• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Permit Issued in AZ not Valid in NV For NV Resident

Marine 58

While down in AZ I took a CCW Class and applied for a AZ CCW Permit. The instructor told us that the CCW permit was good for 38 States (including NV). However, in reading the NV Statutes for Concealed Carry in NV it states that NV recognizes CCW permits from a lot of other States but "Nevada Residents MUST HAVE A NEVADA CCW PERMIT".
I called and spoke with the CCW Instructor and he said he was unaware of this law. It now appears I will have to take a NV sanctioned CCW class to meet NV requirements.

A lot of people are driving down to AZ to take the same class I did and they are unaware they have to have a NV CCW permit.

wrightme

That is covered by statute:

NRS 202.3688 Circumstances in which holder of permit issued by another state may carry concealed firearm in this State; holder of permit issued by another state subject to same restrictions and requirements as holder of permit issued in this State.

1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, a person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may carry a concealed firearm in this State in accordance with the requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.

2. A person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may not carry a concealed firearm in this State if the person:

(a) Becomes a resident of this State; and

(b) Has not been issued a permit from the sheriff of the county in which he or she resides within 60 days after becoming a resident of this State.

3. A person who carries a concealed firearm pursuant to this section is subject to the same legal restrictions and requirements imposed upon a person who has been issued a permit by a sheriff in this State.

(Added to NRS by 2007, 3150)
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3688

So, if you are a resident of NV, it appears that (a) and (b) conditions have been met, and a NV permit will be required, issued by the sheriff of the county in which you reside.

If NV residents are unaware that they need a NV permit, they may want to review the applicable statutes.

Last edited:

Marine 58

Here is the Statute I am referring to:

Anyone concealing a firearm without a concealed firearm permit recognized by Nevada is guilty of a category C felony. Per NRS 202.3688, NRS 202.3689, and the Department of Public Safety list, Nevada recognizes permits from AK, AR, AZ, KS, KY, LA, MI, MO, NE, NM, NC, OH, TN, RI, and WV. However, Nevada residents must have Nevada permits. Per NRS 202.3667, permit holders must carry the permit and proper identification when carrying a concealed firearm. Also, upon request by a police officer the permit and identification must be presented. The penalty for violation of NRS 202.3667 is a civil penalty of $25.

wrightme

Here is the Statute I am referring to:

Anyone concealing a firearm without a concealed firearm permit recognized by Nevada is guilty of a category C felony. Per NRS 202.3688, NRS 202.3689, and the Department of Public Safety list, Nevada recognizes permits from AK, AR, AZ, KS, KY, LA, MI, MO, NE, NM, NC, OH, TN, RI, and WV. However, Nevada residents must have Nevada permits. Per NRS 202.3667, permit holders must carry the permit and proper identification when carrying a concealed firearm. Also, upon request by a police officer the permit and identification must be presented. The penalty for violation of NRS 202.3667 is a civil penalty of $25.

Um, notice that I cited 202.3688. What is the text you posted?

Last edited:

Marine 58

"Um, notice that I cited 202.3688. What is the text you posted? Concealed Weapons"

NRS 202.350 is the law concerning concealed weapons.

wrightme

"Um, notice that I cited 202.3688. What is the text you posted? Concealed Weapons"

NRS 202.350 is the law concerning concealed weapons.

Huh?

202.3688 is a portion of the applicable code area. What is it you are attempting to say?

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html
202 covers a lot of ground.
202.350 makes it illegal to conceal a firearm.

202.3653 - 202.369 is the nuts and bolts of the permit system.

202.3688 defines the part where a resident will need to have a resident permit from Nevada.

Last edited:

Marine 58

"Huh?

202.3688 is a portion of the applicable code area. What is it you are attempting to say?"

What I am trying to say is: When I talked to the AZ CCW NRA Instructor today he was unaware that Nevada Residents have to have a "Nevada CCW Permit" even if they have an AZ CCW Permit. And.... that the AZ Permit does NOT allow Nevada residents to CCW in NV. He told me that he just signed up 15 people from Las Vegas to attend his CCW class in AZ. He is just now looking into what I told him. A whole lot of NV people are unaware of the Statute you quoted and are under the mistaken idea that the AZ CCW Permit is also valid in Nevada even though they are NV Residents. It is my belief that this is a very good Forum to let anyone know what NV Law is, before they go to another state to get a CCW Permit only to find out it won't do them any good in NV. It will save them time and money in the long run. And.....maybe help them understand the law before they get stopped for a traffic violation and find out too late their CCW Permit is no good in NV.

I might add that I had to do a lot of looking before I found

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3667

wrightme

The main oddity I see is this. Why would ANY Nevada resident ask a CCW instructor from another state for information regarding Nevada CCW statutes?

Marine 58

The main oddity I see is this. Why would ANY Nevada resident ask a CCW instructor from another state for information regarding Nevada CCW statutes?

Hey Look.........I am new to this Forum and I really did not expect this kind of reception. And I am not liking it so far.

But for YOUR information I did NOT ask the AZ CCW instructor for information about NV Statutes. He ADVERTISED the CCW Permit was valid for us in NV.

wrightme

Hey Look.........I am new to this Forum and I really did not expect this kind of reception. And I am not liking it so far.

But for YOUR information I did NOT ask the AZ CCW instructor for information about NV Statutes. He ADVERTISED the CCW Permit was valid for us in NV.

???

You asked a question, I located the statute that answered it, and through it all, I have found it virtually impossible to determine what is actually fact from your posts. If you take that as something to not like, I did not mean for it to be that way.

