Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: OT - Does Law Enforcement know you have a CWP in a traffic stop?

  1. #1
    Regular Member HeesBonafide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    152

    OT - Does Law Enforcement know you have a CWP in a traffic stop?

    I was wondering if anyone would by chance definitively know if police are made aware that you/I have a CWP in a traffic stop situation by either license plate and/or driver's license? Does anyone know whether this information comes up before they ever get to the car if they look up my license plate? Or does this information come up with my they run a check on my Driver's license? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    100

    In Utah

    In Utah a firearms permit shows on your license when I run it in th computer. It does not show on a registration inquiry.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,667
    Quote Originally Posted by stargateranch View Post
    In Utah a firearms permit shows on your license when I run it in th computer. It does not show on a registration inquiry.
    Well, since we are in Washington and this is a Washington forum...who cares.

    I am always curious about why people ask this question. Are LE looking for things that are legal when they are pulling someone over or illegal. Something tells me that they are looking for things that are illegal. So why would they look for a legal person/CPL/firearm? It makes no sense to me. I have spoken with some LEO friends of mine and they have stated that they were taught (at the WA state academy presumably) to treat all traffic stops as though there is a firearm in the vehicle or on the person of the driver/passenger.

    Having been pulled over various times, my firearm has never been an issue except one time. That time I had it laying on the passenger seat in plain view. The WSP officer came up on the passenger side and saw it. He asked if it was loaded and if I always carried when I was driving. I stated yes and he said he didn't blame me. He returned a few minutes later and gave me a warning and told me to be safe and have a nice day.
    Live Free or Die!

  4. #4
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Well, since we are in Washington and this is a Washington forum...who cares..
    I think we can afford to be a little nicer.
    Yes, it's Washington forum, and the poster is from Washington, and was [i]probably[i/] asking only in reference to Washington although such was not stated. But was there any actual harm do to anyone by someone clarifying that each state can be remarkably different?

    I've seen on this very forum someone categorically state that if your plate is run it will return a report of whether or not the registered owner has a permit. And as we all know, that just isn't true, since not all states keep track of such, not all states link license plates/registrations with permits, and some states don't even have a computerized or state-wide database of permits.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    I think we can afford to be a little nicer.
    Yes, it's Washington forum, and the poster is from Washington, and was probably asking only in reference to Washington although such was not stated. But was there any actual harm do to anyone by someone clarifying that each state can be remarkably different?

    I've seen on this very forum someone categorically state that if your plate is run it will return a report of whether or not the registered owner has a permit. And as we all know, that just isn't true, since not all states keep track of such, not all states link license plates/registrations with permits, and some states don't even have a computerized or state-wide database of permits.
    Nope, Hesbonafide is from Washington (Bellingham if memory serves me correct), posted the question in the appropriate Washington forum and then was given the answer by another Washington resident (Navy) with appropriate cite's. Then some random person posts about another state, without any cite whatsoever. Again, who cares.... perhaps 50 different people should post each individual state's requirements? Oh wait, we have general forums for that. I was very nice, I simply asked who cares? Apparently you do (from Georgia posting in the Washington forum)!

    By the way, Utah does not even border Washington State. I would of been "nicer" i.e. more understanding had it been about Oregon or Idaho since many residents live near those two states. Utah or Georgia not so much.....
    Live Free or Die!

  6. #6
    Regular Member 911Grunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pierce County, WA
    Posts
    46
    When an officer does a traffic stop, they usually give the license plate and that will show the registered owner(s) drivers license numbers only. When the run the people inside the returns we get are for any warrants, restraining orders, missing persons, department of corrections information etc. If the officer request we can make a separate inquiry for a concealed weapons permit, that permit number is the same as your drivers license number. What the permit will show is your physical descriptions (just like on your drivers license) if you are US citizen, issue date and agency, expiration date and any weapons purchased while you had your permit (this information is no longer updated - I don't know the specifics on it sorry ). I know some states, TN comes to mind that does have the flag on the DOL about the person having a weapons permit. I hope this help.

  7. #7
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Do you even possess a CPL? Look at it, and tell me if the permit is the same as the driver's license number. It's not. None of them are in Washington.
    Ditto on the permit number is different then the CPL License Number though our Drivers License Number is listed on the CPL.
    Last edited by BigDave; 02-26-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pasco, WA, ,
    Posts
    489
    I think it depends on what departments are accessing different databases.

    From what I understand, some will tell the inquiring (officer) based on your Washington Drivers License # if you have an active CHL. Other departments, who don't want to use some databases, won't have the same access to information.

    *The access to find your CHL information won't happen on a routine stop.* It would happen if there were reason to "dig deeper" during the stop, i.e. carrying a weapon and you cannot find your permit. There would possibly be an inquiry into the database to verify you are licensed to carry.*
    Last edited by Stretch; 02-26-2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Added additional info.

  9. #9
    Regular Member unknownsailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bremerton, WA
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by 911Grunt View Post
    ...and any weapons purchased while you had your permit (this information is no longer updated - I don't know the specifics on it sorry ).
    Can someone expound on this? I have not heard of this before.

