Thread: John Stossel: Illegal Everything

Founder's Club Member

John Stossel: Illegal Everything

A great new segment by John Stossel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBiJB...c3FOAAAAAAAWAA

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    I watched it too. Mussolini would be envious of what the "progressives" have created. I wonder if a Ron Paul administration would be enough. I'm thinking a modern Augusto Pinochete might be the solution.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Herr Heckler Koch
    The Harvey Silverberg statement, "Show me the man, I'll show you the (three) felonies." set my imagination off. How might that statement be disproved?

If a felon can be properly disbarred his rights under color of law, then we may all be legally disarmed merely by sufficiently lowering the bar of felony.

ETA: After watching the entire video, thank you very much.
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 02-27-2012 at 11:29 AM.

I can't wait to watch this later... I"ve been saying this for years... TOO MANY LAWS... and MAKING TOO MANY MORE LAWS.... the law makers should be getting laws OFF the books... yOu can't walk down the street without breaking laws...
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

I wish I could make over $700 an hour to keep the poor poor and not let them work as their own company.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    I can't wait to watch this later... I"ve been saying this for years... TOO MANY LAWS... and MAKING TOO MANY MORE LAWS.... the law makers should be getting laws OFF the books... yOu can't walk down the street without breaking laws...
    You're not the only one.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

I always liked John Stossel, and after his special about gun control being ineffective, I knew this guy was the real deal. This is a great special that brings up excellent points. I think what it really comes down to is simply morals. Do not steal, do not murder, tell the truth, and treat others as you would like to be treated. What more would we need for a near-perfect world?

Quote Originally Posted by shastadude17 View Post
    I always liked John Stossel, and after his special about gun control being ineffective, I knew this guy was the real deal. This is a great special that brings up excellent points. I think what it really comes down to is simply morals. Do not steal, do not murder, tell the truth, and treat others as you would like to be treated. What more would we need for a near-perfect world?

You know the nation is F-ed when our Federal lawmakers actually have put laws on the books to exempt themselves from ALL FOUR of these concepts...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Herr Heckler Koch

Maxim Lott produced the taxi cab segment.

http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2012/0...verything.html
    Quote Originally Posted by John R. Lott, Jr.
    My son Maxim produced the segment on taxi cabs.

Quote Originally Posted by shastadude17 View Post
    Constitutional carry, everywhere, no exceptions.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I have a shirt from NAGR that essentially expresses a similar sentiment - "Firearms anywhere and everywhere" (commonly attributed to Geo. Washington addressing the First Continental Congress; "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference; they deserve a place with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes; we need them every hour.", but there seems to be some reasonable disagreement over that attribution). Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 02-28-2012 at 08:11 PM.
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Banned
    + no paperwork, no "background checks", no nothing

Banned
    In a word,

heartbreaking.

Banned
    Why isnt John running for president?

Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    I have a shirt from NAGR that essentially expresses a similar sentiment - "Firearms anywhere and everywhere" (commonly attributed to Geo. Washington addressing the First Continental Congress; "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference; they deserve a place with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes; we need them every hour.", but there seems to be some reasonable disagreement over that attribution). Pax...
    Where did you find that little gem from GW? Me likey that one. Obviously, my Google-Fu is weak or i would have found that one.

Thanks Gill.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Where did you find that little gem from GW? Me likey that one. Obviously, my Google-Fu is weak or i would have found that one.

Thanks Gill.
    Here's the entire quote, courtesy of guncite.com: The "Liberty Teeth" Speech by George Washington

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prairie wagon, and citizen's firearms are indelibly related. From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable. Every corner of this land knows firearms, and more than 99 99/100 percent of them by their silence indicate they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference; they deserve a place with all that's good. When firearms, go all goes; we need them every hour."
    --- Falsely attributed to George Washington

The specific details on why that quote is considered "falsely attributed" are available here: [URL="http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndbog.html"[/URL] , and the reasons given for their disbelief seem sound. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Did the they, back then, refer to the Pilgrims as Pilgrims? Also, pistols were a very expensive item, almost prohibitively so, not likely that very many regular folks would have them.

