• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry and Commercial Truck

justcallmedoc

Hey Everyone, new member here, nice site!! Good reading.. Now to my question..

I have my life time permit here in Indiana and I'm wondering if anyone knows the law on whether or not I can carry my handgun, on me, while doing my deliveries, in a commercial truck.. I only deliver Indiana..

thx,
doc

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

There are NO Federal regulations about the matter (not interstate commerce), so it's only a matter of what Indiana law (or your employer's regulations) are.
I doubt there is a special sub-section pertaining only to commercial drivers (that would be kinda "specific" don'cha think?)

Last edited:

justcallmedoc

There are NO Federal regulations about the matter (not interstate commerce), so it's only a matter of what Indiana law (or your employer's regulations) are.
I doubt there is a special sub-section pertaining only to commercial drivers (that would be kinda "specific" don'cha think?)

I didn't think there were Federal regulations from what I've found.. Guess I'm more interested in State laws and my next question, can Employer rules trump State law and my right to carry?..

Fallschirjmäger

Is Indiana an 'employment at will' or a 'right to work' state?
If it's an 'employment at will' state then they can fire you because wore a red shirt to work on a Friday, or because you didn't shave close enough that day.
(On the other hand, you can freely walk away from them if you don't like the way the boss' breath smells or because of his poor taste in baseball teams so that all sort'a works out.)

Interesting, doing a web-search for Indiana, Firearms, Work returns the following result which could be very helpful

Last edited:

ATM

Campaign Veteran
I didn't think there were Federal regulations from what I've found.. Guess I'm more interested in State laws and my next question, can Employer rules trump State law and my right to carry?..

Employer rules cannot make it a crime for you to carry. With your LTCH, you can legally carry anywhere not specifically prohibited by law.

They can, however, make it a condition of your employment. You have the right to carry on the job and they have the right to fire you for it if they catch you.

rscottie

There is no Federal Law Against Truck Drivers having a Firearm

The whole truck drivers cannot carry firearms is a myth. There are no Federal Laws against it. Of course they have to abide by each states laws, which can be tricky but people with concealed carry permits have to do that all the time too.

I think the myth is strengthened by most carriers that prohibit their drivers from having a firearm in the vehicle. This of course is a rule and not a law. If you get caught, you probably will lose your job.

But, it is much easier to get another job than it is to get out of the morgue.

hogeaterf6

Like they said, your good to carry, legally. Company policy is different. Also becarefull where you deliver, esp if you open carry.

adamho

Hey Everyone, new member here, nice site!! Good reading.. Now to my question..

I have my life time permit here in Indiana and I'm wondering if anyone knows the law on whether or not I can carry my handgun, on me, while doing my deliveries, in a commercial truck.. I only deliver Indiana..

thx,
doc

There used to be a law in the FMCSA for all cmv drivers restricting any firearms in the cab. However, i searched the fmcsa site after looking through my manual and found that the law was tossed out June 1998. You need to have your handgun permit on you at all times and it does not permit you to enter shippers/ cons property if they restrict firearms on property (common sense of course) glad to see this law is no longer in effect. I run indy to cali every week and il and ca are my only concerns but good to know wont have any prob otherwise. Happy motoring!!!

scouser

The whole truck drivers cannot carry firearms is a myth. There are no Federal Laws against it. Of course they have to abide by each states laws, which can be tricky but people with concealed carry permits have to do that all the time too.

I think the myth is strengthened by most carriers that prohibit their drivers from having a firearm in the vehicle. This of course is a rule and not a law. If you get caught, you probably will lose your job.

But, it is much easier to get another job than it is to get out of the morgue.

I'm not so sure about the myth being strengthened by most carriers prohibiting drivers from having firearms. If it was illegal to have the firearm in a commercial vehicle a company rule forbidding them would be redundant. If anything those company rules strengthen the fact that it is a myth.