Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 67

Thread: CCW Permit Issued in AZ not Valid in NV For NV Resident

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    8

    CCW Permit Issued in AZ not Valid in NV For NV Resident

    While down in AZ I took a CCW Class and applied for a AZ CCW Permit. The instructor told us that the CCW permit was good for 38 States (including NV). However, in reading the NV Statutes for Concealed Carry in NV it states that NV recognizes CCW permits from a lot of other States but "Nevada Residents MUST HAVE A NEVADA CCW PERMIT".
    I called and spoke with the CCW Instructor and he said he was unaware of this law. It now appears I will have to take a NV sanctioned CCW class to meet NV requirements.

    A lot of people are driving down to AZ to take the same class I did and they are unaware they have to have a NV CCW permit.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    That is covered by statute:

    NRS 202.3688 Circumstances in which holder of permit issued by another state may carry concealed firearm in this State; holder of permit issued by another state subject to same restrictions and requirements as holder of permit issued in this State.

    1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, a person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may carry a concealed firearm in this State in accordance with the requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.

    2. A person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may not carry a concealed firearm in this State if the person:

    (a) Becomes a resident of this State; and

    (b) Has not been issued a permit from the sheriff of the county in which he or she resides within 60 days after becoming a resident of this State.

    3. A person who carries a concealed firearm pursuant to this section is subject to the same legal restrictions and requirements imposed upon a person who has been issued a permit by a sheriff in this State.

    (Added to NRS by 2007, 3150)
    http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-2...#NRS202Sec3688

    So, if you are a resident of NV, it appears that (a) and (b) conditions have been met, and a NV permit will be required, issued by the sheriff of the county in which you reside.

    If NV residents are unaware that they need a NV permit, they may want to review the applicable statutes.
    Last edited by wrightme; 02-26-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    8

    CCW Permit Issued in AZ not Valid in NV For NV Resident

    Here is the Statute I am referring to:

    Anyone concealing a firearm without a concealed firearm permit recognized by Nevada is guilty of a category C felony. Per NRS 202.3688, NRS 202.3689, and the Department of Public Safety list, Nevada recognizes permits from AK, AR, AZ, KS, KY, LA, MI, MO, NE, NM, NC, OH, TN, RI, and WV. However, Nevada residents must have Nevada permits. Per NRS 202.3667, permit holders must carry the permit and proper identification when carrying a concealed firearm. Also, upon request by a police officer the permit and identification must be presented. The penalty for violation of NRS 202.3667 is a civil penalty of $25.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine 58 View Post
    Here is the Statute I am referring to:

    Anyone concealing a firearm without a concealed firearm permit recognized by Nevada is guilty of a category C felony. Per NRS 202.3688, NRS 202.3689, and the Department of Public Safety list, Nevada recognizes permits from AK, AR, AZ, KS, KY, LA, MI, MO, NE, NM, NC, OH, TN, RI, and WV. However, Nevada residents must have Nevada permits. Per NRS 202.3667, permit holders must carry the permit and proper identification when carrying a concealed firearm. Also, upon request by a police officer the permit and identification must be presented. The penalty for violation of NRS 202.3667 is a civil penalty of $25.
    Um, notice that I cited 202.3688. What is the text you posted?
    Last edited by wrightme; 02-26-2012 at 08:27 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    8

    CCW Permit Issued in AZ not Valid in NV For NV Resident

    "Um, notice that I cited 202.3688. What is the text you posted? Concealed Weapons"



    NRS 202.350 is the law concerning concealed weapons.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine 58 View Post
    "Um, notice that I cited 202.3688. What is the text you posted? Concealed Weapons"



    NRS 202.350 is the law concerning concealed weapons.
    Huh?


    202.3688 is a portion of the applicable code area. What is it you are attempting to say?

    http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html
    202 covers a lot of ground.
    202.350 makes it illegal to conceal a firearm.

    202.3653 - 202.369 is the nuts and bolts of the permit system.

