Thread: Which is the most compact .44 mag available?

TWG2A

Which is the most compact .44 mag available?

I'm interested in knowing which .44 mag is most compact.... Have .45 now, considered Kahr p9, but want to know if there's a .44 that is as compact as the Kahr.

Thanks for your input!

A few different companies made these:
    Last edited by MAC702; 02-26-2012 at 12:30 AM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

But this may be more like what you were thinking: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

The 2.5" S&W M329 Alaska Backpacker, a very obvious ploy on Ruger's "Alaskan."

But with the Scandium-alloy frame it's a helluva lot lighter. While it has a stainless cylinder, as opposed to the Titanium in the standard Model 329's, it will still not be as strong as Ruger's thicker cylinder.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Founder's Club Member
    Do the words compact and .44 Magnum really go together?

Aren't they a little like ice-cream and non-fattening?

Beer and non-alcholic?

JDAM and discreet?

Banana-made ice cream and coconut milk ice cream are good for you :P
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

Quote Originally Posted by Verd View Post
    Banana-made ice cream and coconut milk ice cream are good for you :P
    Sure, if you dont mind having the runs for the next 3 days..

TWG2A
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    But this may be more like what you were thinking: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

The 2.5" S&W M329 Alaska Backpacker, a very obvious ploy on Ruger's "Alaskan."

But with the Scandium-alloy frame it's a helluva lot lighter. While it has a stainless cylinder, as opposed to the Titanium in the standard Model 329's, it will still not be as strong as Ruger's thicker cylinder.
    Oooh! Thank You, MAC702 That's a nice trail firearm. Nice, compact grip good for my small hand. Looks like they run around $800 - $1000 ea. Here's what I learn from one of the ads:

Description: S&W M329 ALASKA BCKPCK 44M 2.5 Manufacturer: Smith & Wesson Model #: Model 329 Alaska Backpacker IV Talo Exclusive Model: 329PD Caliber: .44MAG/.44SP Capacity: 6 Rounds Action: Single/Double Action Barrel Length: 2 1/2" Front Sight: Patridge Gold Bead Rear Sight: Adjustable Black V-Notch Blade Overall Length: 7 3/4" Weight Empty: 29.7 oz. Grip: Synthetic Frame Material: Scandium Alloy Cylinder Material: Stainless Steel Finish: Two-Tone

For hiking in the Montana mountains, this looks like perfectly adequate protection, for certain. Thanks for your imput.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44cals&w.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	8028  

That seems like a gun that you would want to put 100rds through it every time you take it out. Easy on the wallet and the wrist. I guess it would do great at what it is designed for.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by TWG2A View Post
    I'm interested in knowing which .44 mag is most compact.... Have .45 now, considered Kahr p9, but want to know if there's a .44 that is as compact as the Kahr.

Thanks for your input!
    Kahr makes 45acp's in the P, CW and PM series firearms as well as few other , iirc.

Also an alternative to a compact 44mag is a compact 41mag.
    Taurus 415 2.5"bbl, 41mag non ported version, 5rds, they're discontinued but can easily be found on the used market for about ($450ish).
    Last edited by Marco; 02-27-2012 at 10:14 AM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

I have a 5 inch 629 that I take backpacking. Weight and size wise it is not ideal. Its about 45 oz, Honestly the recoil of the .44 mag with some decent hunting rounds is not to be discounted.

If you have never fired a .44 before it might be worth while to try it out. That scandi framed S&W at 29 oz is gunna kick like a mule with any real large animal stopping rounds. Just my $.02

Personally I like the versatility of the longer barrel and extra weight. I ended up trading in my 357 ultra lite SW becuase it was just unpleasant to train with, personally after that experience for myself at least, I would be hesitant to pick up a light framed small grip magnum.

If I was to pick up something smaller it would probably be the Ruger Alaskan, or a non scandi framed Smith, its ~40 oz even in the 2.5 inch barrel length.

Even with the heavier 5 inch 45oz Smith it took me a while to adjust to the recoil and become competent and feel secure carrying the weapon.

Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Xulld View Post
    I have a 5 inch 629 that I take backpacking. Weight and size wise it is not ideal. Its about 45 oz, Honestly the recoil of the .44 mag with some decent hunting rounds is not to be discounted.

If you have never fired a .44 before it might be worth while to try it out. That scandi framed S&W at 29 oz is gunna kick like a mule with any real large animal stopping rounds. Just my $.02

Personally I like the versatility of the longer barrel and extra weight. I ended up trading in my 357 ultra lite SW becuase it was just unpleasant to train with, personally after that experience for myself at least, I would be hesitant to pick up a light framed small grip magnum.

If I was to pick up something smaller it would probably be the Ruger Alaskan, or a non scandi framed Smith, its ~40 oz even in the 2.5 inch barrel length.

Even with the heavier 5 inch 45oz Smith it took me a while to adjust to the recoil and become competent and feel secure carrying the weapon.

Your mileage may vary.
    Agreed, but these guns aren't meant to be shot. They're meant to be carried.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

TWG2A
    Thanks guys. Your input is really appreciated. I always know exactly where to turn when I need expert advice on all things firearms!

I currently carry a .45, and the recoil doesn't bother me at all. It's the grip size on the Glock36 that is just uncomfortable for my very petite hand. Living in Montana, and preparing to move even further into the woods makes me want to get something bigger to carry, and since I'm a small person I want the most compact and comfortable firearm I can carry while out gardening, hiking, etc. There's a lot of wildlife where I'm going and I want something that will take only one shot to put down anything that might want a snack.

What might I consider that is bigger than a .45 and less recoil than a .44mag and with a small grip? Something that will put a bear, elk or lion down with one shot?
    Last edited by TWG2A; 02-29-2012 at 07:48 PM.

TWG2A
    p.s.... I will be testing the S&W Alaska this weekend at the local range. Looking forward to it! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Agreed, but these guns aren't meant to be shot. They're meant to be carried.
    You know I use to think that way. Now I figure if you cant shoot the gun you carry, why carry? Some will say, well at point blank range you cant miss, but I find limiting the circumstances you will use it doesn't make a lot of sense when you cant know what you will be facing a head of time.
    More and more I am focusing on shot placement over Ft/lbs. I adore the .44, but when I started shooting competitively I realized how important control was when you cant always dictate your environmental conditions like you can at the range.

p.s.... I will be testing the S&W Alaska this weekend at the local range. Looking forward to it! Thanks!
    If you can try a couple different kinds of ammo, and please report back your experiences, as I said I LOVE .44's. Man you are making me want another one!

.44mag and with a small grip? Something that will put a bear, elk or lion down with one shot?
    I really cant think of anything more versatile than a .44 in that range of power honestly. A wide range of loads exist, good hard cast ammo from buffalo bore should be able to put down anything you want, while using .44 special is just a sweet way to practice trigger control and sight alignment. BTW did I mention I love .44's lol
    Last edited by Xulld; 03-01-2012 at 06:38 PM.

well,,,

Thanks for your input!
    I have noticed you havent asked about COST of guns, but it is a factor...

Please concider the Taurus Raging Bull.
    They are inexpensive.
    they can shoot 410 shot shells,,, good for snakes and other little critters...
    they can shoot 45 long colt, cowboy soft loads, good for practice.....
    they can shoot 45 long colt full power,, good for most bad 2 or 4 legged problems...
    they can shoot 454 CASAUL... like a 44 MAGNUM!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    I have noticed you havent asked about COST of guns, but it is a factor...

Please concider the Taurus Raging Bull.
    They are inexpensive.
    they can shoot 410 shot shells,,, good for snakes and other little critters...
    they can shoot 45 long colt, cowboy soft loads, good for practice.....
    they can shoot 45 long colt full power,, good for most bad 2 or 4 legged problems...
    they can shoot 454 CASAUL... like a 44 MAGNUM!!!
    Raging Judge. Raging Bull is .44 or .454, raging judge shoots the shot shells.

Also the cost of the gun should be very little as a deciding factor. I would rather have a gun that goes bang every time, fits my needs, fits my hands and fits my preferences before I would get a gun just because it was cheap. I am not saying that expensive is always better but you'll notice that you pay for the reputation. Why are better guns (usually custom) more expensive? Because the manufacturer has found that we are willing to pay more for a better gun. Taurus can't do the same because people usually buy them just because they're cheap, not because they're better guns. I am also not saying they are junk, as I have only shot one.

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Raging Judge. Raging Bull is .44 or .454, raging judge shoots the shot shells.

Also the cost of the gun should be very little as a deciding factor. I would rather have a gun that goes bang every time, fits my needs, fits my hands and fits my preferences before I would get a gun just because it was cheap. I am not saying that expensive is always better but you'll notice that you pay for the reputation. Why are better guns (usually custom) more expensive? Because the manufacturer has found that we are willing to pay more for a better gun. Taurus can't do the same because people usually buy them just because they're cheap, not because they're better guns. I am also not saying they are junk, as I have only shot one.
    I also have no real experience with a Taurus, but in the store comparing the fit, finish, and feel of the three brands I was choosing between I picked the Smith. For me money was not a factor at all. I have owned a couple of Ruger's and a couple of Smiths over the years and find both to be very good guns with the smith having a nicer trigger and better fit and finish but the Ruger's were very good pistols. In fact I regret selling my GP100. Doh!

Activist Member
    Just an input, but a friend of mine in Mountain Home, Idaho carries a S&W 500 Magnum when he goes on camping trips lol!
    Nothing better than a Glock.........except maybe another Glock!

Quote Originally Posted by DWCook View Post
    Just an input, but a friend of mine in Mountain Home, Idaho carries a S&W 500 Magnum when he goes on camping trips lol!
    Boy I bet that weighs down the ole britches a bit!