Didn't read the info from the link, just two thinks that jumped out at me.

Great quote regardless of who said it.

Thanks, again, gil.

Oh, and the 'prairie wagon'?

The 'prairie wagon' was not 'invented' back in GW's day, let alone folks even knowing that the prairie(s) even existed in America. Mountain Men knew about the prairie, though they likely did not call them that.

Definition of prairie:

1: land in or predominantly in grass

2: a tract of grassland: as

a: a large area of level or rolling land in the Mississippi River valley that in its natural uncultivated state usually has deep fertile soil, a cover of tall coarse grasses, and few trees

b: one of the dry treeless plateaus east of the Rocky Mountains that merge on their east side with the prairies proper and are characterized by shorter grasses and drier less fertile soil

First Known Use: circa 1682

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prairie

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Why isnt John running for president?
    Why would he want to? It would mean the left would start paying ***** to make up lies about him, as we saw with Cain that can be hard on one's family life.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    Why would he want to?
    Plus he'd probably have to take a cut in pay :-)

Sent using Tapatalk
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Did the they, back then, refer to the Pilgrims as Pilgrims? Also, pistols were a very expensive item, almost prohibitively so, not likely that very many regular folks would have them.
    The word "pilgrim" has its origins in the Middle English period (1150AD-1470AD), so it is quite possible that they - "they" being the "colonial rebels" - could have referred to the Pilgrims as Pilgrims some 150 years after the arrival of the Mayflower. Did they? I have no idea. I suppose an exhaustive search of all documents prepared since the Mayflower Compact, on what is now American soil, could resolve the question.

As for the cost of a pistol during the late-1700s, my Shooter's Bible collection doesn't go back quite that far. But (solely for frame of reference), one 1776 U.S. dollar would purchase the equivalent of twenty-nine U.S. dollars today. Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 03-02-2012 at 01:08 AM.
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Thanks gil, interesting stuff. I guess I should have stated that pistols would be less useful for the average citizen. I guess folks back then would rather have spent their money on a useful hunting rifle vs. a pistol that is designed for self defense in close quarters. Again, thanks for the info, learnt something new, which is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    The word "pilgrim" has its origins in the Middle English period (1150AD-1470AD), so it is quite possible that they - "they" being the "colonial rebels" - could have referred to the Pilgrims as Pilgrims some 150 years after the arrival of the Mayflower. Did they? I have no idea. I suppose an exhaustive search of all documents prepared since the Mayflower Compact, on what is now American soil, could resolve the question.

As for the cost of a pistol during the late-1700s, my Shooter's Bible collection doesn't go back quite that far. But (solely for frame of reference), one 1776 U.S. dollar would purchase the equivalent of twenty-nine U.S. dollars today. Pax...
    Well, technically there were no "U.S. Dollars" in 1776. There was "continental Dollars" but as is the nature of Fiat currency they quickly became worthless, and gave birth to the phrase "not worth a continental"

The common coin of the time was the Spanish milled Dollar. Also referred to as "pieces of eight". The coin was divided into eight segments known as "bits" and is where the term "two bits" originated. Two bits was two eighths of a Dollar or twenty five cents.

The first U.S. coin for circulation was minted in 1792 under the authority granted in Article One Section Eight of The Constitution For The United States, and the Coinage Act Of 1792. Prior to this, and under The Articles Of Confederation there were some coins produced but none actually went into circulation.

The true U.S dollar is still the Silver Dollar, we do not use Dollars in trade anymore we use Federal Reserve Notes.

A more accurate form of your statement should read- One (silver) Dollar currently trades for 29 FRN (at the time I am typing this it actually trades for closer to 26FRN )
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

Question

Quote Originally Posted by PrayingForWar View Post
    I'm thinking a modern Augusto Pinochete might be the solution.
    I am honestly curious to hear you explain how the advent of a social-nationalist, military dictatorship would regain us our constitutional liberties.

Really, I can't wait to be enlightened.