Thread: Question about being about to buy a gun

Question about being about to buy a gun

So here is a bit of back ground on me, hope someone can answer my question of point me to someone that can.

I'm from Canada "don't hold that against me"..lol and Wife is from New Orleans but she evacuated after Katrina, anyway we now both live in Shreveport and I already apply for green card which I should have hopefully late summer.

Now my question is will I have the same rights as a citizen??
    Will I be able to open carry? and get a CCW? Or will I have to wait the 3 year min before I can actually become a full citizen??

God I hope not, I want to be able to protect my family like anyone else..

Thanks in advance.

hold that against you?

why would we have anything against a maple syrup drinking, pill making, moose riding, hockey playing canuck that says aboot, zed and eh? Canada is America's hat. America is Canada's pants. You can't have one without the other.

Welcome to the United States.

now, to answer your question...I had to do some serious google-fu. I normally wouldn't spend this much time googling something for someone else, but I was intrigued by the question...plus it's for a Canadian, and I like Canadians . Also remember, IANAL, take what I say with a grain of salt, and you should probably do your own research.

As far as the US Gov't is concerned, it is legal for you to possess a firearm as an immigrant alien (I'm assuming this means you have to be a legal resident, which I'm guessing you are of Louisiana) or as a green card holder. Unfortunately though, the states are the ones the issue handgun permits, and it appears that you may have to be a US citizen to acquire a LA permit. I can't get the PDF for the law to load and this site's link doesn't work

http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.html

What that means for open carry, I couldn't tell you for sure. But seeing as how you need a permit to CC but not OC, you might be good to go. But like I said, do your own research.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by 55bowtie View Post
    Thanks for the link...

This blows so I have to have a green card for 3 years before I can apply for full citizenship, so during this time if someone breaks into my house I have to "Pray" as my self defense...

Quote Originally Posted by stunter2b View Post
    Thanks for the link...

This blows so I have to have a green card for 3 years before I can apply for full citizenship, so during this time if someone breaks into my house I have to "Pray" as my self defense...
    Shoot them with your wife's gun. I'm sure she has more than one and I'm sure the perp won't care to whom it belongs.

Wink Simpson Episode

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    hold that against you?

why would we have anything against a maple syrup drinking, pill making, moose riding, hockey playing canuck that says aboot, zed and eh? Canada is America's hat. America is Canada's pants. You can't have one without the other.
    In an epsiode set at Niagara Falls, the Americans accuse the Canadians of being "maple-sucking puck chasers" (or was it puck-chasing maple suckers?) and the Canadians counter by accusing the U.S. of being "Shatner-stealing Mexico touchers." Personally, I'd rather be the former than the latter.
    Last edited by Eeyore; 02-28-2012 at 01:26 AM.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Quote Originally Posted by stunter2b View Post
    Thanks for the link...

My reading of the linked page indicates to me that as long as you have your green card and you have established 90 days of residence in LA that you can both buy a firearm and open carry it as allowed in LA http://opencarry.org/la.html . You just can't get a concealed carry license until you are a citizen.

On the other hand, had you stayed in Canada for your entire life from birth to death, even praying for self-defense may have got you in hot water if the intruder were of a protected class and offended by the faith exhibited in your prayer. I'm just sayin' ...

legal immigrants that are a resident of a state are not prohibited from purchasing a firearm(as far as I know) and states don't have any laws about nonUS citizens.
    Last edited by Daylen; 02-28-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

PM-msg. ...

Check your PM-Mgs. ....

As soon as you have your green card, you're good. If Louisiana won't issue a concealed carry license to a non-citizen, you can still carry in your vehicle, and open carry when on foot.

Plus, Texas doesn't limit licenses to citizens -- you can hop right over the line and get a Texas CHL, which is valid in Louisiana. (Subject to verification -- some states only accept licenses from other states for residents of those states. I don't think La. does this, but I invite correction.)

Another thing -- the 90 day in-state residency requirement for green card holders was done away with. Don't expect all dealers to be aware of the change, though.

The concealed handgun permit law repeatedly refers to "citizens", but according to the law booklet,

"Citizen―any person legally residing in Louisiana and who has been a resident for six months or longer immediately preceding the filing of an application for a concealed handgun permit."

http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chRuleBook08.pdf

Banned
    Isn't Canada our 51st state? How you like the weather in LA .. nice & cool huh?
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 02-28-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks to all that responded, as for CCW I'm not overly concern with that one, do I want it, YES will I cry about it MAYBE..lol

What I want more is to be able to have one in my house, to be able to buy hand guns, and go to shooting range and have a great day with folks like you...Do I want to open carry maybe, Not sure if I want to while riding on a motorcycle I bet you that would hurt to bail and land on top of your gun..

Again Thanks guys..