• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger P91DC question

d dubya

Hi;
New to the forums here. Not new to guns, but I'm finding a renewed interest and love for them.

I recently bought a used Ruger P91DC in .40 caliber. It seems to be a solid gun, and I have had no problems with it, but a gun dealer in my area told me that the Ruger P90 series was one of the most unreliable pistol lines ever produced, and that they constantly break. I have a history with Ruger revolvers and rifles, and found them to deliver stellar performance, but this is my first Ruger semi-auto. I don't know if the aforementioned dealer has an axe to grind with Ruger, but I know I can't take one man's opinion as gospel.

If any of you have P91 experiences to share, whether good or bad, I would love to hear them.

Thanks,
Dave

j4l

I havent actually owned any P-90-series pistols, myself, but have fired many of those owned by friends.
Those friends swear by them, owned them for years, and seemed to have had little to no real issues with them.
The ones I've tried out seemed very solid.

Try not to take too serious a lot of these "unreliable" claims from folks without their having some 1st-hand, substantiated experience or proof of it-regardless of make/brand, etc. And keep in mind that because one guy experiences a particular issue with one item or another, doesnt mean the entire brand/make/model is somehow flawed, or defective.
Also keep in mind that, like with anything else, 9 out of 10 issues are the result of Operator Headspace..
ever notice how many warning notices are stamped into the barrels, frames, etc. of most firearms?
How the 1st 2/3rds or so of every owner's manual is almost entirely warnings, and safety disclaimers?
Part of that is our over-litigated/ambulance-chasing mentality these days, but even that is based on something.

That something being that there are plenty of potential Darwin Awardees out there, who probably shouldnt be handling anything more dangerous to themselves (and others) than a feather pillow...

Butch00

Ruger P-90 series are tough pistols.
I have a P-85 9mm, P-89 9mm, P-91 40 cal, P-94 40 cal, and at one time
had a P-90 45 cal, never had a problem at all.
If you do break it chances are ruger would fix it for nothing.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...a gun dealer in my area told me that the Ruger P90 series was one of the most unreliable pistol lines ever produced, and that they constantly break. ...

Did he tell you this before or after you bought one?
Did he have one in stock?

P90's have a stellar reputation in both reliability and, surprisingly, in accuracy.