    202.3688 defines the part where a resident will need to have a resident permit from Nevada.
    Last edited by wrightme; 02-26-2012 at 08:53 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    8
    "Huh?


    202.3688 is a portion of the applicable code area. What is it you are attempting to say?"



    What I am trying to say is: When I talked to the AZ CCW NRA Instructor today he was unaware that Nevada Residents have to have a "Nevada CCW Permit" even if they have an AZ CCW Permit. And.... that the AZ Permit does NOT allow Nevada residents to CCW in NV. He told me that he just signed up 15 people from Las Vegas to attend his CCW class in AZ. He is just now looking into what I told him. A whole lot of NV people are unaware of the Statute you quoted and are under the mistaken idea that the AZ CCW Permit is also valid in Nevada even though they are NV Residents. It is my belief that this is a very good Forum to let anyone know what NV Law is, before they go to another state to get a CCW Permit only to find out it won't do them any good in NV. It will save them time and money in the long run. And.....maybe help them understand the law before they get stopped for a traffic violation and find out too late their CCW Permit is no good in NV.

    I might add that I had to do a lot of looking before I found


    http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-2...#NRS202Sec3667

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    The main oddity I see is this. Why would ANY Nevada resident ask a CCW instructor from another state for information regarding Nevada CCW statutes?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    The main oddity I see is this. Why would ANY Nevada resident ask a CCW instructor from another state for information regarding Nevada CCW statutes?
    Hey Look.........I am new to this Forum and I really did not expect this kind of reception. And I am not liking it so far.

    But for YOUR information I did NOT ask the AZ CCW instructor for information about NV Statutes. He ADVERTISED the CCW Permit was valid for us in NV.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine 58 View Post
    Hey Look.........I am new to this Forum and I really did not expect this kind of reception. And I am not liking it so far.

    But for YOUR information I did NOT ask the AZ CCW instructor for information about NV Statutes. He ADVERTISED the CCW Permit was valid for us in NV.
    ???


    You asked a question, I located the statute that answered it, and through it all, I have found it virtually impossible to determine what is actually fact from your posts. If you take that as something to not like, I did not mean for it to be that way.

    If the AZ CCW instructor is advertising courses to NV residents as allowing them to CC in Nevada, as near as I can tell, the statute states without question the exact opposite. And, I find it quite troubling that a CCW instructor from Arizona even presents that false information in the first place. It would make me suspect other information he presents as well.
    Last edited by wrightme; 02-26-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine 58 View Post
    "What I am trying to say is: When I talked to the AZ CCW NRA Instructor today he was unaware that Nevada Residents have to have a "Nevada CCW Permit" even if they have an AZ CCW Permit. And.... that the AZ Permit does NOT allow Nevada residents to CCW in NV. He told me that he just signed up 15 people from Las Vegas to attend his CCW class in AZ. He is just now looking into what I told him. A whole lot of NV people are unaware of the Statute you quoted and are under the mistaken idea that the AZ CCW Permit is also valid in Nevada even though they are NV Residents. It is my belief that this is a very good Forum to let anyone know what NV Law is, before they go to another state to get a CCW Permit only to find out it won't do them any good in NV. It will save them time and money in the long run. And.....maybe help them understand the law before they get stopped for a traffic violation and find out too late their CCW Permit is no good in NV.

    I might add that I had to do a lot of looking before I found


    http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-2...#NRS202Sec3667
    That portion I placed in bold is specifically what I find troubling. Now, as to if this forum is a good source for CCW law, only as a secondary function, since many members here are well-versed in CC law, though the main subject for these forum areas is Open carry. And frankly, there are many other places to find the same information, and even in this instance, it would be entirely valid to stop in at the Sheriff's office in the county of residence and ask.

