• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dumb Question...Beretta M9 9mm worth buying?

jeeper1

I have a stainless steel model 92fs with an adjustable rear sight and like it a lot but it is 9mm. I really want a model 96 because I prefer a 40 caliber.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You can always consider the Taurus TP92 AF. It has a few things better than the Beretta. Lower price and a much better safety/decocker which is mounted on the frame instead of the slide.

I don't like Taurus .. I have the pistol .. it puts the bullet where you aim .. what more you want ?

j4l

"As for the military switching back to the .45, gun shop owners and gun rags have been saying that for nearly two decades and it hasn't happened yet. It doesn't mean it won't happen, but it wasn't true the last 20 times they said it."

Actually it's true. That it hasnt happened yet, was due to budget reasons, the next U.S. issue sidarm program was put on hold, and the trials cancelled.
The specs for what that pistol is to be, if it ever comes about are :

The 'Combat Pistol System' is to consist of:
a Caliber .45 pistol (designed for A475 and AA18 rounds)
Magazines (standard and high-capacity);
Suppressor Attachment Kit
Holster
Magazine Holder (standard and high-capacity)
Cleaning Kit and Operator's Manual.

Estimates for max procurement quantities for the system are listed as
45,000 no external safety
600,000 JCP with the external safety configuration
649,000 Holsters
96,050 Standard Capacity Magazines
192,099 High Capacity Magazines
667,000 Magazine Holders
132,037 Suppressor attachment kits

A large variety of .45 ACP pistols were entered into the competition. These include the

Germany Heckler & Koch HK45C
Germany SIG P220 Combat
United States Ruger P345
United States Smith & Wesson M&P
Austria Glock 21SF
Italy Beretta Px4 Storm
Brazil Taurus PT 24/7 OSS
Belgium Fabrique Nationale FNP45-USG
Croatia HS-45
Canada Para-Ordnance LDA 1911

DocWalker

Certain units in the USA, Navy, and marines have switched to the H&K 45 ACP as their main sidearm already. I know of a couple AF Col and Generals that carried the H&K 45 ACP in Iraq as well.

The main reason the US Military switched to the 9mm was because of NATO and they wanted to be able to have a universal round in the event of a conflict. I do love the 1911 that the military had but the USAF was using the 38 special revolver when I joined the USAF in 1985. It was ok but again limited to rounds and loading time.

Before I retired from the USAF I actually got the official email on the switch to the 45 ACP and that once approvel the USAF would be last to get them on the priority list. I didn't carry the M-16, I was issued the 9mm as my primary weapon while in the sand box's.

I enjoyed shooting the Berretta but wouldn't carry it daily due to size, weight, and better options out there for the same price.

I can carry my Tauris Millenium 45 ACP with 11 rounds and it is smaller, lighter, and cheaper to buy new. For its size and power it really doesn't kick or have issues seen with small pistols of the same caliber.

I just have to keep my wife from taking it, sometimes I look for it if we are going out and she already is wearing it. I think I might have to get another one.

Xulld

9mm Vs .45 briefly.

Tissue trauma is what stops, and after watching many sim tests I just dont think the trauma of the .45 is so much better than a 9mm to make it such a clear choice. Dont get me wrong, love the .45. However from a totality of capability I also love the 9mm.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tnoutdoors9/featured
This guy has many sim tests with modern rounds of many calibers and it is very educational to see the wound channels from various rounds and compare the end result of bullet expansion in a fairly realistic test.

I think if you carry the right 9mm round your can place a couple rounds on target quickly, have lots of backup firepower and do comparable tissue trauma to larger rounds. I am sure some have trained to the level with the .45 they carry to be able to mostly match the speed and shot placement of the 9mm, but that is not true for me.

Seems to me .45 comes out ahead in tissue trauma by ~ 20% on average, as far as greater diameter after expansion and overall tissue damage (wound channel and expansion cavities), with the outlier data being between 10%/40% the expansion of the medium 9mm tests. (opinions, not an analysis of the hard data)

So .45 is the clear winner if all you are looking at is the tissue damage, but when I factor in how many rounds I can put on target how quickly, and how many I have available it because a much hairier choice. If all I had available was FMJ it would be a clear choice, but with modern rounds equalizing the overall expansion effects somewhat it becomes a closer analysis.

25oz 9mm with 18 rounds (Glock 17) vs a 45 oz .45 with 13 (Para hi cap), makes me go hmmmmmm.

