• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing while playing drums??? problem?

Pagan

Could playing the drums be a problem while OCing? could it cause a AD? I heard of a MRI setting off a cops gun and I have heard of shooting guns while having a loaded one on your hip go off from the vibrations.

I conceal while playing all the time at shows, because most club owners are retarded about guns, never had an issue...

Dreamer

Unless you're carrying a feather-trigger single-action revolver with the hammer back, or a 1911 with a broken safety mechanism, or a REAL POS pot-metal $100 pocket gun, you shouldn't have any issued. If F-16 pilots can carry sidearms pulling several Gs and F/A-18 pilots can slam down on heaving aircraft carriers and be shot off the deck with a steam-powered slingshot, and back in the day Corsair pilots could fly prop planes to and from aircraft carriers, I don't think a little vibration of playing a drum kit is going to cause a ND.

Get a good holster, keep your gun in good working order. If you have a manual safety, make sure it is engaged.

KNOW YOUR MANUAL OF ARMS for your specific firearm...

Carry on.

Felix

...I heard of a MRI setting off a cops gun...

I remember reading about that incident some 10 years ago or so. The officer stupidly took a 1911 (Condition I) into the MRI suite...and it was sucked out of his hand into the MRI tube and an AD took place! I call it an AD because the safety was shown to be properly engaged during the post-discharge investigation by a ballistics lab who concluded that the force of the magnetic field was responsible for the discharge. OTOH, I suppose a case (albeit weak) could be made that it should more properly be categorized an ND.

Taking his firearm into the MRI suite violated all the salient notes in the MRI consent form he signed which cautioned against taking anything metallic past the MRI patient waiting area. Plus the form further requires the patient to notify the technician/operator if they have things like pacemakers, artificial limbs, metal pins or metal parts in the body to include metal heart valves, metal clips, metal ear implants, tattooed eyeliner, prosthetic medical devices, possibility of metal fragments in the body (especially eyes) due to work environment (e.g., machine shop operator) and a host of other stipulations.

Luckily no one was injured and the machine was back in operation soon thereafter.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You should be OK, unless you are backing a rapper in which case they often go off by themselves. :D

or you're playing the 1812 Overture:lol:

[video=youtube;O9Dct0l2uVM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Dct0l2uVM&feature=related[/video]

vt357

Not that Mythbusters is the end-all-be-all on issues like this, but they did an episode on that myth. The official myth is that a Russian mobster had a loaded sks in his car which had a crazy loud sound system and the vibrations from the bass caused the gun to discharge. On the show they could not get the guns to fire no matter how much they turned up the sound (so loud it there's no way you could be in the car with it playing).