    To reiterate, even though there are many knowledgeable persons here and in other web forums, the BEST source of authoritative information is the Nevada Revised Statutes. And, after attempting to find information in statutes from other states, I actually find the Nevada Law Library to be quite easy to use and navigate.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine 58 View Post
    A lot of people are driving down to AZ to take the same class I did and they are unaware they have to have a NV CCW permit.
    How did those 'a lot of people' find out about this instructor's course?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  13. #13
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Marine 58...welcome to the Forum. I don't know if there are any states that would benefit you by having the AZ permit. Normally people (NV Residents) seem to get the NV and Utah to cover the bases. You will find some knowledgeable folks on here if you have any questions.

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  14. #14
    28kfps
    Guest
    Marine 58 welcome to the Forum. I believe your intent here was to share; some info that may be unknown to other interested gun owners.
    A good catch on your part and as you can see you were correct and backed up by posted NRS. Do not take the replies personal. Wrightme has a good question not meant to send you away. One of the ways many on OC.org ensure accurate information is to come back with questions such as wrightme did.
    We all have been nailed by such questions from any number of posters, one way to separate the storytellers and BSers from the facts.
    Last edited by 28kfps; 02-27-2012 at 12:50 AM.

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Agreed, welcome!

    I wish NV permits were not so expensive and strict, but it is correct that NV residents will have to get a NV permit to carry concealed here.

    I'll bet if a lot more people OC'd, they'd ease up the CCW rules a lot.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sparks
    Posts
    8
    Thank You for the Welcome. And YES I was posting for information only. I did not have a question.

    Maybe I should clarify a couple of things:
    1. I am Retired and although I own a home in Sparks, NV. I travel quite a lot to other States as far as the east coast.

    2. My wife and I were preparing to take the 8 hr CCW class in Reno when we took a Winter break in the motorhome in Quartzite, AZ (RV winter meca). While there I encountered a business advertising a 3 hour (Non-shooting) CCW Permits that are good in 38 states. Since we travel to most of those 38 States my wife and I thought it would be a good idea to take the course and apply for the AZ Permit. We asked specifically if the Permit was good for NV residents and were told , "Yes".

    I have to admit I was skeptical and uncomfortable with his answer but decided to go ahead. Hoping I was wrong but I did not have Internet service out there. And.. maybe I could take the AZ permit into my local Sheriff's Office and get a NV Permit (Not an option I found out yesterday).

    After talking to the instructor yesterday I discovered he was giving false information to prospective customers and welcoming as many NV clients as he could. Also yesterday I found this Forum. Even though it IS an OC Forum a lot of readers are also CC (or wanting to be).

    I was only hoping to help anyone contemplating an AZ Permit to avoid MY mistake. My permit will still be valid when I travel outside NV (in 37 states) and I will still get a NV CC Permit.

    I AM SORRY if my post was inappropriate.

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Your post was not inappropriate. In fact, CCW permits themselves are on-topic here because they actually expand the legality of OC in all states to some degree.

    You should ask for a refund if you feel he purposely mislead you. Depending on his response, other action may be appropriate. I'm tolerant of genuine mistakes, but extremely non-tolerant of liars.
    Last edited by MAC702; 02-27-2012 at 11:30 AM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763
    how about a name or web link to this instructor?

  19. #19
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Marine 58 View Post
    Hey Look.........I am new to this Forum and I really did not expect this kind of reception. And I am not liking it so far.

    But for YOUR information I did NOT ask the AZ CCW instructor for information about NV Statutes. He ADVERTISED the CCW Permit was valid for us in NV.
    First welcome to the forum.

    I live in Idaho and like Utah it is not reconized in Nevada for Conceal Carry but I travel to Nevada 3-4 times a year. I was thinking about getting an AZ CCW as I can do it through the mail since I have Academy training and they reconize it in NV since I live out of state.

    What it boils down to is Nevada WANTS YOUR MONEY. It is like Oregon and Washington State, they will give me A CCW just because I have a Idaho but they won't accept it for Conceal Carry. They JUST WANT THE MONEY.

    It is all about the MONEY.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    First welcome to the forum.

