• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

RIP: John Williams. Lest we forget

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanf

Yeah, that sounds like a bigot and a racist talking

Do you even know what a racist is?

I want Indians to have the same opportunity for success as all races. Perpetuating the victimhood cycle does nothing to accomplish that.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Just the sober Indians you mean, right?

Oh, and amerindian isn't a 'cutsey name', it's only been in use since the late 1800's. It distinguishes the American Aborigine from the Australian who are usually addressed only as 'aborigines' and from those who are truly Indians that live on a south Asian sub-continent. If some benighted Genoan hadn't saddled them with that misidentification we'd probably all be better off, but it's hard to change history.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

Why does his memory deserve his memorial?

Hey I thought of a new nickname of you: "Dense Dean."

He was murdered by LEO. The LEO got off scott free. Seattle needs, no it deserves, a constant reminder of that abuse of power and authority. If for no other reason, that's enough justification for the existence of the Totem Pole.

In other words, a human life is inherently valuable. Every human in America has basic rights. The LEO took a life while violating that American Indian's Rights. Yes, erect a *** **** memorial, and do it for every person murdered or maimed by LEO in Seattle (or anywhere)

Personally, I want to see a large public piece of artwork, or hell even just a big billboard on I-5 at both ends of the city, with this person's image on it -- and the warning "WATCH OUT FOR SEATTLE POLICE OFFICERS -- THEY MIGHT RANDOMLY MAIM OR KILL YOU"

charris01.jpg

And every time the SPD creates another VICTIM then there should be another sign, totem pole, or whatever it takes to shove the brutal truth into the face of Seattleites -- until officers start serving time for their lawless behavior.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

Do you even know what a racist is?

I want Indians to have the same opportunity for success as all races. Perpetuating the victimhood cycle does nothing to accomplish that.

Do I know what racist is? Yes, and in my opinion you appear to be one.

And I think a reasonable person could say that: It seem to have ZERO respect for the Constitution, and equality under the law. You also have ZERO desire to hold LEO responsible for their illegal and immoral actions.

It's funny that you can't even talk about this issue without admitting that American Indians ARE victims (on some level) and that victimhood is a cycle -- implying that it is hard to break.

Perpetuating the victimhood cycle does nothing to accomplish that.

Thanks for the unintended admission. Language is precise, and that's what you wrote.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Been patiently following this thread and see that there are some strong feelings about this local issue, but what exactly does this have to do with OC or RKBA?

Fallschirjmäger

Been patiently following this thread and see that there are some strong feelings about this local issue, but what exactly does this have to do with OC or RKBA?
Didn't Birk attempt to justify his actions by saying he was in fear of his life by the armed Williams?
110112_ian_birk1.jpg

photo of Birk demonstrating how Williams was armed with a weapon.
I'm sure Birk didn't shoot Williams just because he'd abused the whiteman's firewater.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

Didn't Birk attempt to justify his actions by saying he was in fear of his life by the armed Williams?
110112_ian_birk1.jpg

I'm sure Birk didn't shoot Williams just because he'd abused the whiteman's firewater.

Hi there resident of GEORGIA.

Have you seen the dashcam video from the shooting?

Did you watch/listen to the trial?

Did you listen to the 911 calls from eye witnesses?

Do you know what Seattle's laws are regarding knives?

Have you even read Washington state's RCWs on brandishing a weapon?

Do you know that Williams also had other carving supplies visibly carried IN HIS HANDS.

Inquiring minds want to know, Mr resident of Georgia.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

Welcome to the WASHINGTON sub forum, Mr Virginia.

The average OCer faces the same risks that John Williams faced. He was conducting a lawful activity with a weapon that was being openly carried in a legal manner -- and he was murdered by a police officer.

It could happen to a person with a pistol in a holster, approached by some cop with an attitude and itchy trigger finger. SPD has a history of abuse, so much so that they are the target of an FBI investigation. This is information that is vitally important to anyone who enters the city limits with a visible weapon (knife or gun).

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Welcome to the WASHINGTON sub forum, Mr Virginia.

The average OCer faces the same risks that John Williams faced. He was conducting a lawful activity with a weapon that was being openly carried in a legal manner -- and he was murdered by a police officer.

It could happen to a person with a pistol in a holster, approached by some cop with an attitude and itchy trigger finger. SPD has a history of abuse, so much so that they are the target of an FBI investigation. This is information that is vitally important to anyone who enters the city limits with a weapon (knife or gun).

Oh I understand the alleged over reaction by the officer and references to similar, but that isn't the point of the OP. Nor is that the theme of the exchanges regarding the victim's worthiness to be remembered and racial undertones. Those are the things that trouble me and seem inappropriate for OCDO.

Dave_pro2a

the theme of the exchanges regarding the victim's worthiness to be remembered and racial undertones.

Hey, I can't help it if some dude who seems like he'd be more at home on the Stormfront forum chooses to piss on my thread. I will call him out on it though.

END_THE_FED

Back to the memorial:

Why was Williams a hero? He wasn't. Why was he someone to be looked up to and emulated, in a public sense? He probably wasn't. Why does his memory deserve his memorial? Because he was murdered by a rabid thug in a government issued costume. A thug who would be in prison if it were not for said costume. That is what should be remembered.

My comments in blue.

END_THE_FED

If a police officer can murder a man simply for carrying a legal knife, is it that far of a stretch to fear he may do the same to someone carrying a legal firearm?

Oh, and RKBA does not only include firearms, it is my opinion that it includes all arms (even knifes).

EDIT: I posted this before reading you reply to another poster that made a similar point as I did. The point you made is a good one.

Last edited:

END_THE_FED

110112_ian_birk1.jpg

Yes that is what Birk claimed. Eye witness accounts do not seem to agree. Birk changed his story a few times. he told one account to responding officers. Then by the time he made his first "Official statement" he claimed Williams charged at him with the knife. Then at trial he claimed that Williams had the knife out and was stationary but was "staring" at him and had "pre-attack indicators". The folding knife by the way was found on the ground CLOSED when officers responded.

Birk also lied about dealing with Williams before.

"Officer" Birk had no RAS to even stop Williams in the first place. He had no reason to believe a crime was taking place. Mr. Williams was well within his rights to ignore the "officer".

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Hi there resident of GEORGIA.

Have you seen the dashcam video from the shooting?
Did you watch/listen to the trial?
Did you listen to the 911 calls from eye witnesses?
Do you know what Seattle's laws are regarding knives?
Have you even read Washington state's RCWs on brandishing a weapon?
Do you know that Williams also had other carving supplies visibly carried IN HIS HANDS.
Inquiring minds want to know, Mr resident of Georgia.

Let me see....

Dashcam, Yes

Trial, No, but only because Ian Birk was never brought to trial, perhaps you misspoke and meant to use the word "inquest"?

Knife law, Yes. Seattle Muni Code12A.14.010 prohibits knives over 3.5 inches, defining them as "dangerous knives". SMC 12A.14.075 prohibits using a "dangerous knife" (defined previously) to intimidate.
Evidence at Court, stated the knife was 3".
There is no evidence, aside from the shooter, that Mr. Williams who moments previously was unconcernedly crossing a street with the pedestrian signal, did anything intimidating to anyone.

911 calls, None were made to the police department until after Officer Birk pumped bullets into a woodcarver's chest.

Brandishing, Yes, that would be RCW 9.41.270 I believe. Are you saying that crossing a street on a crosswalk while being engrossed in carving a piece of wood is somehow...... intimidating? Or is a knife shorter than the statutory definition of one that's "dangerous" a prohibited item?
Q13-Fox News said:
On the stand Birk confirmed that after the shooting he found the carving knife closed.

Q13-Fox News So..... apparently he "intimidated" Ofc Birk with a closed pocketkinfe, Oh the HORROR!

Wood carving supplies, Yes. I think it's called "... a piece of wood." Were there other dangerous art materials we're unaware of? Paints, maybe or a charcoal pencil?

Is there something about being a current resident of another state that makes someone unable to understand the English language, or am I missing the thrust of your question?

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

In my opinion, you should have said:

"Photo of Birk lying about how Williams was carrying a weapon."
I have no proof he was lying.
The fact that I think he's a lying, murdering, over-reacting, badge heavy thug who shot Mr Williams to death because he recognized Mr Williams and wanted to "richard" with him because he was known as the town drunk and a troublemaker shouldn't be in dispute. All you need to do is see my previous posts in the matter.

deanf

Do I know what racist is? Yes, and in my opinion you appear to be one.

In my opinion, you,
Dave_pro2a, deep in your heart, hate black people.

Why do I think that? No reason that you've given.

Same as there's no reason I've given that I should be thought to hate Indians. Quite the contrary, according to my posts.

Dave_pro2a

Sorry Fallschirmjäger, seems like we're on the same side of the argument. I thought you were supporting Birk's actions.

Dave_pro2a

In my opinion, you, [/COLOR]Dave_pro2a, deep in your heart, hate black people.

Why do I think that? No reason that you've given.

Same as there's no reason I've given that I should be thought to hate Indians. Quite the contrary, according to my posts.

Racism and bigotry don't necessarily involve hate.

I wasn't judging your emotional state, just your words -- they seem down right racist and bigoted, and they make you look the same (in my opinion) ;)

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Sorry Fallschirmjäger, seems like we're on the same side of the argument. I thought you were supporting Birk's actions.
I figured as much after I saw your later posts.
No worries, it's dang hard to tell tone or emotions from words online.

errr... and pls forgive the tone of that little post of mine above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.