Thread: Is owning property really sufficient to get a CCW in Oregon?

Is owning property really sufficient to get a CCW in Oregon?

There's a section of the law that appears to say that, for purposes of getting a CCW, you're a resident of an (Oregon) county if you own property (statute doesn't say "residence") in that county. That would imply that even if you aren't a resident of Oregon or a state neighboring Oregon (the usual rules) you can still get a CCW. Indeed, that further implies that you'd get a resident, not a non-resident, permit because you are, for purposes of the statute, a resident. Is this a correct reading of the law? If so it gives a new purpose to owning a $50 tax parcel.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Care to cite the law?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe416 View Post
    Care to cite the law?
    I believe it's 166.291-9(c)

looks like the ownership of real property IS enough to get your oregon non resident, that and a demonstrable need... like um, self defense?
    *Disclaimer~ I am not an attorney, i do not give legal advice. Any opinion stated here is in no way meant to insinuate, imply, compel or encourage that you should do anything that is illegal either knowingly or otherwise. My answers however valid may not be complete or applicable to your individual situation. I strongly recommend that you do your own research, make your own decisions and hire an attorney for legal advice ~

Quote Originally Posted by Teddybearfrmhell View Post
    looks like the ownership of real property IS enough to get your oregon non resident, that and a demonstrable need... like um, self defense?
    I'm not sure you'd need to show demonstrable need, 9(c) applies to the resident section, which is shall issue.

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    I'm not sure you'd need to show demonstrable need, 9(c) applies to the resident section, which is shall issue.
    i stand corrected
    *Disclaimer~ I am not an attorney, i do not give legal advice. Any opinion stated here is in no way meant to insinuate, imply, compel or encourage that you should do anything that is illegal either knowingly or otherwise. My answers however valid may not be complete or applicable to your individual situation. I strongly recommend that you do your own research, make your own decisions and hire an attorney for legal advice ~

Quote Originally Posted by Teddybearfrmhell View Post
    i stand corrected
    Even if I am correct, there is still the matter of avoiding arrest or major hassle should you show a cop a resident CCW and a non-Oregon ID.

Even if I am correct, there is still the matter of avoiding arrest or major hassle should you show a cop a resident CCW and a non-Oregon ID.
    If they do their job properly, they would verify the permit with dispatch or their MDC and confirm it was valid.

I know several sheriff's offices offer non-resident permits (Ex. Grant County), however I don't know if the permit says Non-Resident or Resident on it. My Washington CPL says Resident and lists my OR DL #.
    Last edited by Dogbait; 02-27-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Interesting randian, thanks for pointing out this tidbit about residency and CHLs. I believe you're correct in your interpretation and I'd like to hear about the difficulty or ease in obtaining a CHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbait View Post
    I know several sheriff's offices offer non-resident permits (Ex. Grant County), however I don't know if the permit says Non-Resident or Resident on it. My Washington CPL says Resident and lists my OR DL #.
    My Josephine County (Oregon) permit does not say resident on it, however it does have my address thus indicating that I am a resident.

There's a section of the law that appears to say that, for purposes of getting a CCW, you're a resident of an (Oregon) county if you own property (statute doesn't say "residence") in that county. That would imply that even if you aren't a resident of Oregon or a state neighboring Oregon (the usual rules) you can still get a CCW. Indeed, that further implies that you'd get a resident, not a non-resident, permit because you are, for purposes of the statute, a resident. Is this a correct reading of the law? If so it gives a new purpose to owning a $50 tax parcel.
    For the purpose of a CHL, resident is defines as anyone who ownes or leases property, is registered to vote, or has a OR DL or ID card as per 166.291.

If you have any of those you are treated as a resident and it's shall-issue.

As far as carrying a second form of ID, it's not required, an Oregon CHL is all you need to carry.

I you are a non-resident, but live in a contiguous state, just get your permit from Grant Co. "All and Any Lawful purpose", is enough reason for Sheriff Palmer. If you do not live in a contiguous state, the property ownership might do it. I'd get the property in Grant Co. myself.

There is no such thing as a CCW in Oregon, only CHL's

My Multnomah county permit does not have anything on it listing me as a non resident.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by badger54; 05-11-2012 at 12:23 AM.
    WTT: Glock 27 for Glock 26