  10. #10
    Regular Member ARADCOM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW Washington, Washington, USA
    Posts
    317

    Thumbs up Thanks for the info

    Quote Originally Posted by stargateranch View Post
    In Utah a firearms permit shows on your license when I run it in th computer. It does not show on a registration inquiry.
    I'm always interested in how other places handle things, kind of gives you a perspective on how good or bad you have it in your home state.

    Don't mind the guys with the negative comments, some people are just dicks. And if you want to comment on a post on this forum, have at it, some people will take it for what it's worth.

  11. #11
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by 911Grunt View Post
    When an officer does a traffic stop, they usually give the license plate and that will show the registered owner(s) drivers license numbers only. When the run the people inside the returns we get are for any warrants, restraining orders, missing persons, department of corrections information etc. If the officer request we can make a separate inquiry for a concealed weapons permit, that permit number is the same as your drivers license number. What the permit will show is your physical descriptions (just like on your drivers license) if you are US citizen, issue date and agency, expiration date and any weapons purchased while you had your permit (this information is no longer updated - I don't know the specifics on it sorry ). I know some states, TN comes to mind that does have the flag on the DOL about the person having a weapons permit. I hope this help.
    Does this cover MDT's also? Or just your dispatch center?

    Previously, LEO's have responded here that they can receive CPL info on their MDT inquiries along with license status, warrants, etc without calling dispatch.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  12. #12
    Regular Member jt59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central South Sound
    Posts
    1,025

    stargateranch

    Quote Originally Posted by ARADCOM View Post
    I'm always interested in how other places handle things, kind of gives you a perspective on how good or bad you have it in your home state.

    Don't mind the guys with the negative comments, some people are just dicks. And if you want to comment on a post on this forum, have at it, some people will take it for what it's worth.
    This is a fellow that is a LEO in Utah, and has started a discussion thread that is quite interesting with the group over there. I think he is exploring other threads and offering comment on areas that interest him enough to well, comment.

    His comment wasn't particulary pertinent to the original question, but for those of us who travel in multiple states, understanding who knows what and when do they know it, is as relative to knowing the difference of requirements of immediate officer notification in WA vs say, Michigan, when on a traffic stop you can get into a fair bit of turbulence if you don't advise the officer right away (that your carrying and have a CPL).

    He is taking a fair bit of abuse on his thread on the Utah site, and is taking it all in stride and none of it personally...good on him.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

  13. #13
    Regular Member 911Grunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pierce County, WA
    Posts
    46

    i was in error

    Yes the CPL number on your card is different from your driver’s license number, but the CPL can be brought up by running the DOL number. And the state still registers what handguns you purchased when using the CPL (mine from last year recently showed up).

    As for the officers using the MDT, yes they can bring up the information also since its tied into the state data base, some agencies may have it set up to automatically to run the DOL number listed vehicle license plates for the drivers license and permit information; but in our center we have to do them as separate inquires.

    Again, sorry for the misinformation, I hope this helps clear things up

  14. #14
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by 911Grunt View Post

    Again, sorry for the misinformation, I hope this helps clear things up
    Kudo's for not taking a "I work for the Government" position therefore implying "I know everything". That sets you apart from lots of Police Officers out there
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Edge of the woods
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by 911Grunt View Post
    Yes the CPL number on your card is different from your driver’s license number, but the CPL can be brought up by running the DOL number. And the state still registers what handguns you purchased when using the CPL (mine from last year recently showed up).
    Are you saying that the state maintains a database of what firearms someone owns if they use the CPL to purchase a firearm? How exactly is that data collected?

  16. #16
    Regular Member 911Grunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pierce County, WA
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by dadada View Post
    Are you saying that the state maintains a database of what firearms someone owns if they use the CPL to purchase a firearm? How exactly is that data collected?
    that seems to be correct, I would guess they getting from the purchase forms from the store. If someone who works at a gun store can provide follow up?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5
    I asked my sergeant this question, as he is an Oly PO. He replied that on MOST licence plates, yes, it is displayed with the rest of the info. I am waiting on what plates are an exception and if the rest of the state is the same way. I will post when I get it.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5
    "No exceptions, just some older plates won't have the info. There is no difference between any agency in the state that has MCT's in the car. I can run and find out lots about the registered owners of a car before I stop it either from my computer, or from dispatch."

    Straight from the mouth of a Oly PO.

    Hope this clears the issue up.

  19. #19
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTGTO View Post
    "No exceptions, just some older plates won't have the info. There is no difference between any agency in the state that has MCT's in the car. I can run and find out lots about the registered owners of a car before I stop it either from my computer, or from dispatch."

    Straight from the mouth of a Oly PO.

    Hope this clears the issue up.
    I even saw my long guns on a deputies computer, some refuse to believe this, but I have heard similar from others.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  20. #20
    Regular Member HeesBonafide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    152

    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by SGTGTO View Post
    "No exceptions, just some older plates won't have the info. There is no difference between any agency in the state that has MCT's in the car. I can run and find out lots about the registered owners of a car before I stop it either from my computer, or from dispatch."

    Straight from the mouth of a Oly PO.

    Hope this clears the issue up.
    This Does! I appreciate it VERY much!

    If you are wondering why I am asking, PM me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •