• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dumb Question...Beretta M9 9mm worth buying?

DWCook

Activist Member
I am curious on to everyone's opinions on getting a M9....(Military Version). I have been itching to get one and actually enjoy shooting them at the range. Just wanted to see what others thought there. Yes I know buy what you want not what others say, but figure I ask. I know this more than likely has popped up here but I'm being lazy lol! :) :)

Beretta92FSLady

I have a 92fs. I like my 92fs. I suppose the most pressing question is: Do I prefer to carry a light compact, or a bit heavier sidearm? The 92fs is a bit heavier--but you do get 16 rounds. For some reason I would rather have 16 9mm than 8 .45 (you can get a double-stack though). The Beretta 92fs (M9, basically) is a sexy sidearm IMO.

Obviously I am bias.:p

Marco

I hate traditional DA triggers (DA/SA).
Personally, I could never recommend the Taurus PT 92, the one I had (Ser#TKC7 circa 1991) the barrel exploded while I was shooting it.

I prefer the Beretta 92 Steel I, CB, and Combat to the M9/92FS.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

You can always consider the Taurus TP92 AF. It has a few things better than the Beretta. Lower price and a much better safety/decocker which is mounted on the frame instead of the slide.

If you are used to the 1911, yes, the frame mounted safety is more familiar.

Personally, the safety on my 92fs doesn't bother me--I would prefer the lever be a bit longer though:)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I grew up with the 1911 and its bias. But I am quick to acknowledge that for a 9mm, the Beretta 92FS / M9 is an excellent choice if its size is appropriate for you. They are very accurate and reliable. I like them.

Last edited:

DocWalker

You buy what you want and feel comfortable with.

I personnaly had to carry on in the military and was issued the Berretta 92F as a service weapon when I worked federal security. I personnally don't mind shooting them but wouldn't want to carry one for self defense dute to their size, weight, and stopping power.

We have documented cases of people in Iraq, Afgahnistan, and here in the USA of people being shot multiple times with this pistol and they keep on coming. This is why the military is shifting back to the 45 ACP.

But if you buy one let me know I have a really really nice leg/drop holster for the 92F that is just sitting in my gun room since I don't use one anymore.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

I personnaly had to carry on in the military and was issued the Berretta 92F as a service weapon when I worked federal security. I personnally don't mind shooting them but wouldn't want to carry one for self defense dute to their size, weight, and stopping power.

We have documented cases of people in Iraq, Afgahnistan, and here in the USA of people being shot multiple times with this pistol and they keep on coming. This is why the military is shifting back to the 45 ACP.

But if you buy one let me know I have a really really nice leg/drop holster for the 92F that is just sitting in my gun room since I don't use one anymore.

For military use, no doubt you were issued ball ammunition. That is a far cry from modern SD 9mm ammo.

09jisaac

The weapon has very little to do with the effectiveness of the round.

11B2O

Not a fan of it. Used it alot in the military. Had a tendency to jam alot after being shot alot that day or just from getting a little dirty. In addition to being on the line as infantry I was out platoon's armorer for a little bit. I saw too many M9's with safety malfunctions. Luckily no one ever ND'ed, but still. We were issued the M9, but SF was issued Glock 19's. Wasn't too happy that we got the garbage.

DocWalker

The weapon has very little to do with the effectiveness of the round.

Yes in the military I was issued FMJ but after I retired and worked for the Federal Security I was issued Hollow Points but they still didn't have the knock down power of a 45 or even a 40 cal round of equal quality.

Washington State patrol used to use the SW 5904 9mm but has moved to the 40 Cal, why because the 9mm was inadiquate. I bought three of the S&W's when they switched. They are great to go shoot but I don't carry them.

Utah State, Davis County Sheriff's dept. used Colts Trooper MKIII 357 then switched to the 9mm round. Guess what they switched to the 40 Cal already.

Each person needs to decide what they are comfortable with and what size and type of round to carry. Personnally I car 45 ACP or 40 CAL and either carry the good stuff or load my own.

09jisaac

Yes in the military I was issued FMJ but after I retired and worked for the Federal Security I was issued Hollow Points but they still didn't have the knock down power of a 45 or even a 40 cal round of equal quality.

Washington State patrol used to use the SW 5904 9mm but has moved to the 40 Cal, why because the 9mm was inadiquate. I bought three of the S&W's when they switched. They are great to go shoot but I don't carry them.

Utah State, Davis County Sheriff's dept. used Colts Trooper MKIII 357 then switched to the 9mm round. Guess what they switched to the 40 Cal already.

Each person needs to decide what they are comfortable with and what size and type of round to carry. Personnally I car 45 ACP or 40 CAL and either carry the good stuff or load my own.

OK, now you're saying that the 9mm is crappy in EVERY gun. Not just in the M9. Your 1st post sounded like the weapon was at fault. The firearm itself has little to do with the effectiveness of the round.

SovereignAxe

The 92FS/M9 has to be one of the most polarizing weapons I've ever heard of.

I haven't shot one in YEARS. The last time was probably early 2000s, and that was just trying someone's out at a range once. I can't say I remember much about the way it shoots, but I do remember how it felt. Having that minimalist slide puts most of the mass in the grip-especially when it's fully loaded. It's not a bad thing, it's just strange. The grip is HUGE. I don't see how anyone in the military with small hands deals with it. Myself, I have pretty spidery hands, so it's not big deal to me. But I can't help but think that the grip was designed by someone that had no idea how big a double stack mag was, and overengineered the grip to make sure the mag well would be big enough.

As a lefty, I appreciate the ambi safety/decocker, but at the same time I've never understood the point of having a safety/decocker combo. I think the mag release is reversible as well.

The 92/M9 has a 5" barrel which is unusually long when most pistols these days max out a 4" and some change with notable exceptions being the 1911 (5"), XDm 5.25", and Browning HP which is close enough at 4.7". I've heard both that this makes the weapon a tack driver, and that it doesn't help at all. One thing's for sure though, and that's that you'll have an extra inch of sight radius.

If you're seriously considering the M9, you probably already know most of this, and have probably already made up your mind. If you like it, I say go for it. I really can't tell someone not to buy it unless they don't like the grip or the weight.

wrightme

I have a 92FS, and it is IMHO, an excellent 9mm pistol, though a bit large. It is accurate, and comfortable for me to use. I have at times, contemplated purchasing a Stoeger Cougar as a downsized variant for more comfortable daily carry. And, for those who prefer other calibers, it is also available in .40.

j4l

My take- and my own experiences.

As for the pistol itself: Never cared for it. Used it in the Army, wasnt terribly confident with it- reliability-wise, or stopping-power wise (for ANY 9mm for that matter)
1 issue I had repeatedly- with both brand-new models, as well as beat to hell and back issue models- That exposed trigger bar on the outside of the frame. HUGE no-go@ this station. The thing is too easily bent, loosened or otherwise damaged or fouled just in general carrying around, much less in action.

When that thing fails, it can either render the pistol inoperable completely, or to lesser degree, can cause the trigger to not reset properly.
You end up having to push the trigger back forward to reset, with the trigger finger, to fire the next round.
If that's going to be the case, you might as well be armed with a flintlock. One shot, stop, push trigger fwd, one shot, repeat.
How that design ever got approved, I have not the foggiest idea.

A bud of mine, a Naval Officer currently serving, was home on leave a yr. or so ago. He' bought a brand-new, in the box 92. His reason being it was the same as his issue sidearm, and was familiar with it's use.
We took it to the range for his 1st time firing it. Worked ok at 1st. But by the 3rd magazine (brand -new) began to malfunction. The floorplate of that magazine seperated completely from the rest of the mag while I was firing it. All the remaining rounds spilled out onto the floor at my feet.
Imagine that happening to you at the worst possible moment: The opponent would likely die laughing at you, more than any chance of those rounds killing him.