If the AZ CCW instructor is advertising courses to NV residents as allowing them to CC in Nevada, as near as I can tell, the statute states without question the exact opposite. And, I find it quite troubling that a CCW instructor from Arizona even presents that false information in the first place. It would make me suspect other information he presents as well.

Last edited:

wrightme

"What I am trying to say is: When I talked to the AZ CCW NRA Instructor today he was unaware that Nevada Residents have to have a "Nevada CCW Permit" even if they have an AZ CCW Permit. And.... that the AZ Permit does NOT allow Nevada residents to CCW in NV. He told me that he just signed up 15 people from Las Vegas to attend his CCW class in AZ. He is just now looking into what I told him. A whole lot of NV people are unaware of the Statute you quoted and are under the mistaken idea that the AZ CCW Permit is also valid in Nevada even though they are NV Residents. It is my belief that this is a very good Forum to let anyone know what NV Law is, before they go to another state to get a CCW Permit only to find out it won't do them any good in NV. It will save them time and money in the long run. And.....maybe help them understand the law before they get stopped for a traffic violation and find out too late their CCW Permit is no good in NV.

I might add that I had to do a lot of looking before I found

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3667

That portion I placed in bold is specifically what I find troubling. Now, as to if this forum is a good source for CCW law, only as a secondary function, since many members here are well-versed in CC law, though the main subject for these forum areas is Open carry. And frankly, there are many other places to find the same information, and even in this instance, it would be entirely valid to stop in at the Sheriff's office in the county of residence and ask.

To reiterate, even though there are many knowledgeable persons here and in other web forums, the BEST source of authoritative information is the Nevada Revised Statutes. And, after attempting to find information in statutes from other states, I actually find the Nevada Law Library to be quite easy to use and navigate.

The Big Guy

Marine 58...welcome to the Forum. I don't know if there are any states that would benefit you by having the AZ permit. Normally people (NV Residents) seem to get the NV and Utah to cover the bases. You will find some knowledgeable folks on here if you have any questions.

TBG

28kfps

Marine 58 welcome to the Forum. I believe your intent here was to share; some info that may be unknown to other interested gun owners.
A good catch on your part and as you can see you were correct and backed up by posted NRS. Do not take the replies personal. Wrightme has a good question not meant to send you away. One of the ways many on OC.org ensure accurate information is to come back with questions such as wrightme did.
We all have been nailed by such questions from any number of posters, one way to separate the storytellers and BSers from the facts.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Agreed, welcome!

I wish NV permits were not so expensive and strict, but it is correct that NV residents will have to get a NV permit to carry concealed here.

I'll bet if a lot more people OC'd, they'd ease up the CCW rules a lot.

Marine 58

Thank You for the Welcome. And YES I was posting for information only. I did not have a question.

Maybe I should clarify a couple of things:
1. I am Retired and although I own a home in Sparks, NV. I travel quite a lot to other States as far as the east coast.

2. My wife and I were preparing to take the 8 hr CCW class in Reno when we took a Winter break in the motorhome in Quartzite, AZ (RV winter meca). While there I encountered a business advertising a 3 hour (Non-shooting) CCW Permits that are good in 38 states. Since we travel to most of those 38 States my wife and I thought it would be a good idea to take the course and apply for the AZ Permit. We asked specifically if the Permit was good for NV residents and were told , "Yes".

I have to admit I was skeptical and uncomfortable with his answer but decided to go ahead. Hoping I was wrong but I did not have Internet service out there. And.. maybe I could take the AZ permit into my local Sheriff's Office and get a NV Permit (Not an option I found out yesterday).

After talking to the instructor yesterday I discovered he was giving false information to prospective customers and welcoming as many NV clients as he could. Also yesterday I found this Forum. Even though it IS an OC Forum a lot of readers are also CC (or wanting to be).

I was only hoping to help anyone contemplating an AZ Permit to avoid MY mistake. My permit will still be valid when I travel outside NV (in 37 states) and I will still get a NV CC Permit.

I AM SORRY if my post was inappropriate.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Your post was not inappropriate. In fact, CCW permits themselves are on-topic here because they actually expand the legality of OC in all states to some degree.

You should ask for a refund if you feel he purposely mislead you. Depending on his response, other action may be appropriate. I'm tolerant of genuine mistakes, but extremely non-tolerant of liars.

Last edited:

DocWalker

First welcome to the forum.

I live in Idaho and like Utah it is not reconized in Nevada for Conceal Carry but I travel to Nevada 3-4 times a year. I was thinking about getting an AZ CCW as I can do it through the mail since I have Academy training and they reconize it in NV since I live out of state.

What it boils down to is Nevada WANTS YOUR MONEY. It is like Oregon and Washington State, they will give me A CCW just because I have a Idaho but they won't accept it for Conceal Carry. They JUST WANT THE MONEY.

It is all about the MONEY.

wrightme

First welcome to the forum.

I live in Idaho and like Utah it is not reconized in Nevada for Conceal Carry but I travel to Nevada 3-4 times a year. I was thinking about getting an AZ CCW as I can do it through the mail since I have Academy training and they reconize it in NV since I live out of state.

What it boils down to is Nevada WANTS YOUR MONEY. It is like Oregon and Washington State, they will give me A CCW just because I have a Idaho but they won't accept it for Conceal Carry. They JUST WANT THE MONEY.

It is all about the MONEY.
Maybe, maybe not. If it was really 'all about the money,' they would not recognize ANY out-of-state permits. Given the recent changes to the recognition list, whether anyone believes there is an 'all about the money' component, the rationale given for removal from recognition was logical in application, and not arbitrary.