• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun safety training in St. Joe area.

Gordie

A friend living in St. Joe asked me where to find firearms safety training for children and beginners. Since I don't live near there anymore I'm not to up on where to send her. She is looking to buy her first gun and wants to be sure that she and her kids know how to be safe with it. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
A friend living in St. Joe asked me where to find firearms safety training for children and beginners. Since I don't live near there anymore I'm not to up on where to send her. She is looking to buy her first gun and wants to be sure that she and her kids know how to be safe with it. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

WMSA or MSSA both support youth shooting sports for MO with WM standing for Western Missouri and the founder is KC area, Gladstone or something like that.

Both will google to .org sites.

Marc

The best advice i can give is to tell your friend to go visit the guys at Dean's Gun Shop (also called Total Range LLC) on Hwy 169 N. just on the edge of town behind the Shops At North Village. I dont think they offer classes of their own but I do know they have several instructors that use their facilities for all types of firearms classes. Other than that she could contact American Patriot Enterprises in Weston, Mo which is only about 30 miles south of St. Joe. Hope that helps her out some. Oh and also the MO Dept. of Conservation has some classes that they hold for free at their facility on the north side of the Missouri Western State University campus.

Marc

And why am I the only St. Joe guy replying to this? Where is everyone? RevBCal is supposed to be the contact for MOOC around here, where the hell you at Bryce? You're slacking here. LOL j/k I dont mind being the voice of advice here, I just might not know of all the places some of you guys might.

cshoff

either you or your friend go here on the internet

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

look for first steps or home firearm safety or basic pistol course in your area.

provides fone numbers and instructors names to personally contact.

wabbit

Just don't count on that site to list every class that is being offered. For example, we offer both the NRA FIRST Steps Pistol and NRA Basic Pistol training programs, but we don't necessarily advertise them on the NRA website every time. Additionally, it's not uncommon for us to set up a class that is not currently on our schedule, by special request. A lot of instructors will try to accommodate a student, even if they don't necessarily have a specific class scheduled. It never hurts to call/send email to any instructors in your area to see if they can help you out.

ncwabbit

Just don't count on that site to list every class that is being offered. did it meet this OP's query? For example, we offer both the NRA FIRST Steps Pistol and NRA Basic Pistol training programs, but we don't necessarily advertise them on the NRA website every time. never understand anybody's failure to avail oneself to FREE advertising on a national level marketing internet site?? Additionally, it's not uncommon for us to set up a class that is not currently on our schedule, by special request. A lot of instructors will try to accommodate a student, even if they don't necessarily have a specific class scheduled. but potential clients not informed to who or where the instructor(s) are might find it tough to find instructors in their area to ask them to set up unscheduled courses It never hurts to call/send email to any instructors in your area to see if they can help you out.so once again, how is john q public suppose to find instructors in 'their area'...oh wait ping the open carry forum for help...ya thats it

wabbit's response is highlighted above

ps: why am i so confused on this masterful way to conduct business with customers...(sidebar: tough to know where you are physically located unless you search your website)

pps: interesting to note this gentleman did not see the courses i mentioned listed on your website chris?

Last edited:

cshoff

wabbit's response is highlighted above

never understand anybody's failure to avail oneself to FREE advertising on a national level marketing internet site??

For any number of reasons. A lot of it depends on the instructor/organization conducting the training. For example, we sometimes have classes filled before we schedule them. It wouldn't make much sense to list them on the NRA site just to have to turn people away. As another example, we will nearly always schedule a special private class for a student on almost any open day, if at all possible. The NRA website doesn't have a feature that allows an instructor to advertise classes in that manner. Lastly, some instructors just don't want to deal with the "Instructor Portal" application on the NRA website, therefore, they don't advertise their classes on it.

but potential clients not informed to who or where the instructor(s) are might find it tough to find instructors in their area to ask them to set up unscheduled courses

Yep. There is always the potential for that, which is why the site you provided the link to is a good resource. That is also why I advised, "It never hurts to call/send email to any instructors in your area to see if they can help you out.". If you see an instructor in your area through your use of that website, go ahead and give the person a call or send the person an email and let him/her know what you are interested in. Many instructors will try to accommodate you even if they don't have a particular class specifically listed on that site.

so once again, how is john q public suppose to find instructors in 'their area'...oh wait ping the open carry forum for help...ya thats it

Sure. This site and many others. Most any state-focused gun website/forum will have an area set aside for training information, or will have members who will happily direct you to trainers in your area.

ps: why am i so confused on this masterful way to conduct business with customers...(sidebar: tough to know where you are physically located unless you search your website)

I'm not sure what you are confused about. I wasn't trying to "conduct business" with the OP, rather, I was simply offering some advice. That advice being that while the NRA website is a good resource, it does not necessarily represent 100% of the possibilities that are available out there. As to finding information regarding where my business if physically located, where would you prefer I display that information? I believe having that information on my website, in addition to information regarding the courses and training programs we offer, in addition to our complete course schedule through the end of this year, as well as information about the organization itself, is as good a place as any to display our location.

pps: interesting to note this gentleman did not see the courses i mentioned listed on your website chris?

We don't offer the Home Firearms Safety course. We've just never had any interest in the class - at least not enough to justify placing it on our class schedule when we could be offering a class that is more, "in demand". As far as FIRST Steps Pistol is concerned, it is simply a shortened and abridged version of NRA Basic Pistol that focuses on one specific pistol action type. Any Certified NRA Pistol Instructor can also teach the NRA FIRST Steps Pistol course. Again, that is another class has very low demand, so unless someone asks specifically about it, we generally don't publicly offer it. Since the NRA shortened the NRA Basic Pistol Class to 8 hours in 2009, most people see the value in taking that class over NRA FIRST Steps being how it is much more comprehensive and has more live-fire involved, especially since most instructors charge nearly the same amount for either class.