As for the round... 16 9mm (of ANY load) vs. 8 of .45? Plz. History on almost every battlefield since WWI has settled that debate many times over.
You'll likely need all 16 of those rounds to stop anyone serious about doing you or yours harm. Not an opinion. A well-documented fact. :p

09jisaac

j4l: you're comparing apples and oranges. Look how few rounds even hit the target in any situation that you're not just target practicing. No one is arguing that the 9mm is a better stopper than the .45. The argument is that capacity trumps power. Hits stop attacks. In a situation where you need to start throwing lead 2 or 3 sub-prime hits with a 9mm will do better than 1 in a .45, in most cases.

Also, and this is a real important part: 9mm ball ammo isn't as reliable at stopping a threat as modern self defense ammo. Compare police shoot outs with SD ammo if you want. It'll support your claim that .45 is more deadly than 9mm, but battlefield ammo is another ball game.

armaborealis

I have shot the Beretta 92 and own a Beretta 96.

Pros: Heavy duty construction, feels solid/rugged, field stripping is relatively simple, heavy (so less recoil), decent combat handgun (large ejection port, decocker, reliable feeding, etc), metal frame (if you like that)
Cons: Arguably terrible DA/SA trigger (some love it; I don't care for it, my wife hates it), large and bulky for the caliber, large grips, dated ergonomics, mags moderately pricey, capacity limited compared to what you can get in a modern polymer gun, no rail for a light

They're ok. It seems like a great gun for the 1980s. I wouldn't carry one for self defense, personally. I think there are better options out there in the caliber today (Glock, S&W M&P jump to mind).

As for the caliber -- I have confidence in the 9mm if used with modern premium self-defense loadings. FMJ military hardball obviously has issues in the caliber, but civilians aren't limited to that loading.

Beretta92FSLady

I have a 92FS, and it is IMHO, an excellent 9mm pistol, though a bit large. It is accurate, and comfortable for me to use. I have at times, contemplated purchasing a Stoeger Cougar as a downsized variant for more comfortable daily carry. And, for those who prefer other calibers, it is also available in .40.

[video=youtube_share;lX0MB7pJtKs]http://youtu.be/lX0MB7pJtKs[/video]

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I have a 92FS and it is one of my favorite guns and my main concealed carry firearm. It is the same as the M9 other than a few minor changes like roll marking and the sights. (The military version also has a straight dust cover and a non-radiused backstrap, but I think on the commercial M9 it can be either way.)

If you get a 92FS / M9, get the Mec-Gar 18 round mags. They are flush fit just like the standard 15 rounders. Mec-Gar also sells 20 round mags that only stick out half an inch.

As for military reliability issues, I don't know the scoop, but I know for a while the military was buying some aftermarket mags that weren't too hot. Also, a lot of those military guns are abused and shot out.

As for the floor plate of a mag falling off at the range and the rounds spilling out, it sounds to me like someone had dissassembled the magazine and forgot to put the floor plate on far enough to snap back on. It's not the guns fault if you don't put it together right. When the floor plates are snapped onto the magazine, the magazines work just fine. In fact, there are quite a few guns out there from quite a few different companies that use the exact same mag design as the 92 or a magazine that is almost exactly the same but with the mag release cut in a different spot. You never hear complaints about any of those guns.

As for a rail, there are several versions of the gun with a rail. M9A1, 92A1, 92G-SD, Vertec, 90-Two, etc.

As for the military switching back to the .45, gun shop owners and gun rags have been saying that for nearly two decades and it hasn't happened yet. It doesn't mean it won't happen, but it wasn't true the last 20 times they said it.

I'd take a 92 over any Glock any day. Nothing wrong with the Glock, but that's my personal preference. As for the Glock being a lot more modern, sure it's got a poly frame, but both were released about 30 years ago. The 92, like the Glock, is constantly getting design modifications and upgrades like newer locking blocks etc. For all practical purposes, guns today are not much different than they were 100 years ago, so the whole argument that they are antiquated I think is pretty silly. I think a metal frame is nicer feeling than the polymer frame, and the 92 is a lot less sensitive to limp wrist failures also.

The 92 gets a lot of crap, mainly because it replaced the beloved 1911 in the U.S. military.

Last edited: