-or-is-not / should-or-should-not-be legal, or if they really give advice based upon such opinions. If I think I have the moral right to something, I'd better be willing to bet that I can explain my rationale well enough to the police or to a judge to get me out of a jam. Otherwise, such opinions can only be relevant in the context of legislative activism - actually starting a movement and working with my district's rep to get a proposition going. That's the very place I find myself now. Unanswered questions - assumptions and unnecessary risk.

In many gun shops in WA, they sell the 'Workman' booklet ("Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities" by Dave Workman). My copy is the latest 2011 revision. In chapter 4, 'Concealed and Open Carry', the book, in no uncertain terms, claims that an individual may be arrested and 'rightfully so' for OC or even 'printing' while CC and charged with 'public menace' under RCW 9.41.270 AND have their CPL revoked! Either Workman is a liar, or I actually do 'roll the dice' each and every time I may accidentally show a portion of my holster or even weapon - let alone wear openly - that somebody may get nervous and call the police. Why should I have to live with this anxiety every day of my life - if its my bloody right?

Fallschirjmäger

RCW 9.41.270
Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:
(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;
(b) Any person who by virtue of his or her office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty;
(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;
(d) Any person making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission of a felony; or
(e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments.

Elements of the crime -
1) Mens rea
2) manner,
3) circumstances,
4) time and
5) place
Without all Five being present no violation.

One may note that it doesn't say concealed, open, or even printing. The mere carrying of one of the named instruments is sufficient.

I'd say Workman's opinion was incorrect but.... as we all know, you can be arrested for eating a ham sandwich on Sunday to the detriment of public order. Proving that's a different kettle of pie.

Last edited:

Freedom First

...Why should I have to live with this anxiety every day of my life - if its my bloody right?

If you don't, they win. By default. That is why.

So, do you worry about the legality of this? Then either convince yourself on the facts and walk that way or just surrender your Right to carry in the face of your own ignorance. This is not a personal attack, just the facts: You are undecided as to what the law says so you live in fear. Read and understand the law and walk based on what you know, not what you feel.

We Americans, not just OCers, have to stand in the face of encroaching tyranny and honestly be willing to pay the price for those Rights.

I live with anxiety on a daily basis but I do not fear the law, instead it's those who would put themselves above any law. These tyrants threaten my children's Freedom and do so willingly. And while I fear them I intend to stand against them in both the public square and in my daily life. OC is just part of that.

sudden valley gunner

I wonder if there are those who really make day-to-day decisions for themselves based upon what they believe is-or-is-not / should-or-should-not-be legal, or if they really give advice based upon such opinions. If I think I have the moral right to something, I'd better be willing to bet that I can explain my rationale well enough to the police or to a judge to get me out of a jam. Otherwise, such opinions can only be relevant in the context of legislative activism - actually starting a movement and working with my district's rep to get a proposition going. That's the very place I find myself now. Unanswered questions - assumptions and unnecessary risk.

In many gun shops in WA, they sell the 'Workman' booklet ("Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities" by Dave Workman). My copy is the latest 2011 revision. In chapter 4, 'Concealed and Open Carry', the book, in no uncertain terms, claims that an individual may be arrested and 'rightfully so' for OC or even 'printing' while CC and charged with 'public menace' under RCW 9.41.270 AND have their CPL revoked! Either Workman is a liar, or I actually do 'roll the dice' each and every time I may accidentally show a portion of my holster or even weapon - let alone wear openly - that somebody may get nervous and call the police. Why should I have to live with this anxiety every day of my life - if its my bloody right?

Workman is wrong.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Very interesting. I actually talked with Dave about his wording at the top of page 12 in his booklet yesterday at the WAC show. I too believe that it is worded poorly. Dave believes that he is NOT referring to those that OC, but just the general bubba type guy who carries with a CPL. I will continue to attempt to persuade him that the language is inaccurate as Dave refers to a 'good way to lose your CPL' in the passage. If I remember correctly only a judge can take away your CPL.

NavyMike

Cop tried to cite Workman's booklet as the law

On Friday I got pulled over for speeding near Anacortes. I had my pistol in the glovebox becuase I'd left from work and can't carry at work. I chose to hand my CPL to the cop (Yes, I know that I did not have to).

The cop asked me where my pistol was and I replied "In my glove compartment".

He said 'It's against the law to not have it on your person, when in the car, and he could write me a citation for that".
I asked him which RCW stated that it was illegal, to which he responded "It's not a written law it's a common sense law".

I asked "How could he write a citation for a non written law?"
His response was that "It was written in the [Workman] Booklet".:eek:

My reply that Workman's booklet was a fine piece of research and opinion; but was not the law, and that the Attorney General had specifically published an opinion that stated it was not illegal, earned me a road side lecture that I did not need.

The upshot was that showing my CPL did not get me out of a speeding ticket but did extend a simple traffic stop for much longer than I cared for. I won't make that mistake again!

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
On Friday I got pulled over for speeding near Anacortes. I had my pistol in the glovebox becuase I'd left from work and can't carry at work. I chose to hand my CPL to the cop (Yes, I know that I did not have to).

He said 'It's against the law to not have it on your person, when in the car, and he could write me a citation for that".
I asked him which RCW stated that it was illegal, to which he responded "It's not a written law it's a common sense law".

