• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RIP: John Williams. Lest we forget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_pro2a

His totem pole was raised today at the Seattle Center.

May this totem pole be a gift that keeps giving to the City of Seattle, and its Police Department.

120226_totem_pole_raising_660.jpg

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Totem-pole-honors-slain-Seattle-woodcarver--140501113.html

amlevin

I just hope that 5, 10, or more years from now that people don't forget the name John T. Williams and let him only be remembered as just "the Indian Woodcarver that was killed by a Seattle Cop". It would be even more tragic if the only name remembered was that of the officer that killed him.

The Totem will help but it's up to the people to see this doesn't happen.

deanf

Why would we erect a memorial on public property to a known inebriate? We erect public memorials to heroes or people to be looked up to and emulated, not to a self-destructive person like Williams, who's conduct would have ended in his early demise anyway, Birk's involvement notwithstanding.

sudden valley gunner

Why would we erect a memorial on public property to a known inebriate? We erect public memorials to heroes or people to be looked up to and emulated, not to a self-destructive person like Williams, who's conduct would have ended in his early demise anyway, Birk's involvement notwithstanding.

Although I agree with some of your sentiment. The fact of the matter is that he was causing no one any harm and was murdered by a cop. I like the statue for the reason it is a constant reminder of how "Law Enforcement" feels they are above the law and not held to a higher constitutional standard they should be.

He also was a human being who contributed works of art to society he was loved by his family and many. We can always hope the "prodigal sons" come to their senses.

But by your comments people should be judged less severely for murdering elderly since they are closer to their demise?

Dave_pro2a

Birk's involvement notwithstanding.

Oh yeah, his murder at the hands of an on duty LEO (who got off scott free) notwithstanding.

Because the poor, the sick, the mentally ill all deserve less rights under the law then everyone else. Because those 'elements' of society deserve to be treated unequal under the law.

Frak that BS.

Last edited:

deanf

Had he shot a deaf blue-haired old lady swinging a knitting needle, having just come from Nordstom, on her way to her Mercedes, I doubt the consequences for Birk would have been any different.

Are you saying that the numerous inquiries into the shooting all considered Williams' station in society when reaching a conclusion?

Dave_pro2a

Had he shot a deaf blue-haired old lady swinging a knitting needle, having just come from Nordstom, on her way to her Mercedes, I doubt the consequences for Birk would have been any different.

Are you saying that the numerous inquiries into the shooting all considered Williams' station in society when reaching a conclusion?

I'm saying Williams was murdered by a police officer who got away scott free, in my opinion.

I'm saying you sound racist and bigoted, in my opinion.

In my opinion, I'm probably right on both counts.

Everything else, "notwithstanding" of course. ;)

deanf

That sounds like the kind of comment a bigoted racist might utter, imho.

Perpetuating their false victimhood and giving them cute names is certainly no service to them. It only serves to cement their station in society - it assures them that there is no life than what they know at the hands of their benevolent masters, the government. It will guarantee them many more generations of poverty, alcoholism and drug abuse, and living in mobile homes with the tongues still attached, trash strewn about their yards.

It is sad what we are doing in the name of helping them.

Dave_pro2a

Know what it takes for a cop to get arrested and/or fired?

http://themountainnewswa.net/2012/0...from-memorial-fund-for-slain-police-officers/

Short of screwing over another cop, they are above the law.

Dave_pro2a

Perpetuating their false victimhood and giving them cute names is certainly no service to them. It only serves to cement their station in society - it assures them that there is no life than what they know at the hands of their benevolent masters, the government. It will guarantee them many more generations of poverty, alcoholism and drug abuse, and living in mobile homes with the tongues still attached, trash strewn about their yards.

It is sad what we are doing in the name of helping them.

Yeah, that sounds like a bigot and a racist talking, in my humble opinion ;)

What would you rather call American Indians? Some 'cute' name from the 1860s or 1920s?

Last edited:

deanf

Back to the memorial:

Why was Williams a hero? Why was he someone to be looked up to and emulated, in a public sense? Why does his memory deserve his memorial?

Status
Not open for further replies.