    I live in Idaho and like Utah it is not reconized in Nevada for Conceal Carry but I travel to Nevada 3-4 times a year. I was thinking about getting an AZ CCW as I can do it through the mail since I have Academy training and they reconize it in NV since I live out of state.

    What it boils down to is Nevada WANTS YOUR MONEY. It is like Oregon and Washington State, they will give me A CCW just because I have a Idaho but they won't accept it for Conceal Carry. They JUST WANT THE MONEY.

    It is all about the MONEY.
    Maybe, maybe not. If it was really 'all about the money,' they would not recognize ANY out-of-state permits. Given the recent changes to the recognition list, whether anyone believes there is an 'all about the money' component, the rationale given for removal from recognition was logical in application, and not arbitrary.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  21. #21
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. If it was really 'all about the money,' they would not recognize ANY out-of-state permits. Given the recent changes to the recognition list, whether anyone believes there is an 'all about the money' component, the rationale given for removal from recognition was logical in application, and not arbitrary.
    Ok we will say Money and Politics then.

    Arizona will take Utah's CCW as good and Nevada will take Arizonia's provided you are not a Nevada resident.......But Nevada will not except a Utah CCW even though Arizonia is cool with it...hmmmm

    Utah is the second most recongnized CCW next to Florida by the number of states, If AZ is good with the UT CCW then why isn't NV? Must be money or politics.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    Ok we will say Money and Politics then.
    No, I will still disagree, and state that the rationale for the changes was logically applied.

    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker
    Arizona will take Utah's CCW as good and Nevada will take Arizonia's provided you are not a Nevada resident.......But Nevada will not except a Utah CCW even though Arizonia is cool with it...hmmmm
    NV recognizes other state permits based upon NV criteria, not upon AZ criteria.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker
    Utah is the second most recongnized CCW next to Florida by the number of states, If AZ is good with the UT CCW then why isn't NV? Must be money or politics.
    No, it is false to claim "must be money or politics." It is more correct to say that the standards as defined in statute were logically applied, how it appears notwithstanding.


    As a similar argument, we should deny out-of-state permits from AZ, since NY doesn't recognize out-of-state permits from AZ.
    Last edited by wrightme; 02-27-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  23. #23
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    No, I will still disagree, and state that the rationale for the changes was logically applied.

    NV recognizes other state permits based upon NV criteria, not upon AZ criteria.

    No, it is false to claim "must be money or politics." It is more correct to say that the standards as defined in statute were logically applied, how it appears notwithstanding.


    As a similar argument, we should deny out-of-state permits from AZ, since NY doesn't recognize out-of-state permits from AZ.
    I guess we will disagree on this as I believe it has to do with money and politics.

    I have to take an 8 hour course in Utah to get my CCW from Utah but the course in Nevada isn't as demanding. Arizona will take the fact I use a weapon for my job, my accadamy training and issue me one through the mail without taking a class. But Nevada still won't take Utahs but will take Arizona's

    Utah I have to attend an 8 hour class given by a certified instructor even with my training.

    Arizona I can get one in the mail.

    I guess it has nothing to do with politics or money then.

    Arizona doesn't have higher standards or better classes than Utah or Nevada.

    IT IS POLITICS AND MONEY, also check out the CCW websites they tell you what states are recognized in what states.

    Florida is recognized in 39 I believe.

    Utah is recognized in 38

    All others are below that, this is why they hold Utah CCW courses in Virgina, Wisconson and other states.

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    ...I have to take an 8 hour course in Utah to get my CCW from Utah but the course in Nevada isn't as demanding....
    UT does not require a live-fire qualification. NV does. How is that less demanding?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  25. #25
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    UT does not require a live-fire qualification. NV does. How is that less demanding?
    Well Arizona CCW can be done by mail but Nevada recognizes it, no live fire there.

    Again it all comes down to either money or politics; who comes up with the state standards....not the NRA. In Nevada I believe the people that make the laws take advice from a group of LE on what the standards should be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •