Thread: Cato Institute: "Tough Targets: When Criminals Face Armed Resistance from Citizens"

Cato Institute: "Tough Targets: When Criminals Face Armed Resistance from Citizens"

I don't know if this has been posted here, but thought this would be an interesting source for those of us who like data:

http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/78800063

Enjoy!
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Not much "data" per se -- but information. I'm sure they used good data to generate it.

Thanks for the post!
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Thumbs up ^Thanks for posting this Doc. +1

The following paragraph from this paper speak volumes, I know I have heard such dribble from my elected officials dozens of times often while I'm wearing a gun yet nothing bad has ever happened. Go figure???

"Federal and state lawmakers have often opposed repealing or amending laws governing the ownership or carrying of guns.That opposition is typically based on as-sumptions that the average citizen is incapable of successfully employing a gun in self-defense or that possession of a gun in public will tempt the average citizen to violence in “road rage” or other contentious situations. This paper finds that such cases representan exceedingly small minority of gun usesby otherwise law-abiding citizens and that a great number of tragedies—murders, rapes,assaults, robberies—have been thwarted by self-defense gun uses."
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 02-26-2012 at 11:10 PM.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Not much "data" per se -- but information. I'm sure they used good data to generate it.

Thanks for the post!
    Data is a plural of datum, which is originally a Latin noun meaning “something given.” Today, data is used in English both as a plural noun meaning “facts or pieces of information” ( These data are described more fully elsewhere ) and as a singular mass noun meaning “information”: Not much data is available on flood control in Brazil.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Data is a plural of datum, which is originally a Latin noun meaning “something given.” Today, data is used in English both as a plural noun meaning “facts or pieces of information” ( These data are described more fully elsewhere ) and as a singular mass noun meaning “information”: Not much data is available on flood control in Brazil.
    Schooled!
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Schooled!

That was a good read, though they also fall for the "assault rifle/assault weapon" trap. An "assault rifle" requires the weapon to have a select fire option (the ability to fire a single bullet per trigger pull AND an option to fire multiple bullets per trigger pull), while an "assault weapon" is a made-up term by the antis to pretty much describe any "aggressive" "scary" or "military" gun and is also now starting to be thrown at certain feature (see "assault clips" since the Tuscon shooting). At one point they pretty much use these terms interchangeably even though the victim could not of been using a true assault rifle.

Great read! Thanks for posting it, Dr. Todd!

One of the most instructive portions for me was: "In fact, after Colorado’s 2003 concealedcarry law was enacted, Colorado State University decided to allow concealed carry,while the University of Colorado prohibitedfirearms. The former observed a rapid decline in reported crimes, while the latter, under the gun ban they claimed was for safety, observed a rapid increase in crime. Crime at the University of Colorado has risen 35 percent since 2004, while crime at Colorado State University has dropped 60 percent in the same time frame."

Thanks for posting this. I've already cross-posted the link to my old SCCC chapter's Facebook page. I'm sure they will find it extremely useful!
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964