My reply that Workman's booklet was a fine piece of research and opinion; but was not the law, and that the Attorney General had specifically published an opinion that stated it was not illegal, earned me a road side lecture that I did not need.

The upshot was that showing my CPL did not get me out of a speeding ticket but did extend a simple traffic stop for much longer than I cared for. I won't make that mistake again!

I hope others learn your lesson too.....

Jeff Hayes

File a complaint for the lecture and the unsubstantiated threat, man I hate it when people do not know how to do their job correctly.

oneeyeross

n't

In the private sector you don't last long for messing up your job.

Ain't that the truth. In my former work life, if I made mistakes as often as many police officers do, the morgue would have been very busy.....

Weathermen and cops are the only two professions I know of where being wrong isn't a big deal....

Back on topic, a book is a book. It is only as good as the resources available...have there been cases where people have lost their CPL for OC? I believe in Vancouver there have been....

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

Why should I have to live with this anxiety every day of my life - if its my bloody right?

Because there are those who desire to revoke your bloody rights-you must stand up to them and say NO. The best way to do that is to exercise those rights, and when they try to punish you, seek recourse with education and a good lawyer.

It is a lawful activity to carry a firearm; even if you have a police encounter, it does not automatically guarantee that you will be arrested, charged and prosecuted. If you are prosecuted, you can sue and fight for your rights. Either they are worth having or they aren't. Fear does not serve you.

Fallschirjmäger

"Well why don't you go ahead and write that citation, Scout? I'd just hate to have anyone thinkin' you wasn't doin' yer job. You need a pen?"

H

Herr Heckler Koch

"Well why don't you go ahead and write that citation, Scout? I'd just hate to have anyone thinkin' you wasn't doin' yer job. You need a pen?"
Just so. A system not used cannot function properly. Make 'em document their deficiencies.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

But, Workman IS in the private sector.
His 'survival' is evidence of the failure of the subscription business model, whose customers are not sufficiently attentive or skeptical to withdraw their custom for demonstrated incompetence. Subscriptions are to private business as taxes are to public grubberment.

Mainsail

Why should I have to live with this anxiety every day of my life - if its my bloody right?

In a way you answer your own question. You’re going to feel anxiety is because you’re listening to too much chatter and misinformation. Don’t look at your open carry as a political statement or a demonstration, think of it no different than wearing a watch. The LAW recognizes “It is not unlawful for a person to responsibly walk down the street with a visible firearm…” Walk responsibly, do your business, and don’t do anything illegal. If the police decide to trouble you, remember the mantra: “Officer, am I being detained?”

The BEST tool at your disposal is knowledge. Don’t think you know the laws, KNOW the laws. Know what is required for an officer to detain you (Terry stops). Know whether he or she is blowing smoke. There is a ton of useful information here in this forum, you just have to sift out all the almost nonstop off topic nonsense. The forum used to be a different place, now it’s a lot more heat than light, but spend some time reading. Knowledge = confidence and confidence will go a long way towards ensuring you don’t have a police encounter.

Dave is good people, but he bases his opinions on the early days of concealed carry here in Washington, where it almost died on the vine because of yahoos doing stupid stuff. Don’t do stupid stuff and you’ll be OK, his opinion notwithstanding.

hermannr

RioDio:

Maybe I can help with your anxiety, OK?

I have OC and CC (mostly OC, and OC mostly without a CPL on me) on both the wet side and the dry side for over 40 years. I have had one encounter with a Chelan Co. Sheriff's deputy. It consisted of two words. Him, "Hunting" Me "Yep" That is it. And yes, I have even carried in Seattle.

I have never presented my CPL during a traffic stop, and I have never been asked for one, even when my pistol has been holstered in plain sight, (of course, I don't get stopped very often either).

I am of the opinion, if you do not act like a Nervous Nelly, no one notices. I am also of the opinion that Dave happens to wrong in his opinion as written in his book. We do not live in TX or FL, and we do not have to worry about an open carried, holstered pistol. In over 40 years if that was a real problem, don't you think I would have encountered it? I have been asked to leave my pistol outside at an occational place of business, but that really isn't a problem...I take the gun outside, and myself too, and never come back.

That said, if you act like a Nervous Nelly and are always checking/handling your holstered weapon, you will draw attention to yourself and that may include undesirable attention. You are doing nothing illegal by OCing, or CC. Act like you KNOW that as a fact, and no-one will bother you.

Oh, BTW: The most useful "book" is that little booklet that F&W put out with all the laws in it that pertain to firearms. All of 9.41, the F&W laws that pertain to firearms, and the music festival restriction. Read it, learn it, have confidence; you are not doing anything wrong.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well,,,

Very interesting. I actually talked with Dave about his wording at the top of page 12 in his booklet yesterday at the WAC show. I too believe that it is worded poorly. Dave believes that he is NOT referring to those that OC, but just the general bubba type guy who carries with a CPL. I will continue to attempt to persuade him that the language is inaccurate as Dave refers to a 'good way to lose your CPL' in the passage. If I remember correctly only a judge can take away your CPL.

I wish someone would post the excerpts from daves book so we could all understand how his advise is going wrong.

the printing warning sounds like advice for florida or texas,,, and what is "public menace"?
the "on your person" in a car has been debated and found wrong, often, right here..

Ive thought about buying it myself, but 10 bucks for a booklet, written by a OC only guy didnt seem right for me.