-------

My own opinion of the Barreta is not a good one. You sacrifice size and weight while you gain nothing in round count over a Glock ect. Collecting it would be great, but for carry it would not be a choice for me. Maybe it was just me but when I shot one I did not seem to gain much shot to shot control from that weight either. YMMV.

j4l

9mm Vs .45 briefly.

Tissue trauma is what stops, and after watching many sim tests I just dont think the trauma of the .45 is so much better than a 9mm to make it such a clear choice. Dont get me wrong, love the .45. However from a totality of capability I also love the 9mm.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tnoutdoors9/featured
This guy has many sim tests with modern rounds of many calibers and it is very educational to see the wound channels from various rounds and compare the end result of bullet expansion in a fairly realistic test.

I think if you carry the right 9mm round your can place a couple rounds on target quickly, have lots of backup firepower and do comparable tissue trauma to larger rounds. I am sure some have trained to the level with the .45 they carry to be able to mostly match the speed and shot placement of the 9mm, but that is not true for me.

Seems to me .45 comes out ahead in tissue trauma by ~ 20% on average, as far as greater diameter after expansion and overall tissue damage (wound channel and expansion cavities), with the outlier data being between 10%/40% the expansion of the medium 9mm tests. (opinions, not an analysis of the hard data)

So .45 is the clear winner if all you are looking at is the tissue damage, but when I factor in how many rounds I can put on target how quickly, and how many I have available it because a much hairier choice. If all I had available was FMJ it would be a clear choice, but with modern rounds equalizing the overall expansion effects somewhat it becomes a closer analysis.

25oz 9mm with 18 rounds (Glock 17) vs a 45 oz .45 with 13 (Para hi cap), makes me go hmmmmmm.

-------

My own opinion of the Barreta is not a good one. You sacrifice size and weight while you gain nothing in round count over a Glock ect. Collecting it would be great, but for carry it would not be a choice for me. Maybe it was just me but when I shot one I did not seem to gain much shot to shot control from that weight either. YMMV.

Well, yes and no.. Despite actual street and battlefield results that have been well-documented for decades, there's all these "tests".

Thing is, in the real world, with clothed persons of varying builds, densities, body fat content, BONES, and a multitude of angles and intermediary objects in it's path, it is much more common for 9mm to consistently fail to do it's expected job. Wherein the .45 has demonstrated a documented tendancy to complete it's task -consistently-under the same circumstances.
It has a lot more to do with mass, and penetration -with plenty of energy behind it, than actual tissue damage or bleeding out through larger holes bored through folks. The larger bore AND heavier mass of the .45 rounds are less likely to be re-directed or deflected off-course (such as when it strikes bone, cartilage, dense fat tissues, or objects in the pockets of the target's clothing) than the 9mm.

The shot-placement folks always chime in, but there are many cases of folks making excellent groupings of multiple rounds to vital areas with 9mm, with no effective result. The plain reason being that ya, they hit the guy in the heart/lung area, but the rounds themselves either dont penetrate all the way in to those organs, or glance a rib on the way in, and end up zipping off to wind up in the guy's asss instead.
Or -you more often hear this with .22's etc. - head shots- where the rounds go straight to the head, but never breach the skull. Just end up riding around in circles beneath the skin- with 9mm and lesser rounds alike.
Im doubting anyone can find many cases of a 230 grain hardball failing to turn someone's noggin into pink and grey paste.. But 16 smaller rounds that never reach the vitals, despite being sent directly in the direction of the vitals is quiet different from actually going all the way in and doing the damage needed.

These arent opinions, and they arent said just to slam the 9mm or those who choose to use them. Cases like these can be seen almost nightly in almost every major, urban Trauma Center. That such cases arent always released to the public at large has more to do with privacy act issues, than a lack of their being seen and documented.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
A single properly placed shot with a .22lr will render any attacker neutral. The higher the caliber, the wider the target's vulnerability.

My concern with getting an M9 is it's short life expectancy. 15K rounds is what the minimum standards are supposed to be, but a decent pistol should be able to withstand more than that.

I really want to buy one for the matches I shoot, but since it sounds like the army is dumping the M9 anyway I reckon I'll wait to find out what they're going too adopt. An "inside source" suggests it will be something in a .45ACP though.

DocWalker

A single properly placed shot with a .22lr will render any attacker neutral. The higher the caliber, the wider the target's vulnerability.

My concern with getting an M9 is it's short life expectancy. 15K rounds is what the minimum standards are supposed to be, but a decent pistol should be able to withstand more than that.

I really want to buy one for the matches I shoot, but since it sounds like the army is dumping the M9 anyway I reckon I'll wait to find out what they're going too adopt. An "inside source" suggests it will be something in a .45ACP though.

The email that was sent out to the USAF security forces about a year ago said the DOD was leaning toward the Kimber 45 ACP. I can't remember what model or other details and I didn't forward it to my personnal email and contract I was working ended Septemeber 2011 so I can't get back to the emial. I will ask some of my friends at the base if they still have it and see if I can get a copy to post, but it was over a year ago.

j4l

I dont doubt the pistol would survive whatever amount of rounds you are even remotely likely to put through it.It's not a poorly made, or el-cheapo product, by any means. It just has some design bugs that I feel never got worked out properly, and the ergonomics of it just are not for me. The bugs though, would be deal-breakers for me, because you know that they will appear just when Mr. Murphy drops in to spoil all the fun.

As for the round, it is what it is, it just has some severe limits that I wouldnt ,willingly, choose over better rounds for defensive uses. There are a lot of die-hard folks who swear up and down by the 9mm. You'll notice that few of those have ever actually had to rely upon it though..provided they survive doing so, the next day they are seeking out a .45 :monkey

Xulld

Well, yes and no.. Despite actual street and battlefield results that have been well-documented for decades, there's all these "tests".

Excellent points in your post. I did have a minor grip with this statement. Is that documented data indicative of the modern +p defensive rounds such as the PDX1 bonded 9MM ammo? I know the answer is no, please forgive the rhetorical question, so I dont think this fact is as poignant as it seems.

My point was that as the technology of these rounds increase the gap in performance decreases.

The best performing .45 rounds compared to the least performing 9mm rounds has a difference of expansion of a huge margin, ~40%. Conversely the worst performing .45 compared to the best performing 9mm was a difference of less than 10%.

So I think these data points offer a perspective on how various ammo designs can have a large impact on overall performance, and in the totality of factors that effect carry if you are going to carry nothing becuase you cant deal with the ~30-50 Oz .45 then a small compact ~20-25oz 9mm with high performance ammo is an excellent alternative, especially if you end up with more rounds. (these weights also do not consider the significant weight of the rounds themselves, but represent unloaded with an empty mag weight)

That was really the meat of my point, which of course does not invalidate your points at all. Don't get me wrong my .44 and .45 are my back up truck guns! However with a bad back (broke 2 vertebrea, couple damaged discs), I have a real hard time carrying heavy guns on my person.

I just wish good real world data existed for all types of the modern exceptional ammunition on the market.

If one is going with just standard ball ammo, or hard cast lead nothing seems to indicate capability quite like the sectional density of the round, and mass has everything to do with that. So in that regard I could not agree more.

You'll notice that few of those have ever actually had to rely upon it
Fortunately outside of the military (who uses FMJ and thus the comparison is inappropriate) this is true of every person carrying. Too bad assassins dont fill out surveys, huh? << that was a joke btw.

Last edited:

j4l

Excellent points in your post. I did have a minor grip with this statement. Is that documented data indicative of the modern +p defensive rounds such as the PDX1 bonded 9MM ammo?

It applies to both battlefield use (usually FMJ) and street use with modern JHP loads as well. Just because a given, "modern" round may expand a little more (key word being may ), it's still in the same weight/mass class as before, and still subject to the same physics as ever.Possibly even worse now, as the rounds that do sometimes expand now tend to do so a lot earlier, and hence- dump their energy, and stop short of the vitals.
There's a lot of advertising/ marketing hype out there. A lot of it relying on "tests" on non-human media in lab conditions. And, as usual, a lot of folks buy into this hype blindly.
Real world isnt labratories- and you dont get to say "err. didnt like that result, let's go again.. "

Emergency rooms all over the land are full of the results. If willing to sign-off on the privacy act waivers/disclaimers, anyone on here can go to the local E/R and ask to sit in and observe for a night- you can even call it for "research" purposes. Have at it, THEN, come back and take up the 9mm/.45 debate.
It's an eye-opener for sure.

DWCook

Activist Member
I made a DRASTIC change on the pistol I was buying! lol sorry but I went and bought a Sig Sauer P220 45ACP for a new conceal carry. Its a new design generation meaning Sig made rounder and got rid of ALL the edges. I love the safety switch on the frame to put the hammer all the way foward for double action use, and then you can pull it back for a single action fire. I am also getting it dyno for better protection for the alloy frame. Never heard of the process before, but its apparently **** in a tube that you work into the frame and everything. You have to tear apart the trigger system, aka gutting the pistol. I paid $837 for the bastard, but I LOVE IT! Got me Zombie rounds and Federal Premium Hydrahshock rounds.

P.S. Don't mind the spelling errors as I am typing this on a REALLY small device!

j4l

I made a DRASTIC change on the pistol I was buying! lol sorry but I went and bought a Sig Sauer P220 45ACP for a new conceal carry. Its a new design generation meaning Sig made rounder and got rid of ALL the edges. I love the safety switch on the frame to put the hammer all the way foward for double action use, and then you can pull it back for a single action fire. I am also getting it dyno for better protection for the alloy frame. Never heard of the process before, but its apparently **** in a tube that you work into the frame and everything. You have to tear apart the trigger system, aka gutting the pistol. I paid $837 for the bastard, but I LOVE IT! Got me Zombie rounds and Federal Premium Hydrahshock rounds.

P.S. Don't mind the spelling errors as I am typing this on a REALLY small device!

Totally understand the typing bit- texting is completely out for me, personally lol. These big, thug fingers + tiny little mobile electronic device keys just dont mix lol.

Nice choice, Im sure it will serve you well. Was looking one of those over the other day, actually. Not that I intend to get one-just was curious. If you are intent on hollowpoints, be sure to try out some Gold Dots. 230-grainers, in my own tests, have consistently penetrated deep AND expanded fully, time and again.
But, it will ultimately come down to what your particular pistol "likes" so..

DangerClose

I was going to mention that. I've read life expectancy isn't so hot with them. For the Taurus version, at least it would have a lifetime warranty. The Beretta has a one-year warranty, and I've read many stories of lousy Beretta customer service.

Xulld

Excellent points in your post. I did have a minor grip with this statement. Is that documented data indicative of the modern +p defensive rounds such as the PDX1 bonded 9MM ammo?

It applies to both battlefield use (usually FMJ) and street use with modern JHP loads as well.
Not if you cannot control the variables it does not.

If you had the kind of granularity of data collection required to make this statement based on facts I would be surprised. The reality is that the data set you are referring to makes no distinction between FMJ and modern JHP ammo.

Which means that you cannot reach that conclusion based on that data set objectively.

It is interesting you mention physics. I am a physicist.

Here is a common comparison between these two rounds

Generic Average Example.
9 mm ft-lbf 383 joules 519
.45 ACP ft-lbf 416 joules 564

The difference is not appreciable.
F=MA, which means that you multiple mass times acceleration. The relationship between the physical properties of mass and acceleration are bound. However this does not tell the whole story, and its why appealing to physics alone is not enough, but we already agreed on that when earlier we mentioned trauma ect.

The reality is that the 9mm is fine compared to every other pistol cartridges. They all share the same limitations of limited mass and limited acceleration out of the limited amount of propellent available in the small form factor of all pistol cartridges, they all sit in a range of force from ~(350 ft-lbf to 700 ft-ibf), and ultimately all pistol rounds are underpowered if one shot kills are your goal.

So these facts then beg the question what other factors should be considered, since force and energy alone are not enough of a determining factor at this low energy range. This is why shot placement rules all when it comes to pistol cartridges. No pistol cartridge is excluded from this truism.

What causes death? What we know is this, people die when you shoot them in a vital organ. Loss of blood pressure results in cardiac arrest. Trauma to tissues causes loss of blood pressure.

^^ those are facts we can use, the real world data we cannot unless you have a way to compare apples to apples scenarios with exactly the same shot placement, with comparable rounds (JHP to JHP), with exact angle of hit, with identical physiology. ie impossible

So the best set of data to use is actually the lab data.

Objective testing gives you objective results. Does this directly correlate to the environment? No but the stats of each cartridge will correlate to the environment in comparable ways. ie the 9mm round interacts with the environment in the same way the .45 round does and this allows us to stack up the stats of each cartridge and understand more about them by doing so.

So . . . after my long ramble, my point is that as a physicist, I do not find the "real world" data sufficient to answer questions like these, becuase you cannot control for the various differences, the devil is in the details.

Now my caveat about choice.
To me it is a perfectly viable decision to say, I want to train extra hard with the .45 so that I can be equal in capability terms for shot placement as other smaller more controllable cartridges. There are plenty of "real world" examples of .45 not stopping a target when the shot hit them in the abdomen, or extremities, so as far as that goes we again have shot placement being vital regardless of pistol cartridge, and since we do not have hard data that provides a granularity of type of round, shot placement, angle of entry, bone interactions ect ect ect, we cannot really use this "real world" data to explain the totality of the set of circumstances.

When you view the stats of .45 next to 9mm for comparable cartridges you find they are in fact very similar. One travels faster, the other weighs more. They both produce similar energy profiles, one travels farther at a flatter trajectory, the other has a larger diameter. In comparable platforms one will have more rounds, the other will be slightly heavier.

I think when comparing all of the various differences of the cartridge alone, saying a .45 outperforms a 9mm by 20% is a good general estimate. However when you factor in cost, training, follow up shot speed, capacity, and ease of use you find that the two platforms have different qualities to offer without either being a clear hands down choice. I have put 15,000 rounds downrange with my Glock 34, and for me when I compare my own ability to hit a target quickly and at extended ranges I find I choose the 9mm, 10 out of 10 times. Now if I had more money to burn buying rounds for training, and had a .45 that I could carry more easily than my full size para hi cap, then Id probably carry .45.

If I feel I need more power, as I do when I am out camping, I do not choose the .45, its just not that big a step up the energy ladder. I pick a .44 mag with hot hunting rounds with large sectional densities. From 300-400 ft-lbs to 1000 is a huge jump.

So for me, power as the deciding factor in a personal defense cartridge for defending against humans, I just dont see a big enough difference (from the physics perspective it is often less than 50 ft-ilbf) in .45 to 9mm to care about that more than ease of use, training, speed, and my ability to carry the weapon.

Personally I think the entire meme of .45 vs 9mm has been overblown and when someone takes a stance that .45 has soo much more stopping power its more due to cultural bias than actual hard data with proper controls in place to do an apples to apples comparison.

Given all of that, I still think its more about personal choice, becuase the actual fundamentals are just not that different.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I was going to mention that. I've read life expectancy isn't so hot with them. For the Taurus version, at least it would have a lifetime warranty. The Beretta has a one-year warranty, and I've read many stories of lousy Beretta customer service.

A lifetime warranty? I'm sure your decedents will like that .. after you're gun is removed from your dead body.

I don't care about warranties too much ... I've just had issues with Taurus' pistols in the past ... send them in & they get repaired OK ... not sure if someone wanting to kill me will wait around though ...

j4l

"Given all of that, I still think its more about personal choice, becuase the actual fundamentals are just not that different."

As many of you seem to think, yes..But again, paper/formulas/gelatin are one thing- clothed people with bones inside them are something else, altogether. And when the two types are used on actual folks who are shooting back at you, one prevails far and above over the other.
But, lots of folks carry the 9mm, few of them ever have to use 9mm in action- and those who do, we usually end up refering to as "victims" :monkey

11B2O

Sorry j4l, but I have had guys with me in Iraq and Afghanistan that have had to use the 9mm and were not victims. I don't have preferable round so I am neutral in this debate. I will say though that in my combat experience, shot placement matters more than the size of the round. Unless of course your using .50 cal or larger. I've seen guys go down with well placed shots from a small 5.56mm round which hardly expands at all and I've seen guys take several 7.62mm's from horribly placed shots and still stay in the fight. Not all of these were long range either. Alot of shots taken in Iraq were mostly close quarters.

DocWalker

Sorry j4l, but I have had guys with me in Iraq and Afghanistan that have had to use the 9mm and were not victims. I don't have preferable round so I am neutral in this debate. I will say though that in my combat experience, shot placement matters more than the size of the round. Unless of course your using .50 cal or larger. I've seen guys go down with well placed shots from a small 5.56mm round which hardly expands at all and I've seen guys take several 7.62mm's from horribly placed shots and still stay in the fight. Not all of these were long range either. Alot of shots taken in Iraq were mostly close quarters.

I agree with you shot placement is critical.

As for the 5.56 round it was designed to make a mess of someone without killing them (shot placement will dictate that also) as if someone is critical it will take others to evacuate the wounded off the battle field.

The only reason the US military went to the 9mm was due to NATO and no other reason. Taking into account the shot placement I have seen (in Iraq and Afghanistan) more people able to "take" the 9mm round than take a larger round. I had multiple patients with multiple 9mm rounds in them that survived but not many hit by a 50 cal.....insert sarcastic joke here.

Even the USAF security forces are taught to shoot 3 round bursts with the 9mm..."two in the body and one in the head". This is partially due to one round not always being sufficiant and or your opponent wearing body armor.

It all comes down to shot placement and personal preference, for me I will always go with the bigger round as a 45 ACP will do more damage to someones nose than a 9mm even though they both might work I err on the side of bigger is better.