Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Concealed Carry and Commercial Truck

  1. #1
    Regular Member justcallmedoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    4

    Cool Concealed Carry and Commercial Truck

    Hey Everyone, new member here, nice site!! Good reading.. Now to my question..

    I have my life time permit here in Indiana and I'm wondering if anyone knows the law on whether or not I can carry my handgun, on me, while doing my deliveries, in a commercial truck.. I only deliver Indiana..

    thx,
    doc
    Last edited by justcallmedoc; 02-25-2012 at 09:00 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    There are NO Federal regulations about the matter (not interstate commerce), so it's only a matter of what Indiana law (or your employer's regulations) are.
    I doubt there is a special sub-section pertaining only to commercial drivers (that would be kinda "specific" don'cha think?)
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 02-25-2012 at 10:34 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member justcallmedoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    There are NO Federal regulations about the matter (not interstate commerce), so it's only a matter of what Indiana law (or your employer's regulations) are.
    I doubt there is a special sub-section pertaining only to commercial drivers (that would be kinda "specific" don'cha think?)
    I didn't think there were Federal regulations from what I've found.. Guess I'm more interested in State laws and my next question, can Employer rules trump State law and my right to carry?..

  4. #4
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Is Indiana an 'employment at will' or a 'right to work' state?
    If it's an 'employment at will' state then they can fire you because wore a red shirt to work on a Friday, or because you didn't shave close enough that day.
    (On the other hand, you can freely walk away from them if you don't like the way the boss' breath smells or because of his poor taste in baseball teams so that all sort'a works out.)

    Interesting, doing a web-search for Indiana, Firearms, Work returns the following result which could be very helpful
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 02-25-2012 at 11:36 PM.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran ATM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by justcallmedoc View Post
    I didn't think there were Federal regulations from what I've found.. Guess I'm more interested in State laws and my next question, can Employer rules trump State law and my right to carry?..
    Employer rules cannot make it a crime for you to carry. With your LTCH, you can legally carry anywhere not specifically prohibited by law.

    They can, however, make it a condition of your employment. You have the right to carry on the job and they have the right to fire you for it if they catch you.

  6. #6
    Regular Member rscottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ashland, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    613

    There is no Federal Law Against Truck Drivers having a Firearm

    The whole truck drivers cannot carry firearms is a myth. There are no Federal Laws against it. Of course they have to abide by each states laws, which can be tricky but people with concealed carry permits have to do that all the time too.

    I think the myth is strengthened by most carriers that prohibit their drivers from having a firearm in the vehicle. This of course is a rule and not a law. If you get caught, you probably will lose your job.

    But, it is much easier to get another job than it is to get out of the morgue.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Valhalla, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    351
    Like they said, your good to carry, legally. Company policy is different. Also becarefull where you deliver, esp if you open carry.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    yorktown, in
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by justcallmedoc View Post
    Hey Everyone, new member here, nice site!! Good reading.. Now to my question..

    I have my life time permit here in Indiana and I'm wondering if anyone knows the law on whether or not I can carry my handgun, on me, while doing my deliveries, in a commercial truck.. I only deliver Indiana..

    thx,
    doc
    There used to be a law in the FMCSA for all cmv drivers restricting any firearms in the cab. However, i searched the fmcsa site after looking through my manual and found that the law was tossed out June 1998. You need to have your handgun permit on you at all times and it does not permit you to enter shippers/ cons property if they restrict firearms on property (common sense of course) glad to see this law is no longer in effect. I run indy to cali every week and il and ca are my only concerns but good to know wont have any prob otherwise. Happy motoring!!!

  9. #9
    Regular Member scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by rscottie View Post
    The whole truck drivers cannot carry firearms is a myth. There are no Federal Laws against it. Of course they have to abide by each states laws, which can be tricky but people with concealed carry permits have to do that all the time too.

    I think the myth is strengthened by most carriers that prohibit their drivers from having a firearm in the vehicle. This of course is a rule and not a law. If you get caught, you probably will lose your job.

    But, it is much easier to get another job than it is to get out of the morgue.
    I'm not so sure about the myth being strengthened by most carriers prohibiting drivers from having firearms. If it was illegal to have the firearm in a commercial vehicle a company rule forbidding them would be redundant. If anything those company rules strengthen the fact that it is a myth.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •