• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Janet Howell: Liar (PolitiFact)

Repeater

Well!

Sen. Janet Howell says its easier to by guns in Virginia than vote
"It’s going to be harder to vote in Virginia than it is now to buy a gun..."

Our ruling

Howell said it is becoming harder to vote in Virginia than buy a handgun.

There are more restrictions on buying a gun from a licensed dealer than voting. The firearm purchase requires more identification. The gun buyer has to go through a background check that the voter does not. And you can be more easily disqualified from buying a gun than you can be from voting.

Note however how PolitiFact takes a cheap shot at "private" sales.

VApatriot

I think, to be fair, they just told it like it is. I didn't notice any mistakes in their explanation of either dealer or private sales, and I would rate the accuracy here infinitely better than almost any news source. To be perfectly honest, in some ways (i.e. private sales) it is much easier to buy a gun than to vote, but, of course, I didn't see anything wrong with that. Both things (voting and gun ownership) are protected in the Constitution; however, only one of them comes implicitly with a restriction, and that is voting. There is no limit to the number of guns you can buy or when you can buy them, but there are limits to how many times and when you can vote. So I think, naturally, there should be more restrictions on voting, as to prevent abuses in the system.

Where Howell totally falls of the cliff is in thinking that things are changing drastically. In my analysis of this year's bills (including the voter ID bill) not much is actually getting easier or harder. Howell is being an average anti-gun, anti-freedom individual and spreading gloom and doom over nothing.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
I guess she would rather be place like Chicago where it is easier for the dead to vote than to acquire the means to protect yourself from becoming a dead voter.

sidestreet

Maybe, just maybe...,

this Hitlery Clinton wannabe should focus on passing a law that would make it harder for politicians to lie!!!

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
this Hitlery Clinton wannabe should focus on passing a law that would make it harder for politicians to lie!!!

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Your right - they lie regularly, but there is no piper to pay.